NBA Thread 2013-2014

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 10:13 PM)
Zzzzzzzzzzz

As a person - LeBron > Jordan all day, everyday.

Only Jordan jockers think he would be "untouchable." The gambling stuff alone would be magnified times infinity in 2014.

We have entire cities devoted to gambling. Our society celebrates it. Why do you keep bringing this up as a moral deviation?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 01:30 PM)
We have entire cities devoted to gambling. Our society celebrates it. Why do you keep bringing this up as a moral deviation?

His father got wacked not long after the gambling allegations surfaced. Then he retires from the game because he's spent, wants to spend time with his family, etc, only to go play minor league baseball? In 2013-2014, all hell would've broken loose. Hell, there might've been more investigation back then if not for the OJ case taking over everything.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 01:30 PM)

Many people connect his retirement with gambling, ie. the s*** got out of control and Stern told him to pull it together.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 08:49 PM)
Sacramento currently has the 8th worst record in the league and has been playing better since the Gay trade. We have a shot at getting that pick this year

Maybe the Bulls get 3 firsts this year and can package to move up since Thibs is the anti-tank.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 08:49 PM)
Sacramento currently has the 8th worst record in the league and has been playing better since the Gay trade. We have a shot at getting that pick this year

They need to get to 13 this year in order for it to be conveyed. That would mean they have to finish around .500 to keep up with the likes of Minnesota, Denver and Memphis.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 06:57 PM)
Many people connect his retirement with gambling, ie. the s*** got out of control and Stern told him to pull it together.

Haha yeah I'm sure the integrity of the game was more important to stern, the owners, and everyone who made untold amounts of money through Jordan than the ridiculous amounts of money Jordan generated

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 12:46 AM)
Haha yeah I'm sure the integrity of the game was more important to stern, the owners, and everyone who made untold amounts of money through Jordan than the ridiculous amounts of money Jordan generated

Just as plausible as the GOAT walking away from all of that money in the middle if his prime, right?

And then choosing to play minor league baseball when he got that itch to compete

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 12:46 AM)

I kind of laughed at that.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 07:19 AM)
Just as plausible as the GOAT walking away from all of that money in the middle if his prime, right?

And then choosing to play minor league baseball when he got that itch to compete

When Jordan left to play baseball, Reinsdorf honored his basketball contract and paid Jordan $4 million to be a minor league player.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 08:20 AM)
When Jordan left to play baseball, Reinsdorf honored his basketball contract and paid Jordan $4 million to be a minor league player.

Still, he played baseball. It was so bizarre, I still remember that summer after they won their first three-peat and his father was killed, then the leadup to the following season. It still makes absolutely no sense at all

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 08:20 AM)

JR still came out way ahead on that deal.

MJ made JR a lot more money than JR could pay MJ.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 08:47 AM)
JR still came out way ahead on that deal.

MJ made JR a lot more money than JR could pay MJ.

I don't doubt that at all. The point I was making is that Jordan playing baseball really didn't cost Jordan that much money as he was still getting his basketball salary and still had tons of endorsement deals.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 08:27 AM)
Still, he played baseball. It was so bizarre, I still remember that summer after they won their first three-peat and his father was killed, then the leadup to the following season. It still makes absolutely no sense at all

It was a stupid f***ing charade. I was like 12 and thinking to myself "what the hell is this guy doing?" The best basketball player ever blatantly wasting his prime playing a sport he has absolutely no chance in succeeding in. Cost us a potential 8-peat and NO CHANCE of anybody ever matching his resume. Because of that dumb s*** LeBron is only 3-4 years away.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 06:57 PM)

And 9/11 was an inside job.

The only person i've ever heard equate Jordan's gambling with some kind of Stern reprimand is Bill Simmons. And we all know what kind of access/inside information he has - not much unless it's about the Celtics or post-2005.

It would make no sense for Stern to do ANYTHING to Jordan in the 90's. He was growing the brand of the NBA more than anyone could have dreamed. I think it's entirely reasonable for MJ to walk away after dominating the sport for three years AND having a major life altering event like the murder of his father. The thing with baseball was strange, but MJ's a strange, competitive dude. I think it's reasonable to assume that his ego just got in the way and he thought of the whole thing as another challenge he could master.

And his retirement in 98 is even more understandable - issues with Krause, he had to follow up on his threats not to return if Phil didn't, three straights championships with the last one being the most grueling, his brand/businesses were booming, he had nothing else to "win" in basketball, etc.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 10:22 AM)
And 9/11 was an inside job.

The only person i've ever heard equate Jordan's gambling with some kind of Stern reprimand is Bill Simmons. And we all know what kind of access/inside information he has - not much unless it's about the Celtics or post-2005.

It would make no sense for Stern to do ANYTHING to Jordan in the 90's. He was growing the brand of the NBA more than anyone could have dreamed. I think it's entirely reasonable for MJ to walk away after dominating the sport for three years AND having a major life altering event like the murder of his father. The thing with baseball was strange, but MJ's a strange, competitive dude. I think it's reasonable to assume that his ego just got in the way and he thought of the whole thing as another challenge he could master.

And his retirement in 98 is even more understandable - issues with Krause, he had to follow up on his threats not to return if Phil didn't, three straights championships with the last one being the most grueling, his brand/businesses were booming, he had nothing else to "win" in basketball, etc.

I didnt say anytthing about 98, I know what that was about. believe what you want, im not trying to change your mind

I'm done with the bulls***. I love my team too much. There's no chance in the Bulls getting in the lottery, so I'm done hoping they lose. This team is playing great against the Wizards. Go Bulls. Get those wins. Jimmy, get those buckets. DJ do yo thang.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 07:59 PM)
I'm done with the bulls***. I love my team too much. There's no chance in the Bulls getting in the lottery, so I'm done hoping they lose. This team is playing great against the Wizards. Go Bulls. Get those wins. Jimmy, get those buckets. DJ do yo thang.

Good jinx!