NBA Thread 2013-2014

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This trade is a Festivus miracle. More work is to be done, though, as Thibs is going to want to win at all costs. The only downside of a massive tank job is the fact the TT will not be happy.

Also, I hope they keep Jimmy at SG.

Beyond that, good luck to Lu. He's a good guy, and he's been with us for f***ing ever.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 04:50 AM)
LOL sources

As Row pointed out, they offered him an extension just last week. They wanted to keep him, but Luol thought he was worth Josh Smith money, actually more. That sealed his fate. Like I said, that was not too long ago Bulls were in on keeping him. Two weeks later, things changed. Still better than any rumor/prediction you've ever said on this site. :)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 10:10 PM)
As Row pointed out, they offered him an extension just last week. They wanted to keep him, but Luol thought he was worth Josh Smith money, actually more. That sealed his fate. Like I said, that was not too long ago Bulls were in on keeping him. Two weeks later, things changed. Still better than any rumor/prediction you've ever said on this site. :)

To be fair, if Josh Smith can get 4/54 and ends up shooting 40% from the field 15 times a game (not to mention 27% from 3PT), I'd wanna get paid too if I was Luol Deng. I'd say he probably ends up with at least $12M per season on a 3 or 4 year deal at the very minimum.

I think Phoenix will also go after Deng in the off-season also. They're missing a 3, and he'd be a perfect fit alongside Bledsoe and Dragic.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 04:58 AM)
Draft picks are so valuable in the NBA... I can't believe the Bulls pulled this off. The Kings are hilarious right now, too, and making themselves worse with every trade. That's going to wind up being a lottery pick.

Isn't the Kings pick pretty much lottery protected and becomes a 2nd rounder after a few years? This trade is all about saving JR luxury tax payments and tanking this season. The first round picks at best are where teams in NBA hell get to choose. The deal makes a lot of sense for the Bulls, but I think they should take some of that $15 million in savings and get their season ticket people something really nice.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 12:22 AM)
So...can we all take back the ridicule towards the FO for not making a deal? There was a lot of premature criticism up in here and the Bulls did a great job of not revealing their plan and not making a deal without getting what they were looking for, which is talent over savings. In the end, we got both. Great. All that for a freaking expiring contract.

This is a great deal, but they have a long way to go before they are in the clear.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 01:25 AM)
Why not just amnesty boozer now if they clearly are tanking this season now?

Can't the amnesty only be done in the offseason? They could "waive" boozer now but they'd still be on the hook for the remainder of his deal.

As some said, the best part about this trade is that it helps us get into lottery. Those picks are relatively worthless. The two Portland picks will be picks in the 50s (might as well be undrafted FAs). The Sacramento pick we won't get this year, and likely not next year. Swapping cle pick will likely not happen or will be 3-4 spots max

That said money is saved, and lottery potential increased this year so it's a win

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 05:10 AM)

Oh come on - even the biggest Luol Deng hater would say that 3/30 is a massive lowball offer. Tuck your tail, son.

PS I did not post my blatant Derrick Rose lie of an article on this site.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 08:47 AM)
As some said, the best part about this trade is that it helps us get into lottery. Those picks are relatively worthless. The two Portland picks will be picks in the 50s (might as well be undrafted FAs). The Sacramento pick we won't get this year, and likely not next year. Swapping cle pick will likely not happen or will be 3-4 spots max

That said money is saved, and lottery potential increased this year so it's a win

I think you're underestimating the value of pretty much everything the Bulls got back. The 2nd round picks are really useful currency and hugely important in filling out the bench on a veteran loaded or expensive team, and they're also a lottery ticket in the sense that some of them turn out to be solid contributors. I'd rather have 2nd round picks fill out the bench than guys who are more expensive and in their mid 30's.

The pick swap, yeah the value of that may not be stellar, but if the Bulls come together and the Cavs don't, then we could be talking about a swap that's much larger than 3-4 spots. If the Cavs sign Lebron that makes it meaningless, but if this Cavs team hangs around in the teens and the Bulls get back into the 20's, that's a big jump.

And the Sacto pick...I really don't care when we get it. It's now a major asset in the next couple years that can be traded. My one worry with it would be that Sacto could stay in the top 10 through 2017 and only have to give up a 2nd rounder, which might well be why Cleveland was willing to move it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 07:54 AM)
I think you're underestimating the value of pretty much everything the Bulls got back. The 2nd round picks are really useful currency and hugely important in filling out the bench on a veteran loaded or expensive team, and they're also a lottery ticket in the sense that some of them turn out to be solid contributors. I'd rather have 2nd round picks fill out the bench than guys who are more expensive and in their mid 30's.

The pick swap, yeah the value of that may not be stellar, but if the Bulls come together and the Cavs don't, then we could be talking about a swap that's much larger than 3-4 spots. If the Cavs sign Lebron that makes it meaningless, but if this Cavs team hangs around in the teens and the Bulls get back into the 20's, that's a big jump.

And the Sacto pick...I really don't care when we get it. It's now a major asset in the next couple years that can be traded. My one worry with it would be that Sacto could stay in the top 10 through 2017 and only have to give up a 2nd rounder, which might well be why Cleveland was willing to move it.

Just want to note that probability of signing a vet and contributing is much higher than a second rounder panning out, which is about 30% of them, and that's a generous estimate. And who knows what position the Bulls will be at in 4 years, so it's harder to get excited about the possibility of the pick.

The Bulls lowballed Deng and got lottery ticket draft picks in order for Gar/Pax to be able to say with a straight face this wasn't a salary dump and they aren't tanking this season, that this was a "basketball decision". Anyone could tell you it's a salary dump and a move to try to get into the lottery.

None of these draft picks will probably ever turn into as good of player as Deng, the Bulls most likely won't be picking in the top 5 of the next draft, and the Bulls probably aren't in desperate need of the $15 million they will be saving with this trade, but they had to do it.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 09:24 AM)
The Bulls lowballed Deng and got lottery ticket draft picks in order for Gar/Pax to be able to say with a straight face this wasn't a salary dump and they aren't tanking this season, that this was a "basketball decision". Anyone could tell you it's a salary dump and a move to try to get into the lottery.

None of these draft picks will probably ever turn into as good of player as Deng, the Bulls most likely won't be picking in the top 5 of the next draft, and the Bulls probably aren't in desperate need of the $15 million they will be saving with this trade, but they had to do it.

I reads that it's closer to $20 million they'll save directly with this trade, and if it also gets them below the tax threshold this year there could be huge future benefits because they won't be a multi-year offender next season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 02:31 PM)
I reads that it's closer to $20 million they'll save directly with this trade, and if it also gets them below the tax threshold this year there could be huge future benefits because they won't be a multi-year offender next season.

KC Johnson said that this moves us below so yes getting under luxury tax does have huge benefits

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 08:31 AM)

You are probably correct. And definitely are correct with the future offender thing. I think the teams not in the luxury tax split the offenders' tax, but the point is, the Bulls really don't need the money, although $15-20 million is a pretty significant amount. They are one of the most profitable franchises in sports. So while this is a salary dump, and makes a lot of sense, the Bulls don't want to characterize it as one.

If they were only offering Deng $10 million a year, they obviously weren't going to keep him. Obviously this team has another hole now. Gar/Pax have their work cut out for them. And while this move may make it easier to make the lottery, they would still have to get lucky, and they still have to get the correct free agent, and they still have to draft the correct players, and they still have to get Morotic signed, and Rose has to come back healthy and stay that way, and Gar/Pax is still making the decisions. There is still a lot to be wary.

It is going to be funny to read what Reggie...oh I mean the "Rose camp" has to say about this one. He probably will be complaining about them breaking up the core he complained wasn't good enough earlier.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 09:43 AM)
You are probably correct. And definitely are correct with the future offender thing. I think the teams not in the luxury tax split the offenders' tax, but the point is, the Bulls really don't need the money, although $15-20 million is a pretty significant amount. They are one of the most profitable franchises in sports. So while this is a salary dump, and makes a lot of sense, the Bulls don't want to characterize it as one.

If they were only offering Deng $10 million a year, they obviously weren't going to keep him. Obviously this team has another hole now. Gar/Pax have their work cut out for them. And while this move may make it easier to make the lottery, they would still have to get lucky, and they still have to get the correct free agent, and they still have to draft the correct players, and they still have to get Morotic signed, and Rose has to come back healthy and stay that way, and Gar/Pax is still making the decisions. There is still a lot to be wary.

It is going to be funny to read what Reggie...oh I mean the "Rose camp" has to say about this one. He probably will be complaining about them breaking up the core he complained wasn't good enough earlier.

If Gar/Pax are making the decisions and in this case they clearly made the right one and in this case they broke their classic "stand pat" mode to do it, that ought to give us m ore confidence in them.

And while yes, they don't need the money...the team clearly has issues with going over the luxury tax and particularly with paying it multiple years. This deal makes it vastly more palatable for them to go over the Tax the next 2 years because the penalty will be much lower.

And finally...yes they have another hole...but that was a hole they were looking to have this offseason anyway. That's just the reality...they either were going to have to move some money off somewhere or they were likely to lose Deng. Hell, if they were to move some additional money (I still say Gibson is a very poor fit for the roster right now, and Noah as well), then Deng could be an offseason target once Lebron re-ups with the Heat.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 08:43 AM)

Screw the Rose camp. It isn't like they have helped out the Bulls at all.