NBA Thread 2013-2014

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22877...uit-Falls-Short

WTF - The Bulls were the frontrunners from Monta? Get the f*** back on the phone GAR/PAX. Figure out a way...pay the f***ing tax. Monte is an excellent fit for this squad (assuming he can play within the offense and Thibs can teach him some defense). He should really allow the Bulls offense to spread out and I'd anticipate he'd get a lot of open jumpers with Rose. He could also get some minutes at the back up point and gives the Bulls two solid ball handlers.

Wonder who the Bulls were trying to trade? I assume Hinrich would have been involved.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 10:53 PM)

WTF - The Bulls were the frontrunners from Monta? Get the f*** back on the phone GAR/PAX. Figure out a way...pay the f***ing tax. Monte is an excellent fit for this squad (assuming he can play within the offense and Thibs can teach him some defense). He should really allow the Bulls offense to spread out and I'd anticipate he'd get a lot of open jumpers with Rose. He could also get some minutes at the back up point and gives the Bulls two solid ball handlers.

Wonder who the Bulls were trying to trade?

I'd much rather have Nate.

Wonder who the Bulls were trying to trade? I assume Hinrich would have been involved.

I like Ellis. But he'd have to really change his game to fit in with a team like the Bulls. He'd be ideal on a team like Denver or, of course, GS.

Ellis a good player but he is a bad jump shooter. He would not help the Bulls with spacing when he is in the game with Rose.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 11:01 PM)
Artest apparently interested in the Bulls. I assume he'd be willing to take close to the league minimum. Might not be a bad depth move. Nice defender off the bench.

For all I know, we do need a good backup for Deng. Because we know Thibs won't play Snell much.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 11:01 PM)
Ellis a good player but he is a bad jump shooter. He would not help the Bulls with spacing when he is in the game with Rose.

All he can really do is give the Bulls a second scoring option when Rose isn't playing.

If anything, getting Ellis would be taking playing time away from Butler.

I love the idea of the Bulls FO actually doing SOMETHING that isn't a low-profile signing or a irrelevant trade, but this wasn't what I really had in mind.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 09:00 PM)
I like Ellis. But he'd have to really change his game to fit in with a team like the Bulls. He'd be ideal on a team like Denver or, of course, GS.

I like him because he gives the Bulls something they don't really have. Plus, unlike other Bulls fans, I don't give a s*** if Uncle Jerry has to pay some luxury tax. You have a team thats close...pay the f***ing tax and do whatever you can to get the roster better. I'm sick of falling just short. We have a star, lets do whatever we can to continously make the team better. I'd love to see what Jerry Buss (RIP) or Cuban would have been able to do the past two years (knowing they'd have been open to spending money for a championship). Jerry is only spending if it is a total no brainer (vs. just makes them somewhat better). If it makes you better, do the deal...case closed.

If it fails, as long as you aren't completely stupid in the money you give out, you can always sell and get other assets, etc.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 09:01 PM)

When I watch Ellis, I always thought of him more as a guy who would be a solid shooter, if it weren't for the fact that he takes a lot of really bad shots. Statistically though, he probably is what he is, which is a lousy long distance shooter so he probably doesn't help with the spacing. Definitely gives the Bulls one other guy who can create offense (which they'll need against teams like Miami when someone like LBJ guards Rose).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 11:03 PM)
I like him because he gives the Bulls something they don't really have. Plus, unlike other Bulls fans, I don't give a s*** if Uncle Jerry has to pay some luxury tax. You have a team thats close...pay the f***ing tax and do whatever you can to get the roster better. I'm sick of falling just short. We have a star, lets do whatever we can to continously make the team better. I'd love to see what Jerry Buss (RIP) or Cuban would have been able to do the past two years (knowing they'd have been open to spending money for a championship). Jerry is only spending if it is a total no brainer (vs. just makes them somewhat better). If it makes you better, do the deal...case closed.

If it fails, as long as you aren't completely stupid in the money you give out, you can always sell and get other assets, etc.

I don't think it's really a money thing. It's more of a philosophy thing. The Bulls FO is just extremely conservative. Any deal that doesn't vastly improve the team just won't be done.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 11:03 PM)

No argument here. The Bulls' front office is lamer than the pathetic Lone Ranger movie.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 09:03 PM)
All he can really do is give the Bulls a second scoring option when Rose isn't playing.

If anything, getting Ellis would be taking playing time away from Butler.

I love the idea of the Bulls FO actually doing SOMETHING that isn't a low-profile signing or a irrelevant trade, but this wasn't what I really had in mind.

Between Deng, Rose, Butler, and Ellis, there would be plenty of minutes to go around, imo. Especially since Hinrich would have to be going elsewhere. Now if the trade invovled Mrotic or the Bobcats pick, count me out.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 11:06 PM)
When I watch Ellis, I always thought of him more as a guy who would be a solid shooter, if it weren't for the fact that he takes a lot of really bad shots. Statistically though, he probably is what he is, which is a lousy long distance shooter so he probably doesn't help with the spacing. Definitely gives the Bulls one other guy who can create offense (which they'll need against teams like Miami when someone like LBJ guards Rose).

Nate Robinson can do what Monta does for a hell of a lot cheaper (with better 3 point shooting to boot).

And you don't have to start him or give him starter's minutes on top of that.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 11:07 PM)
Between Deng, Rose, Butler, and Ellis, there would be plenty of minutes to go around, imo. Especially since Hinrich would have to be going elsewhere. Now if the trade invovled Mrotic or the Bobcats pick, count me out.

I was reading RealGM and nitetrain said they were offering Boozer, Teague, and draft picks. Hinrich wasn't going anywhere.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 09:06 PM)
I don't think it's really a money thing. It's more of a philosophy thing. The Bulls FO is just extremely conservative. Any deal that doesn't vastly improve the team just won't be done.

My problem is, this is the Bulls. This isn't the White Sox who don't generate massive revenue. Bulls are one of the most profitable NBA franchises in the league and a total cash cow. I'm tired of seeing other franchises willing to get better by purely taking on some contracts.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 09:09 PM)
I was reading RealGM and nitetrain said they were offering Boozer, Teague, and draft picks. Hinrich wasn't going anywhere.

Where is that from? That would be an interesting move? I wonder if that would have opened up a way to land Aldridge (albeit the Blazers demands have been insane). Maybe they think they can get Pau. I don't know that trading Boozer for Ellis makes the Bulls better (even though I realize everyone thinks losing Boozer is addition by subtraction).

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 09:08 PM)
Nate Robinson can do what Monta does for a hell of a lot cheaper (with better 3 point shooting to boot).

And you don't have to start him or give him starter's minutes on top of that.

Not near the defensive liability as Nate (and that isn't a compliment to Monte). Nate is just a disaster on D though. Ellis is much better then Nate. Nate is the better shooter though. Lets not compare a guy who is a 20 PPG scorer with 5-6 APG over multiple NBA seasons to Nate. Not fair.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 11:10 PM)
My problem is, this is the Bulls. This isn't the White Sox who don't generate massive revenue. Bulls are one of the most profitable NBA franchises in the league and a total cash cow. I'm tired of seeing other franchises willing to get better by purely taking on some contracts.

At this point, the Bulls FO can't do much in terms of spending money. Last year or two years ago? Yeah what you say is valid. But they're in the tax and over the cap. The only way to make big moves is by trades and with how the Bulls are philosophically, they're not going to give up an arm and a leg just to have another star on the team when in reality it doesn't make them much better.

Edited by chw42

I wouldn't give up anything remotely useful for Ellis or pay him anything close to the contract he turned down from the Bucks.

He can get to the rim, but he does so much other stupid s*** to negate that value. He shot 28.7% from three last year and took FOUR per game. He really loves the long pull-up jumper with 18 seconds left on the shot clock. All of his dumb shots make him less efficient than Luol Deng, only he uses even more possessions. That's his BETTER end of the floor too, Thibs might murder him before the first game because of his defense.

Seriously, Nate was better last year at 1/10th the expected price.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 11:13 PM)
Not near the defensive liability as Nate (and that isn't a compliment to Monte). Nate is just a disaster on D though. Ellis is much better then Nate. Nate is the better shooter though. Lets not compare a guy who is a 20 PPG scorer with 5-6 APG over multiple NBA seasons to Nate. Not fair.

The only thing Ellis does better is by being taller.

Ellis has the ability to guard small 2s and 1s. But he's only 6'4 and he's not exactly what most people call a good defender.

If Nate got the minutes Ellis got with the volume of shots he throws up, Nate would score 20 PPG too. Just go look at Nate's Per 36 numbers.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 11:13 PM)

Nate seriously was better last year. Don't let Monta's high usage rate fool you, Robinson's PER was a point higher, his TS% was like 5 points higher and he had the same points and more assists per 40 than Monta did and a lower turnover rate. Now you can say that Nate usually isn't that good, but a $10 million a year player shouldn't be remotely comparable to a veteran minimum guy.

Edited by ZoomSlowik