NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 21, 2014 -> 12:43 AM)
I mentioned something a while back about how crazy it would be if Cleveland were to get the #1 pick again. They can't possibly f*** this up, can they? Draft one of Wiggins/Parker (I say Wiggins) and give LeBron something really serious to think about.

They'll draft embiid and he'll immediately have back/knee problems.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2014 -> 07:47 PM)
I don't think there is any doubt in my mind that out of the top picks Embiid has the highest bust potential.

They are taking Craft

Seriously the no brainer is Parker with 1b being Wiggins. They'll take neither.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 20, 2014 -> 07:37 PM)
Even scarier, Drummond over Waiters. A bit of a stretch admittedly, but they could have definitely used a big.

They'll have to work to screw this one up. Wiggins and Parker are at least decent starters and Embiid could be a beast if he stays healthy.

I don't really think that would have been a stretch. Barnes and Drummond has a ridiculous amount of upside and everyone knew that.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 20, 2014 -> 07:54 PM)
I don't really think that would have been a stretch. Barnes and Drummond has a ridiculous amount of upside and everyone knew that.

I mean, you can definitely make the upside argument, but he was also incredibly raw and his stock seemed to be slipping because of it. Obviously it looks silly in retrospect. I think I had him #2 before his college season but started dropping him like everyone else when he kept putting up like 8-6 every game. I don't think I'd have taken him over Beal or Barnes and MKG was an interesting argument (definitely not Beal, I liked him a lot).

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 20, 2014 -> 08:09 PM)
I mean, you can definitely make the upside argument, but he was also incredibly raw and his stock seemed to be slipping because of it. Obviously it looks silly in retrospect. I think I had him #2 before his college season but started dropping him like everyone else when he kept putting up like 8-6 every game. I don't think I'd have taken him over Beal or Barnes and MKG was an interesting argument (definitely not Beal, I liked him a lot).

People loved the "motor" argument with Drummond. And Ya, I'm just talking about where Waiters was taken, Beal was my guy, I never understood why anyone had MKG ranked ahead of him.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 20, 2014 -> 08:11 PM)
People loved the "motor" argument with Drummond. And Ya, I'm just talking about where Waiters was taken, Beal was my guy, I never understood why anyone had MKG ranked ahead of him.

Agreed.

There are pluses and minuses to all of the top three. I think you can make the case for each of them...

Wiggins

+: athleticism, length, two-way potential

-: offense still a work in progress, though I think his game fits better in the NBA

Parker

+: scoring ability, polish

-: not sure who he defends, could see his efficiency dipping against NBA athletes (not quick enough to get by them consistently, not big enough to post them up)

Embiid

+: Great length and quickness, better touch than most young bigs

-: Back could already be an issue, defensive awareness needs work, shies away from contact.

If he had no injury issues, I'd probably take Embiid. Like many scouts/executives, I have a weakness for athletic bigs that can score. As it stands, I think I'd lean Wiggins slightly over Parker. I think Wiggins is a quality defender with at least a decent offensive game while Parker might be a guy that scores in the teens but doesn't impact your team much. However, I could see any of those 3 being the right answer pretty easily.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 20, 2014 -> 08:23 PM)
I feel like drafting Parker is like taking Carmelo. It's a good bet.

I'd have much rather had Melo coming out, he was a better athlete and a bit more productive (albiet on slightly lower percentages and in more minutes). Parker can get there, but I don't think he's nearly that level of lock.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 20, 2014 -> 08:20 PM)
There are pluses and minuses to all of the top three. I think you can make the case for each of them...

Wiggins

+: athleticism, length, two-way potential

-: offense still a work in progress, though I think his game fits better in the NBA

Parker

+: scoring ability, polish

-: not sure who he defends, could see his efficiency dipping against NBA athletes (not quick enough to get by them consistently, not big enough to post them up)

Embiid

+: Great length and quickness, better touch than most young bigs

-: Back could already be an issue, defensive awareness needs work, shies away from contact.

If he had no injury issues, I'd probably take Embiid. Like many scouts/executives, I have a weakness for athletic bigs that can score. As it stands, I think I'd lean Wiggins slightly over Parker. I think Wiggins is a quality defender with at least a decent offensive game while Parker might be a guy that scores in the teens but doesn't impact your team much. However, I could see any of those 3 being the right answer pretty easily.

This is pretty spot on. Wiggins/Parker (especially Wiggins) should be able to showcase their games much more in the pros. These sissy ass college coaches that micromanage EVERYTHING held both back, imo.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 20, 2014 -> 08:33 PM)
This is pretty spot on. Wiggins/Parker (especially Wiggins) should be able to showcase their games much more in the pros. These sissy ass college coaches that micromanage EVERYTHING held both back, imo.

I think the pros will help Wiggins more than Parker. He really needs space, and transition opportunities right now, and there's much more of that in the NBA.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2014 -> 04:50 PM)
We didn't draft Scottie. He was a draft day deal for olden polynice.

The main question is whether it was our drafting accumen or trading accumen that made that deal a winner