5 up, 5 down

QuickJones81

Here is a list of players on the move right now, both in a good way and a bad way. This is not the hottest or the coldest, but people making the biggest jump or fall over the previous 5 appearances.

Up

Jeremy Dowdy

Andy Wilkins

Marcus Semien

Kyle Hansen

Brandon Brennan

Down

Courtney Hawkins

Keenyn Walker

Miguel Gonzalez

Jake Cose

Storm Throne

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 11:05 AM)
Here is a list of players on the move right now, both in a good way and a bad way. This is not the hottest or the coldest, but people making the biggest jump or fall over the previous 5 appearances.

Up

Jeremy Dowdy

Andy Wilkins

Marcus Semien

Kyle Hansen

Brandon Brennan

Down

Courtney Hawkins

Keenyn Walker

Miguel Gonzalez

Jake Cose

Storm Throne

I don't have time to look it up right now since I am at work, but hasn't Keenyn Walker been putting it together lately after a terrible start to the season. I know in yesterday's game he was 0-3 but had 3 walks and scored 3 runs and had a SB or 2.

Edited by kevo880

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 01:13 PM)
I don't have time to look it up right now since I am at work, but hasn't Keenyn Walker been putting it together lately after a terrible start to the season. I know in yesterday's game he was 0-3 but had 3 walks and scored 3 runs and had a SB or 2.

Hitting .257 with a .396 OBP in June, but carried by the numbers for the start of the month; only hitting .179 over the last 10 games (.347 OBP in that stretch though).

Hitting .257 with a .396 OBP in June, but carried by the numbers for the start of the month; only hitting .179 over the last 10 games (.347 OBP in that stretch though).

[/quote

Maybe he's working on pitch recognition and taking alot more walks because of it.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 02:45 PM)
If Walker could hit .250 with his pitch recognition/on base skills and speed he could be an awesome #9 hitter. I am starting to warm up to him. Hopefully he finished this year strong and carries it into next year.

Have there been any reports about how he is defensively?

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 02:05 PM)
Recent reports say lots of improvement since we drafted him. He has great speed and an above average arm and a lot of scouts love his defense so I would think he gets decent reads/take the right routes.

He is a guy I have been down on in the past. I really think people on here and at WSI overvalued him because of him being the first pick of ours in '11. Now while his status as a prospect has cooled off, I really am starting to like him more. He has a great approach, takes walks, great speed and above average defense in CF. I really think if he improves his hit tool he can be a valuable player/prospect down the road (hopefully next year).

Yup, Walker still has the skillset/tools to be a valuable player. It will all come down to him making more contact while retaining his BB rate.

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 12:05 PM)

Up

Jeremy Dowdy

Andy Wilkins

Marcus Semien

Kyle Hansen

Brandon Brennan

Down

Courtney Hawkins

Keenyn Walker

Miguel Gonzalez

Jake Cose

Storm Throne

I'd put Throne on the opposite list. He was unheard of (except for the cool name) until the last month or two, when we started getting a read on his arm. He's got a special one, so he's worth keeping an eye on. Certainly not on the way down.

And Brennan has been getting better, but he's not really ascending all that fast just yet. And he's raw.

Jeremy Dowdy?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 02:45 PM)
I'd put Throne on the opposite list. He was unheard of (except for the cool name) until the last month or two, when we started getting a read on his arm. He's got a special one, so he's worth keeping an eye on. Certainly not on the way down.

And Brennan has been getting better, but he's not really ascending all that fast just yet. And he's raw.

Jeremy Dowdy?

Jeremy Dowdy was an undrafted free agent who has 80 career plate appearances.

I think these guys look at numbers and decide whether they're up or down and don't take anything into context

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 12:54 PM)
And I'm not sure how Miguel Gonzalez is on the down list. I think a lot of people forgot he was still in the organization until they saw him hitting .280 in a AA box score. He's still barely a prospect, but that has nothing to with his performance recently.

He's also known for his defensive abilities and having a rocket arm. Anything we get out of him on offense is just a bonus.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)
Jeremy Dowdy was an undrafted free agent who has 80 career plate appearances.

I think these guys look at numbers and decide whether they're up or down and don't take anything into context

I should have explained better. This is strictly by stats, and does not represent who is moving up and down the top prospect list. It's simply who is having the greatest rate of change in both directions. So for instance Micah Johnson has been hot, but he's been hot all season, so he wouldn't be on a list like this. I use it as an aid to see who is starting to turn things around, or who is starting to go into a tailspin. Its an early indicator.

Edited by QuickJones81