NBA Thread 2013-2014

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 09:45 PM)
They tied it but having that be your last play when you have two great offensive threats shows how much of a hack Brooks is.

I don't think they'll ever win a championship under him. He was a major reason they lost to the heat two years ago and I suspect will be a major reason when they lose in the playoffs this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 05:41 PM)
He is a guy who you hate on another team, but love on your own. Jo has been my favorite Bull for years now. I love the way he plays the game.
This

We had another guy like that in the second Bulls threepeat. Always been a fan of Jo, I remember being one of the few here at ST that loved the Noah pick.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 11:42 AM)
Spurs Popovich wins NBA COY. Thibodeau was 3rd.

I respect the hell out of Popovich and I agree he deserves praise, but what the hell does Thibs need to do to get recognition? Put any other coach in charge of the bulls not named Popovich and this team crashes and burns hardcore. Thibs is the master of chicken salad out of chicken s***

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 11:45 AM)
I respect the hell out of Popovich and I agree he deserves praise, but what the hell does Thibs need to do to get recognition? Put any other coach in charge of the bulls not named Popovich and this team crashes and burns hardcore. Thibs is the master of chicken salad out of chicken s***

He won coach of the year in 2011, came in 2nd in 2012 and 3rd this year. It is pretty clear he is getting his recognition.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 08:57 PM)
This.

He has become my favorite NBA player but I absolutely hated him in college.

The guy literally ripped my heart out in college and then we drafted him for what looked to be no reason.

Happily eating crow today.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 11:45 AM)

agreed. This was his best coaching job yet. No Rose, no Deng, no problem.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 12:45 PM)

At this point? Win a title.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 05:06 PM)
At this point? Win a title.

I think it's also Pop's player health management which is revolutionary, his continued excellent development of players, and great offense and defense.

Thibs did a great job with scrubs, but Popovich is clearly best coach in NBA. So he should win.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 12:09 PM)
But it does have bearing on whether or not they start viewing a guy as an all time great.

We aren't talking about hall of fame, we are talking about COY

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 12:17 PM)

And he has finished top 3 in 3 of his 4 years as Bulls coach. Unless you think he should win it every year I don't get the gripe here. He is clearly being acknowledged as one of the best coaches in the game.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 12:17 PM)

Pop has the best team in a far superior conference. The 8th seed in the west had a better record than the Bulls.

Let's not sit here and pretend the Bulls could compete in the western conference as they could not.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 12:31 PM)
And he has finished top 3 in 3 of his 4 years as Bulls coach. Unless you think he should win it every year I don't get the gripe here. He is clearly being acknowledged as one of the best coaches in the game.

I just think he clearly had a bigger disadvantage than Pop did and made a much bigger impact. This is no disrespect to Pop, he has a well oiled machine and everyone knows their roles. The Spurs did what everyone expected them to. The Bulls did the exact opposite, the tank calls came out strong when rose went down and even stronger when Deng was traded and this team became one of the best in the conference starting in January.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 12:34 PM)
Pop has the best team in a far superior conference. The 8th seed in the west had a better record than the Bulls.

Let's not sit here and pretend the Bulls could compete in the western conference as they could not.

I'm not pretending about anything, to me the award goes to the coach that did the best job over the course of the season. You play who is on the schedule. Again, Pop is amazing, they are by far one of the top 3 teams in the nba.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 01:38 PM)
I just think he clearly had a bigger disadvantage than Pop did and made a much bigger impact. This is no disrespect to Pop, he has a well oiled machine and everyone knows their roles. The Spurs did what everyone expected them to. The Bulls did the exact opposite, the tank calls came out strong when rose went down and even stronger when Deng was traded and this team became one of the best in the conference starting in January.

I'm not pretending about anything, to me the award goes to the coach that did the best job over the course of the season. You play who is on the schedule. Again, Pop is amazing, they are by far one of the top 3 teams in the nba.

IMO, Pop is at the point now where he's also almost getting COY awards by default. Unless there's someone else who clearly carries a team, his team will be at the top of the conference, a finals contender, and everyone will credit him.

I agree that there's a very strong case to be made for Thibs, but the case is just about equally strong for Popp, and guess which guy has 4 rings?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 12:50 PM)
IMO, Pop is at the point now where he's also almost getting COY awards by default. Unless there's someone else who clearly carries a team, his team will be at the top of the conference, a finals contender, and everyone will credit him.

I agree that there's a very strong case to be made for Thibs, but the case is just about equally strong for Popp, and guess which guy has 4 rings?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Coach_of_the_Year_Award

Looking at this list it doesn't seem like rings have anything to do with it, only yearly results. But you can keep throwing the ring part in

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 12:50 PM)

I don't get how what Pop did this year with the Spurs is more impressive than what Thibs did with the Bulls. The Spurs have Tony Parker and Tim Duncan. The Bulls lost their #1 star 6 games into the season, and their #2 star was traded away. The Bulls were a freaking lottery team under about any other coach. Even if their record was reversed at 34-48, that would have been impressive with the complete lack of talent they have.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 01:55 PM)
I don't get how what Pop did this year with the Spurs is more impressive than what Thibs did with the Bulls. The Spurs have Tony Parker and Tim Duncan. The Bulls lost their #1 star 6 games into the season, and their #2 star was traded away. The Bulls were a freaking lottery team under about any other coach. Even if their record was reversed at 34-48, that would have been impressive with the complete lack of talent they have.

Then he should go win a title.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 02:21 PM)
I personally couldn't care less about the COY award but using the no titles argument is silly.

Then explain to me why all the points you guys just made didn't add up to Thibs winning the title. Y'all just spent several posts explaining why he should have won.