6/25 Games

Dunt

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jun 25, 2013 -> 08:23 PM)
I hope he's promoted to Great Falls by the time I get to see them next month.

Very rarely do they move a player from Bristol to GF in-season. That's a long trip to put someone on, for essentially no change in level of competition. The Sox use the two rookie teams for different purposes, but the leagues themselves aren't vastly different, so it doesn't buy you anything.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 25, 2013 -> 09:13 PM)
I stand by my prediction that Michael Earley will make it to the majors before the trio of Thompson, Walker and Mitchell, although Thompson's stock is trending up in past weeks.

Really? I mean, I do think Earley is a guy worth keeping an eye on. Probably in the 30-40 range on a top prospect list. But you think he's in the majors before Thompson? I'd say Earley's chances of seeing the majors at all are pretty slim.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 25, 2013 -> 10:08 PM)
Very rarely do they move a player from Bristol to GF in-season. That's a long trip to put someone on, for essentially no change in level of competition. The Sox use the two rookie teams for different purposes, but the leagues themselves aren't vastly different, so it doesn't buy you anything.

Sometimes they shift a few guys if Great Falls is going to make the playoffs.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 25, 2013 -> 09:13 PM)
I stand by my prediction that Michael Earley will make it to the majors before the trio of Thompson, Walker and Mitchell, although Thompson's stock is trending up in past weeks.

Needs to have a higher SLG%. He won't sniff the bigs if he can't slug over .475.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 25, 2013 -> 10:05 PM)
Any chance of Thompson being ready next year? Move ADA to LF and Viciedo to DH/1B.

Maybe 20-25%?

Wouldn't count on him until at least July/August, 2014.

Then again, they might trade DeAza/Viciedo and force the issue, although Danks and Wise (and possibly even Tekotte) would be more likely to receive that playing time.

Who knows what they're thinking.

There is absolutely no reason for Thompson to be in opening day lineup next year. I don't care if we trade Rios & De Aza, you should not rush a top prospect to fill a hole at the major league level. You go out and find stop-gap in free agency like Granderson or give a guy like Jordan Danks a shot. Thompson will need some seasoning at AAA to start next season. Maybe around the All-Star break you can consider calling him up, but otherwise 2015 should be the target for him becoming an everday regular for us.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 12:05 AM)
Any chance of Thompson being ready next year? Move ADA to LF and Viciedo to DH/1B.

If you want him to spend 3 years struggling to adjust to big league pitching a-la beckham, and maybe develop some bad habits from which he never recovers (a-la Anderson perhaps?) sure.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 25, 2013 -> 04:53 PM)
I'm surprised to be honest. He has some of the best numbers in the minors.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 25, 2013 -> 04:55 PM)
This is the thing you should remember with prospect lists. No matter how good someone performs...the guys making those lists play favorites. Not necessarily even on purpose; they go to see teams they believe are loaded and they like guys who others like.

Some of it's favorites, some of it is a very low hit rate playing in a pitcher's park without an excellent K/9. I have high hopes for Johnson and think he'll be fine.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 25, 2013 -> 10:08 PM)
Really? I mean, I do think Earley is a guy worth keeping an eye on. Probably in the 30-40 range on a top prospect list. But you think he's in the majors before Thompson? I'd say Earley's chances of seeing the majors at all are pretty slim.

In terms of ceiling, yes. But he does have a higher floor than most of the "prospects" higher than him on that list.

If he continues to hit around .300 this year, he would be in Charlotte by next year and will be worth a call up if someone goes down, or just as a September flyer. I, along with most poster, believe that we should not rush Thompson to the majors, there is no reason to. Let him take his time and he could be a solid regular by 2015.