NBA Thread 2013-2014

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 08:31 PM)
Let me put it this way...

Flip Boozer, Deng and Dunleavy for KG, Pierce and AK47 and the Bulls would probably be the favorite. The Nets aren't going to win 60 games. I'd say 55 is their ceiling (I expect 50-52). They'll be a nightmare in the postseason if reasonably healthy.

Those three guys for the Nets are the only reason anyone is worried about them. Before they merged with the Celtics, the Nets lost a playoff series to a Bulls' team that was virtually playing on crutches.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 08:36 PM)
Those three guys for the Nets are the only reason anyone is worried about them. Before they merged with the Celtics, the Nets lost a playoff series to a Bulls' team that was virtually playing on crutches.

Terry, too. They're going to stretch the s*** out of teams with their 3-point shooting. That's how you beat Miami.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 08:51 PM)
Terry, too. They're going to stretch the s*** out of teams with their 3-point shooting. That's how you beat Miami.

Slowing down Miami on defense is a much bigger part of beating/pushing them. The jury is still out on that front. Lopez is a fairly big liability at the middle of their defense and several of their other players are issues now that they're past their peak. It can't all fall on KG and AK47.

They'll be an interesting team. Certainly they have offensive talent, but I need to see if they can stop people and/or keep up with more athletic teams before putting them above Chicago and Indiana.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 09:02 PM)
Slowing down Miami on defense is a much bigger part of beating/pushing them. The jury is still out on that front. Lopez is a fairly big liability at the middle of their defense and several of their other players are issues now that they're past their peak. It can't all fall on KG and AK47.

They'll be an interesting team. Certainly they have offensive talent, but I need to see if they can stop people and/or keep up with more athletic teams before putting them above Chicago and Indiana.

Chicago and Indiana have "slowed" them down and all they've done is lose. Dallas/SA have proven what it takes to beat Miami. Fair point on their overall defensive abilities. They'll definitely be better. KG/AK alone do that. But they don't have to be a defensive juggernaut with their offensive firepower.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 09:10 PM)
Chicago and Indiana have "slowed" them down and all they've done is lose. Dallas/SA have proven what it takes to beat Miami. Fair point on their overall defensive abilities. They'll definitely be better. KG/AK alone do that. But they don't have to be a defensive juggernaut with their offensive firepower.

Well no s***, you need both to actually win it all. That said, the Pacers made them sweat despite finishing 20th in offensive efficiency last year and Boston did it at 27th (albiet without Bosh). San Antonio was 7th O and 3rd D, the Mavs were 8th in both. The Nets were 17th in defensive efficiency last year, they need to move up around 10 spots to be a real threat. If you have to score 100 every game against the Heat to win, you're going to lose. Prime KG makes that big a difference no question, 37 year old KG not as much. Offense wasn't their main problem last year, they finished 8th in offensive efficiency. They'll be better, whether they're a "contender" remains to be seen.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 09:21 PM)
Well no s***, you need both to actually win it all. That said, the Pacers made them sweat despite finishing 20th in offensive efficiency last year and Boston did it at 27th (albiet without Bosh). San Antonio was 7th O and 3rd D, the Mavs were 8th in both. The Nets were 17th in defensive efficiency last year, they need to move up around 10 spots to be a real threat. If you have to score 100 every game against the Heat to win, you're going to lose. Prime KG makes that big a difference no question, 37 year old KG not as much. Offense wasn't their main problem last year, they finished 8th in offensive efficiency. They'll be better, whether they're a "contender" remains to be seen.

lol@make them sweat. Stop with the 1992 Knicks nonsense. 37-year old KG makes the same difference defensively as prime KG - just in 30 minutes instead of 40. Which is why the Nets won't win 60 games. The object is to get him through the regular season healthy and unleash him in the playoffs. Throw in AK and his overall versatility and Pierce (underrated defender) and it's not hard to see a much improved d-rating. If they're not a contender, then neither are the Bulls and Pacers. I don't need to see a bad movie two/three times to come to the conclusion that it's a bad movie. The Nets are the most talented eastern conference team of the big three era.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 09:39 PM)
lol@make them sweat. Stop with the 1992 Knicks nonsense. 37-year old KG makes the same difference defensively as prime KG - just in 30 minutes instead of 40. Which is why the Nets won't win 60 games. The object is to get him through the regular season healthy and unleash him in the playoffs. Throw in AK and his overall versatility and Pierce (underrated defender) and it's not hard to see a much improved d-rating. If they're not a contender, then neither are the Bulls and Pacers. I don't need to see a bad movie two/three times to come to the conclusion that it's a bad movie. The Nets are the most talented eastern conference team of the big three era.

Okay, fine, the series had to go 7 games without Granger, but they have NO CHANCE of winning whatsoever. :huh:

The Nets have the best "names" of the Big 3 Era. There's a difference.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Last note: I'm not saying the Nets are definitively out of the picture. I definitely think they're better than the rest of the East. What I said was I have to see how it works before I put them above one of the other three "contenders" in the East. I have considerably more faith in the Bulls and Pacers (and obviously the Heat).

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 10:00 PM)
Last note: I'm not saying the Nets are definitively out of the picture. I definitely think they're better than the rest of the East. What I said was I have to see how it works before I put them above one of the other three "contenders" in the East. I have considerably more faith in the Bulls and Pacers (and obviously the Heat).

You can say they're out of it. They're better than the rest of the east but they're not on the same level as the top 3, they just aren't.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 09:46 PM)
Okay, fine, the series had to go 7 games without Granger, but they have NO CHANCE of winning whatsoever. :huh:

The Nets have the best "names" of the Big 3 Era. There's a difference.

Worked so well for the lakers last year...

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 11:45 PM)
Miami? No. The other two? Stop it.

It's a team with slow and old players run by a rookie head coach who is going to want to run, run, run. It's a perfect recipe for poor defense, fatigue, and injuries. Hell, the Knicks might be better. If you want to talk about a team that can space the floor and drill it from 3, that is the team that can do it. And they still get rolled by the Heat.

I just don't think Pierce and Garnett are a good fit schematically on that team. Take those 2 (and Terry, I guess) away from the Nets, and you are looking at a team that suffered a 1st round loss to a rather pedestrian Bulls team, yet suddenly, yet somehow Old Man Pierce and Denture Adventure Garnett are going to push them into a top 3 team in the league? You're crazy.

Oh, and the "way" to beat the Heat was shown by the Pacers and Spurs last year...get a couple shooters on the wings, get a good presence down low, get a slasher, and an athletic player who can drive and force them into a decision, and then play tight, tight defense. It's not "get 3 point shooters and shoot all day."

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 09:45 AM)
It's a team with slow and old players run by a rookie head coach who is going to want to run, run, run. It's a perfect recipe for poor defense, fatigue, and injuries. Hell, the Knicks might be better. If you want to talk about a team that can space the floor and drill it from 3, that is the team that can do it. And they still get rolled by the Heat.

I just don't think Pierce and Garnett are a good fit schematically on that team. Take those 2 (and Terry, I guess) away from the Nets, and you are looking at a team that suffered a 1st round loss to a rather pedestrian Bulls team, yet suddenly, yet somehow Old Man Pierce and Denture Adventure Garnett are going to push them into a top 3 team in the league? You're crazy.

I could certainly see a way for the Nets to be a real force come playoff time, but it involves them following the Spurs formula and seriously limiting the minutes of many of their key guys during the regular season. That will hurt their regular season record, but after that, we'll see. They have to be as clost to 100% as possible.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 08:57 AM)
I could certainly see a way for the Nets to be a real force come playoff time, but it involves them following the Spurs formula and seriously limiting the minutes of many of their key guys during the regular season. That will hurt their regular season record, but after that, we'll see. They have to be as clost to 100% as possible.

Thank you. As I said, the Nets will not win 60 games. I expect the Bulls/Pacers to win a few more games in the regular season. The Nets are built for the playoffs. Kidd's two main priorities this year are to manage the minutes of the older players and maximize Deron Williams' talent.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 08:48 AM)
Oh, and the "way" to beat the Heat was shown by the Pacers and Spurs last year...get a couple shooters on the wings, get a good presence down low, get a slasher, and an athletic player who can drive and force them into a decision, and then play tight, tight defense. It's not "get 3 point shooters and shoot all day."

How did two teams who ultimately lost to the Heat show us how to beat the Heat?

That makes less than negative sense.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 10:35 AM)
The greatest 3-point shooter of all-time hit, um, a 3-pointer. How exactly was that a miracle?

LeBron misses a 3, Bosh hits the ball to get it outside, somehow finds its way into Ray Allen's hands, he gets the shot off, and drills the 3 with a hand in his face, all in a matter of about 4 seconds. The fact that it went in is not miraculous, but the fact that the ball got to him in the manner that it did is the miracle.