Why did Dan Wright get a Save last night?..

T R U

How?

I thought you could only get a save by pitching in a save opportunity

Straight out of the Official Baseball Rules.........

SAVES FOR RELIEF PITCHERS

Credit a pitcher with a save when he meets all three of the following conditions: (1) He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his club; and (2) He is not the winning pitcher; and (3) He qualifies under one of the following conditions: (a) He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning; or (B) He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, or at bat, or on deck (that is, the potential tying run is either already on base or is one of the first two batsmen he faces); or © He pitches effectively for at least three innings. No more than one save may be credited in each game.

Because the rules doesn't exclude blowouts.  I agree that it seems dumb, but the rules allow for it, so the pitcher deserves it if he does his job.

So the official scorer has no discretion at all in those games, correct?

So the official scorer has no discretion at all in those games, correct?

His discretion is if he felt the pitcher pitched effectively. Why would he take away a stat from a guy who earned it according to the rules? The save rule has been the same since it was originated. Pitchers get a few cheap saves like this every year. You just now waking up and catching this? :D

There is no doubt that the save rule can be somewhat deceptive. I get your point, but this doesn't happen often enough for me to go on a "change the save rule" campaign.

The rule has been that way for 30 years or so.......  why b**** now?

The same reason, to a lessor extent, as why blacks b****ed about not receiving equality for some many years. Because its still wrong, no matter how long it has existed.