NBA Thread 2013-2014

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seven years after their most recent championship, long after we figured they were through, the Spurs sprinted to the finish. By the time the clock hit zero on their 104-87 victory in Game 5, the Spurs had outscored the Heat by 70 points over the course of the series, the biggest point differential in NBA Finals history.

So which team was the superteam again? It sure seemed like the Boston Celtics and then the Heat had found the formula in the years since the Spurs last won it in 2007. Quickly assemble a team of established veterans, grab all the magazine covers, then pop the champagne. The Spurs struck a blow for scouting and development. And patience. Most of all, patience. They've kept the core together for more than a decade.

"The alternative wasn't any better," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said. "These guys have been a part of our organization. They'll determine when they're done here, I would hope."

Notice how neither the agonizing seven-game loss to the Heat last season nor the stunning first-round upset by the Memphis Grizzlies in 2011 caused a massive upheaval in the Spurs. Three years later they still have half of that 2011 team. And one of the departures, George Hill, was traded for the guy who won the Bill Russell Award as the 2014 Finals MVP, Kawhi Leonard. Definite upgrade.

The fact that the Finals MVP was open to debate until the moment Mr. Russell himself came on stage to hand out his namesake trophy speaks to the Spurs' balance. It could have been Boris Diaw (whom they picked up as an overweight castoff from the Charlotte Bobcats in 2012, by the way) even though he never had a double-digit scoring game in the series. It could have been Duncan, who happened to notch his NBA record 158th playoff double-double during the Finals.

But it was Leonard who went for 20-plus in each of the final three games, who provided the athleticism the Spurs needed, who had Duncan gushing "I'm honored to be on this team right now" as if Leonard, not himself, was the franchise cornerstone.

Trying to pick the MVP of the 104-87 Game 5 clincher was almost as tough as choosing a Spur for the series. Leonard had 22 and 10 rebounds. Patty Mills hit five 3-pointers, scored 17 points and made a strong bid for the honorary Tyronn Lue Award, which goes to the upcoming free agent who earns the biggest contract with his play during the NBA Finals.

But this game really belonged to Ginobili, who resurrected the Spurs after they fell behind by 16 points at the outset. At one point, when the Heat looked like they were going to make this a game and quite possibly a series again, Ginobili came in and quickly produced two of the Spurs' first three baskets. The second, a 3-pointer, resulted in a Spurs' timeout and a big Ginobili fist pump. The Spurs were on their way back.

www.espn.com/adande

Edited by caulfield12

Suddnely wonder if Cleveland becomes a viable option for Lebron all over again.

I don't think he can win another title in Miami with Wade, especially if Wade takes another max deal / opts in. Wade's knees are at the point where he plays more like a 35YO rather than a 32YO.

Lebron would have Irving and Embiid as sidekicks, not saying they'd win a title next season, but in the East, that's probably at least a top 3 team with the right coach.

Patty Mills probably earned himself a Barea-Light contract with his play this off-season as well, probably makes a lot of sense as an instant scorer / 3rd guard off the bench who can knock down the 3.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/despite-disap...-071421653.html

Cleveland, the Bulls, Houston, Phoenix, Dallas and the LA Clippers are the logical other options, but LA won't have the cap room next year.

With Cleveland, he has that history to answer (about his departure and The Decision show) the Bulls, the comparisons to Jordan and questions whether Rose will ever be 100% again...Houston, whether he could co-exist with Dwight Howard and whether Howard's career can be resurrected and then Phoenix/Dallas weren't even playoff teams, so they'd have to add additional talent to make a go at attracting James.

QUOTE (almagest @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 11:47 PM)
I'm guessing he and Wade will push hard for Carmelo. Bosh is probably the odd man out.

Tbh, I don't know why Bosh would opt out. Iirc correctly, he was making the most in his deal out of all three of them. What good would it do him to opt out?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 06:47 AM)
Tbh, I don't know why Bosh would opt out. Iirc correctly, he was making the most in his deal out of all three of them. What good would it do him to opt out?

Apparently, all three will opt out stay in Miami and take pay cuts so they can bring in more talent.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 08:01 AM)
Apparently, all three will opt out stay in Miami and take pay cuts so they can bring in more talent.

I don't buy this for 1 second. Bosh can get a max deal from a team somewhere else and Wade almost has to opt-in.

People vastly underrate Bosh on here. He was extremely important in the Heat's defense for all these years hedging the PnR and has tried to change his game to benefit his team at the detriment of his own numbers.

The offensive scheme for the Heat that is predicated on spacing the floor for Lebron and Wade made Bosh play primarily away from the basket. He shot 48% from 16 feet to the three point line and ~36% from 3. he took much less shots in closer range than he did in Toronto.

He's an athletic 4 that can defend and shoot. He showed some post game in toronto where he averaged 24-11. He isn't an anchor defensively, but we have Noah for that.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 09:12 AM)
Aren't Bulls fans worried that the management is going to use the Spurs as an excuse to stand pat?

If they did that, it would be a incredibly wrong and misguided assumption on their part. The Spurs roster is so much better than the Bulls it isnt even funny.

According to our favorite Cowley, the front office is going to go balls to the wall to make this roster better for next season

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 08:13 AM)
I'll take Bosh in a heartbeat if Melo and Love fail us.

Yeah, he or Jo could play the 4, and this team is a whole lot better. Again, Bosh actually can play both roles in this system, either the post more, or the pick and pop guy.

Aren't Bulls fans worried that the management is going to use the Spurs as an excuse to stand pat?

How so? The Spurs were one play away from winning the championship in 2013 and have a vastly superior roster to the Bulls. The Bulls haven't been remotely close to winning a title since 1998.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 03:17 PM)
If they did that, it would be a incredibly wrong and misguided assumption on their part. The Spurs roster is so much better than the Bulls it isnt even funny.

According to our favorite Cowley, the front office is going to go balls to the wall to make this roster better for next season

I didn't say it was right, but all this garbage about talent evaluation and patience is like, their M.O.

Gar is probably salivating at two teen picks.

This is the group who apparently was "distraught" about having to unload Kirk's contract in 2010 in preparation for Free Agency that did not go well.

Standing pat is always my biggest worry with this front office, though I think they seem to have some solid chances at their big targets this off-season. I want to see Boozer amnestied first, because at that point, then they think they are for real.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 09:40 AM)
I didn't say it was right, but all this garbage about talent evaluation and patience is like, their M.O.

Gar is probably salivating at two teen picks.

This is the group who apparently was "distraught" about having to unload Kirk's contract in 2010 in preparation for Free Agency that did not go well.

It actually has been reported they'd rather not use both picks. If the Bulls moved to #11 with Denver, they'd actually save around $2.5 million to use in free agency. If they trade both picks or use 1 on a foreign player, they'd have even more $$. I would be shocked if the Bulls draft roster players at #16 and #19.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 12:06 AM)
LOL.

Chris Bosh would be a 20 PPG scorer with excellent efficiency on just about any other team. He also won't kill you defensively at the 4.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 09:17 AM)

Unfortunately, for them, that's signing Kevin Martin. :angry: