NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 1, 2014 -> 09:07 PM)
I'd also argue that Yao, Oden and Wiggins had relatively similar levels of hype (the last two before they got to college). That's a subjective thing obviously though.

Edit- If we're going back 30 years, I'd also include guys like Sampson, Ewing, MJ, Olajuwon, Shaq, probably Duncan. I wasn't really following the draft at the time though, and if media attention is your biggest factor the newer guys have an edge.

lmao

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 1, 2014 -> 09:07 PM)
Yes, he was hyped. That's not an argument. But if he didn't live up to it, people would have moved on by now like they do with plenty of other people.

I'd also argue that Yao, Oden and Wiggins had relatively similar levels of hype (the last two before they got to college). That's a subjective thing obviously though.

Edit- If we're going back 30 years, I'd also include guys like Sampson, Ewing, MJ, Olajuwon, Shaq, probably Duncan. I wasn't really following the draft at the time though, and if media attention is your biggest factor the newer guys have an edge.

Oden was close. Wiggins didn't have anywhere near the hype.

QUOTE (scs787 @ May 1, 2014 -> 08:01 PM)
If what I heard on the score was correct there's another "loophole" that hasn't been talked about.

The Bulls can tell the Lakers who they want them to draft then they make the deal with said pick.

My question is...Can the Bulls interview other people while Thibs is still the coach? If so and GarPax find someone they like I'd make that deal (Thibs for a lottery pick) all day.

This post was lost in the shuffle....

Another interesting angle is that "European coaching legend" Ettore Messina has reportedly thrown his hat in the mix of potential head coaches. What's interesting about that is he used to coach Mirotic, so that could make him(Mirotic) more inclined to come over which could be huge.

Past Messina there are also a ton of other solid names out there. Lionel Hollins, who I think would be a great fit(Seeing as the Bulls and Griz play so similarly), is out there. Jeff Van Gundy could return to coaching. Byron Scott who's a lil meh. Then the intriguing first year NBA HC guys like Kerr, Ollie, and Hoiberg.

I think it'd be a real interesting year to do this

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 1, 2014 -> 10:57 PM)
Oden was close. Wiggins didn't have anywhere near the hype.

If we go back before the season, there was plenty of hype. I mean how much tanking talk was there because of Wiggins and the rest of this class? That doesn't happen for normal prospects. Obviously it died during the year since he didn't dominate.

Last post on this since it's a dumb argument spawned from another dumb argument...

LeBron was obviously a monstrous prospect with a lot of hype. I'm not debating that. This whole thing started with "pressure to win" though. That's not there because of hype. That's there because...

1) He kicked ass once he got to the league.

2) He didn't get his title until well into his career, with a couple of series losses considered to be "chokes" along the way (the only one I count is Dallas, but others add Orlando and Boston).

3) The Decision. He was catching craps before that, but it hit another level after.

While few (if any) have matched his hype, others would be getting at least some of that pressure if that were really the driving force.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 1, 2014 -> 08:32 PM)
I'm saying the reason he got so much crap wasn't because he had hype or gave himself a nickname. It's because he was really f***ing good and took quite a while to get a title. Obviously the Decision took it to another level for those first two Miami years. Harold Miner and Isaiah Rider were supposed to be the next Jordan two, but I bet a bunch of people on this board don't even remember them.

s***, Harold Miner and Isaiah Rider both won the slam dunk competition. I remember from the slam dunk winners poster on my wall as a kid. Brent Barry was the first white boy to do it.

QUOTE (scs787 @ May 2, 2014 -> 01:35 AM)
This post was lost in the shuffle....

Another interesting angle is that "European coaching legend" Ettore Messina has reportedly thrown his hat in the mix of potential head coaches. What's interesting about that is he used to coach Mirotic, so that could make him(Mirotic) more inclined to come over which could be huge.

Past Messina there are also a ton of other solid names out there. Lionel Hollins, who I think would be a great fit(Seeing as the Bulls and Griz play so similarly), is out there. Jeff Van Gundy could return to coaching. Byron Scott who's a lil meh. Then the intriguing first year NBA HC guys like Kerr, Ollie, and Hoiberg.

I think it'd be a real interesting year to do this

If Thobodeau is gone for whatever reason, I think Fred Hoiberg would be next coach of the Bulls. Forman has Iowa State ties to him and I believe Hoiberg bought Gar Forman's house or Gar Forman bough Hoiberg's Chicago home. One or the other.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 1, 2014 -> 05:21 PM)
Want to know the difference between LeBron and KD? Pressure. One has more on him to win than any player in nba history. The other doesn't. Durant is on the verge of being bounced from the playoffs before he even gets his mvp award and it's not even a big deal. If this was LeBron all f***in' hell would be breaking loose.

Let's pretend LeBron hasn't brought alot of it on himself, the guy who asked us to "Witness", calls himself King and predicted not 6, not 7...oh, and joined another top 5 player's team along with an All Star PF to stack the deck.

Yeah, really feel sorry for poor LeBron :huh:

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 2, 2014 -> 06:48 AM)
No way in hell the bulls go after a euro league coach

Meh, probably not, but any particular reason why? You think he'd be a "rebuilding" type coach? If so what sets him apart from Hoiberg? Dude is 760-218 in Europe and said to be an "offensive guru". You know I'm all about that outside the box option.....I can see reasons for not wanting him though.

Lionel Hollins would be the guy I want though. He was very successful, in the West no less, with a team that is built just like the Bulls.

I think this will all be moot point though cause I doubt Thibs leaves.

QUOTE (scs787 @ May 2, 2014 -> 12:43 PM)
Meh, probably not, but any particular reason why? You think he'd be a "rebuilding" type coach? If so what sets him apart from Hoiberg? Dude is 760-218 in Europe and said to be an "offensive guru". You know I'm all about that outside the box option.....I can see reasons for not wanting him though.

Lionel Hollins would be the guy I want though. He was very successful, in the West no less, with a team that is built just like the Bulls.

I think this will all be moot point though cause I doubt Thibs leaves.

I think he would have to get his feet wet as an assistant before he was hired as a head coach. Hoiberg played in the NBA, worked on the Twolves staff and in their front office, and now has 3 seasons behind him as a collegiate head coach.

The Euro leagues have made strides to close the competition gap, but come on now, it isnt the NBA.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 2, 2014 -> 12:48 PM)
I think he would have to get his feet wet as an assistant before he was hired as a head coach. Hoiberg played in the NBA, worked on the Twolves staff and in their front office, and now has 3 seasons behind him as a collegiate head coach.

The Euro leagues have made strides to close the competition gap, but come on now, it isnt the NBA.

FWIW, he was an assistant for the Lakers in 2013 before a Euro League paid him big bucks to come back.

Certainly not calling for his hiring, but I just thought it was a little interesting that he coached Mirotic.

Thoughts on Lionel Hollins?? Why wasn't he brought back last year after going 56-26 and making it to the conference finals?

QUOTE (scs787 @ May 2, 2014 -> 01:10 PM)
FWIW, he was an assistant for the Lakers in 2013 before a Euro League paid him big bucks to come back.

Certainly not calling for his hiring, but I just thought it was a little interesting that he coached Mirotic.

Thoughts on Lionel Hollins?? Why wasn't he brought back last year after going 56-26 and making it to the conference finals?

Hollinger and Hollins didn't get along

QUOTE (scs787 @ May 2, 2014 -> 06:10 PM)

He wasn't "sabermetrics" enough for them.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 2, 2014 -> 01:25 PM)
Messina I think will get a NBA job. Probably this year if not the next one. He would be a great hire for the Bulls. But Thibs is a better coach than just about anyone so I'd hope we'd have to be overwhelmed to move him.

If the Lakers give up a top 5 pick I'd be all for making that trade. I've been doing a lot of reading up on Dante Exum and I'd really love to see him as the SG of the future. With the injury concerns of Rose, Exums ability to play the point as well also really helps his case.

Putting on my GM cap, and assuming they don't get Melo(or any other big ticket guys), I'd love to see....

If Mirotic doesn't come over

Rose-Clarkson-Vet

Exum-Clarkson-Snell

Butler-Dunleavy

Taj-Payne

Noah-Austin

Should Rose go down you then have Exum-Butler-Dunleavy-Taj-Noah

If Mirotic does come over...

Rose-Clarkson

Exum-Staukas

Butler-Dunleavy

Taj-Mirotic

Noah-Austin

And of course if Lakers get a top 3 pick you hope for Wiggins/Parker to replace Exum.