NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 04:49 PM)
Everyone remember to not watch the basketball game tonight against the Thunder. It means nothing and therefore cannot be enjoyed.

I'll be watching from the 200 level. Gotstaget my Jo Noah bobble.

EDIT: I will cheer.

Edited by Steve9347

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 09:57 PM)
Don't think this is mentioned yet. Phil to Knicks as president. I believe Melo staying New York is looking more and more likely.

I agree, still the Bulls are his best bet for a chance at a ring in the near future. The Knicks are a mess and I don't think PJax is gonna turn them into legit contenders overnight.

The way I see it, if Melo takes less money to come here as a FA, then he's serious about getting a title. If he stays in NY, then he's too dumb to realize the Bulls are his best bet and or he cares mores about getting that money.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 02:58 PM)
I agree, still the Bulls are his best bet for a chance at a ring in the near future. The Knicks are a mess and I don't think PJax is gonna turn them into legit contenders overnight.

The way I see it, if Melo takes less money to come here as a FA, then he's serious about getting a title. If he stays in NY, then he's too dumb to realize the Bulls are his best bet and or he cares mores about getting that money.

Well, it is a LOT more money, and his wife would clearly be happier there. Not the biggest jerk move in the world.

Is there something wrong about caring more about money? As if it makes a person selfish? Maybe in Melo's case because he has made so much to this point in his career, but there are a lot of circumstances involved too. If it's best for both he and La La, then he's not wrong in staying. If they want to go to Chicago, they're not wrong in doing that either.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 08:57 PM)
Don't think this is mentioned yet. Phil to Knicks as president. I believe Melo staying New York is looking more and more likely.

I mentioned it back when it was a rumor. I'm surprised it actually happened. Seems strange. Steve Kerr's name also rumored as being the next Knicks head coach.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 02:39 PM)
Is there something wrong about caring more about money? As if it makes a person selfish? Maybe in Melo's case because he has made so much to this point in his career, but there are a lot of circumstances involved too. If it's best for both he and La La, then he's not wrong in staying. If they want to go to Chicago, they're not wrong in doing that either.

It's funny how the new CBA thought the extra year and money would be such a trump card, and people already assume that it's meaningless. And maybe that extra year doesn't mean that much to a player, they could instead get a new contract at the higher rate.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 08:58 AM)

Don't think PJax can turn that franchise overnight, but if he can start making moves at the beginning of the offseason to steer them toward the right direction, it will be enough to convince Melo to stay.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 11:02 AM)
Don't think PJax can turn that franchise overnight, but if he can start making moves at the beginning of the offseason to steer them toward the right direction, it will be enough to convince Melo to stay.

Has Phil Jackson ever constructed a roster?

I suppose he can learn from Michael Jordan on how to go about building a franchise.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 11:17 AM)
Has Phil Jackson ever constructed a roster?

I suppose he can learn from Michael Jordan on how to go about building a franchise.

That's really besides the point.

The question is whether Melo trust Phil's ability enough to stay in New York. He's already called this move a "power" move, and said he will do whatever Phil says to win a championship.

And for the record, PJax definitely has more experience managing a roster than Jordan ever had.

You're looking at a problem with Melo where the most optimistic timing for you to have a great roster is right when you would expect Melo to fall off. How many years of good Melo and good cast will you get? This is without even taking into consideration how difficult it will be to acquire new players through means other than draft with Melo pushing $30M annually by the end

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 01:12 PM)
You're looking at a problem with Melo where the most optimistic timing for you to have a great roster is right when you would expect Melo to fall off. How many years of good Melo and good cast will you get? This is without even taking into consideration how difficult it will be to acquire new players through means other than draft with Melo pushing $30M annually by the end

I don't see why Melo would fall off on a 5 year deal when he'll be 30 to start it. He's a jump shooter who doesn't rely a whole hell of a lot on athleticism to succeed.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 01:12 PM)

North of $20 million in cap space after next season will help.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports

Carmelo Anthony has the Chicago Bulls and Houston Rockets as the two options above all others he would consider if he decides to leave the New York Knicks.

The Bulls have an easier path to sign Anthony to a contract, but the Rockets believe they can also shed enough contracts to offer Anthony a third near-max deal alongside Dwight Howard and James Harden.

"He'll give New York every option," one source with knowledge of Anthony's plans told Yahoo Sports on Tuesday. "But he has options – and he's going to explore them all."

After SAS saying Melo is gone from NYK, I'd say Bulls have a good shot.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 12:25 AM)
Jesus, the Rockets getting Melo would be insane. Just the sheer amount of jostling they've done to get Harden and Howard is astounding.

It involves them either S&T Lin and Asik to NY for Melo or they have to trade them for pure cap space, but both of them have a $15M hit.

Stephen A. Smith said Melo's circle is pushing him to Chicago, Melo has Chicago as his top non NYK option. Doesn't want to waste a single more season, feels they'd be instant title contenders.

Considering SAS called the Heatles, I'm trusting him.