NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 3, 2014 -> 07:08 PM)
Well, the Bulls did beat 5 different teams in the finals, then throw in the Rockets and Knicks and you're up to 8, then the Spurs at the end and you're @ 9...and the Pacers, that makes 10 teams.

You're kidding, right? In what individual year/s in the 90's did the league have 5, let alone 10, teams with a legitimate shot at a title? The 80's was even worse. If you don't like today's ball, fine. But don't say parity is a reason. In that case, the nba has sucked since the 70's.

Edited by Jordan4life

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 3, 2014 -> 08:18 PM)
You're kidding, right? In what individual year in the 90's did the league have 5, let alone 10, teams with a legitimate shot at a title? The 80's was even worse. If you don't like today's ball, fine. But don't say parity is a reason. In that case, the nba has sucked since the 70's.

That's not what you asked. You asked if 10 teams had a shot to win the finals in the 90's. I listed 10 teams. You said nothing about 10 teams in any particular year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 3, 2014 -> 07:18 PM)
You're kidding, right? In what individual year/s in the 90's did the league have 5, let alone 10, teams with a legitimate shot at a title? The 80's was even worse. If you don't like today's ball, fine. But don't say parity is a reason. In that case, the nba has sucked since the 70's.

I realize parity in the NBA has been fiction for a long time. I was just kinda making fun of your whole "the NBA today is da greatest eva" comment. Yeah it's a cool story of all these first round 7 game series but we all know only two or three teams really have a real shot at the title. When's the last time a surprise team no one expected to win won it all? That happens in the NFL, MLB and NHL quite frequently, never in the NBA.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ May 3, 2014 -> 07:49 PM)
I realize parity in the NBA has been fiction for a long time. I was just kinda making fun of your whole "the NBA today is da greatest eva" comment. Yeah it's a cool story of all these first round 7 game series but we all know only two or three teams really have a real shot at the title. When's the last time a surprise team no one expected to win won it all? That happens in the NFL, MLB and NHL quite frequently, never in the NBA.

Pistons in '04? Heat in '06? Mavs in '11?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 3, 2014 -> 07:52 PM)

Ok, maybe the word never was too strong but it happens the least of the four major sports.

The Grizz continue to hang around but fully expect OKC to pull away in the 2nd half.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 3, 2014 -> 07:52 PM)

The 2006 Heat wasn't a surprise. They had lost in 7 to the Pistons in the ECF the previous year and had Shaq and Wade. The other two I agree with.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 3, 2014 -> 09:47 PM)
The 2006 Heat wasn't a surprise. They had lost in 7 to the Pistons in the ECF the previous year and had Shaq and Wade. The other two I agree with.

The rest of that roster was pretty meh. Posey was a good roleplayer. Antoine Walker? Jason Williams? Mourning/Payton when they were barely hanging on? I remember thinking Pistons/Spurs rematch all the way that year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 2, 2014 -> 09:50 PM)
Mavs barely hold off the Spurs. These west playoffs have been too much. And this is round 1. We've got 5 (6 if Houston wins) game 7's comin' up in the next 2 days. BUT TODAY'S NBA IS SO f***ING HORRIBLE, signed Jerry West, Charles Barkley, or any other old fart who wants to be young again.

Two of them shouldn't count because they're in the East.

The West is pretty damn fun though.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 4, 2014 -> 12:45 AM)
How often do 2 top 5 teams in the league meet in the second round?

NEVER THIS IS THE GREATEST PLAYOFFS OF ALL TIME 90S BASKETBALL WAS SLOW AND SUX LEBRON IS GOD BUT MUCH MORE ATHLETIC AND STRONG