NBA Thread 2013-2014

Did anyone see this amazing Grantland article about the proposed "Draft Wheel" the NBA may or may not be considering? This s*** is f***ing dope.

The Tanking Solution

Grantland obtained a copy of the proposal, which would eliminate the draft lottery and replace it with a system in which each of the 30 teams would pick in a specific first-round draft slot once — and exactly once — every 30 years. Each team would simply cycle through the 30 draft slots, year by year, in a predetermined order designed so that teams pick in different areas of the draft each year. Teams would know with 100 percent certainty in which draft slots they would pick every year, up to 30 years out from the start of every 30-year cycle. The practice of protecting picks would disappear; there would never be a Harrison Barnes–Golden State situation again, and it wouldn’t require a law degree to track ownership of every traded pick leaguewide.

The system is simpler to understand in pictorial form. Below is the wheel that outlines the order in which each team would cycle through the draft slots; the graphic highlights the top six slots in red to show that every team would be guaranteed one top-six pick every five seasons, and at least one top-12 pick in every four-year span:

iQ6x8xPmn1LGu.png

I think... I think I might be down for this. I need to think about it more, though. There are pros and cons. Praying for an elite class the years you're in the top 6 would be a blast. Watching a team like the Heat land a monster because it's "their turn" would be the opposite of a blast.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my issue with it - one top 6 pick ever 5 years is pretty rough if your turn falls in a s***ty draft and your team sucks. To me this doesn't really help the bottom teams.

I much prefer Simmons single elimination tournament idea and/or averaging multiple seasons together to find out who's the worst.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 23, 2013 -> 06:00 PM)
Did anyone see this amazing Grantland article about the proposed "Draft Wheel" the NBA may or may not be considering? This s*** is f***ing dope.

The Tanking Solution

iQ6x8xPmn1LGu.png

I think... I think I might be down for this. I need to think about it more, though. There are pros and cons. Praying for an elite class the years you're in the top 6 would be a blast. Watching a team like the Heat land a monster because it's "their turn" would be the opposite of a blast.

I'd also have major concerns that a LeBron type player might stay in college a year to avoid going to say the Raptors if he knows that the Lakers or some other big market team have the first pick the next year. Not sure how I would feel about that.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 23, 2013 -> 05:11 PM)
I'd also have major concerns that a LeBron type player might stay in college a year to avoid going to say the Raptors if he knows that the Lakers or some other big market team have the first pick the next year. Not sure how I would feel about that.

That's a really excellent point.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 23, 2013 -> 05:00 PM)

The Tanking Solution

iQ6x8xPmn1LGu.png

It would be awful for the reasons other people already stated. Imagine a team like the Heat or OKC getting Wiggins or Embiid this year. Imagine the Raptors or Hawks getting someone like Anthony Bennett every time their turn comes up because it's a weak draft or the best players rather wait for when the Lakers or Heat turns come up.

If anything, this type of movement makes the rich teams richer and the poor teams poorer.

Good. I'd rather Wiggins go to OKC than Charlotte. The poor teams also tend to be horribly managed. Maybe they should get their act together. Big market hasn't helped NY win any games.

I'm all in favor of the draft wheel.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 26, 2013 -> 11:58 PM)
Just realized that Jeremy Lin's been really good this year. Almost 15 PPG with a .636 TS%, which is better than Harden, Parsons, and Dwight.

Today's NBA. A chinese guy from Harvard is doing well...

QUOTE (Boogua @ Dec 27, 2013 -> 05:08 PM)
Today's NBA. A chinese guy from Harvard is doing well...

Great post. Because it really showed the NBA's superiority when a white guy from french lick Indiana who couldn't jump was a top 2 star in the game.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 26, 2013 -> 10:50 PM)
A Rose/Gordon back court would set defensive basketball back 50 years.

I don't hear a lot of people talk about Rose's D, nor have I noticed/remembered how good/bad it is.

A Deng for Gordon swap is just done with the idea that Deng would keep the Bobcats out of the top 10 and thus meaning the Bulls would get their pick. Also BG has said he wants to come back to Chicago next year so here's his tryout.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 27, 2013 -> 02:40 PM)
I don't hear a lot of people talk about Rose's D, nor have I noticed/remembered how good/bad it is.

A Deng for Gordon swap is just done with the idea that Deng would keep the Bobcats out of the top 10 and thus meaning the Bulls would get their pick. Also BG has said he wants to come back to Chicago next year so here's his tryout.

Rose's D hasn't mattered in 3 seasons.