6/26 Games

flavum

QUOTE (staxx @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 06:45 PM)
why does it seem like Phegley never plays anymore

I noticed the same thing. He should get day games after nights off behind the plate, but why don't they DH him periodically? You'd think that would help him stay in a groove with his batting, and it certainly isn't doing the big league club any favors to have the collection of retreads they trot out as DH getting those AB's instead. This club mystifies me sometimes...

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 12:51 AM)
I noticed the same thing. He should get day games after nights off behind the plate, but why don't they DH him periodically? You'd think that would help him stay in a groove with his batting, and it certainly isn't doing the big league club any favors to have the collection of retreads they trot out as DH getting those AB's instead. This club mystifies me sometimes...

Maybe they are being cautious with him due to his injury and illness history.

I think they are resting Phegley, partly due to what ptatc mentions, but also to make sure he has the gas to do well later in the season when he MIGHT be in Chicago.

As for Anderson, I saw a nice video on YouTube of him by a Bullpen Banter guy. I watched it from my phone but can't access YouTube here, so I apologize for not providing a link. Anderson's swing looks smooth and efficient, thought not a ton of bat speed from what I can tell on a couple viewings. The guy who tweeted the link also talked about him rushing things on defense, one-hopping throws. Probably trying to be too fancy, happens a lot with new guys.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 09:46 AM)
I think the posters above have it right. They have to be resting Phegley considering his injury history and the fact that when he does sit, McDade and Lars Anderson are getting the ABs.

Its either that or they are trying to hide him from being exposed.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 08:47 AM)
Its either that or they are trying to hide him from being exposed.

Can he really legitimately bring back anything of value or return in trade?

Well...I guess it worked with Soptic, so who knows.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 01:10 PM)
Sure, and considering how similar Soptic and Phegley are as prospects it's basically just syllogism right?

Phegley - 25 yo, 5th year, college draftee, unique injury history, catcher, late success, MLB ready.

Soptic - 22 yo, 3rd year, HS draftee, no injury history, big arm, minimal statistical success, ways off.

So why was Soptic mentioned again?

Because of Tyler Flowers and David Holmberg. And because of the package that the Rangers got from the Braves in the Mark Teixeira deal.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 11:10 AM)
Sure, and considering how similar Soptic and Phegley are as prospects it's basically just syllogism right?

Phegley - 25 yo, 5th year, college draftee, unique injury history, catcher, late success, MLB ready.

Soptic - 22 yo, 3rd year, HS draftee, no injury history, big arm, minimal statistical success, ways off.

So why was Soptic mentioned again?

Why do they have to have similar values?

Nobody thought that Jeff Soptic was going to be able to fetch 2/3rd's of an effective starter at 3B. He was on the fringe of being a Top 10 prospect in the Sox system, similarly to Phegley earlier in his career and now again.

Every prospect has X/Y/Z value to other teams. Phegley's is pretty minimal...which is why "hiding/protecting" him doesn't make sense for trade purposes....only if he's having health issues again.

The ONLY way he really has any trade value is if he produces at the major league level. Otherwise, he's more of a throw-in. But that doesn't mean he would get nothing at all back in return for the Sox.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 07:28 PM)
Two Errors for Anderson

I read in a fangraphs(I believe) article about Micah Johnson that the infield in Kanny is one of the worst at any level. Can anyone else touch on this? Has there been a middle infielder that has seemingly sucked in Kanny that has seemingly gotten better at the next level?

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 01:18 PM)
I read in a fangraphs(I believe) article about Micah Johnson that the infield in Kanny is one of the worst at any level. Can anyone else touch on this? Has there been a middle infielder that has seemingly sucked in Kanny that has seemingly gotten better at the next level?

Players get better when they go from A- to A+ all the time, regardless of the field, because they get better.

Regarding Phegley, let's not forget that catchers sit. It's not an everyday position. It's a most days position. There could be something else going on or it could just be that they feel they overworked him early and are trying to give him a midseason break of sorts.