NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 11:28 AM)
http://www.healio.com/hematology-oncology/...tested-approved

You do know that different doctors have different opinions right?

And once again you are missing the point.

If just Rose was injured 1 time, you chalk it up to "s*** happens".

But what about the fact that almost every Bulls starter has pretty much had injury issues the last 2 years?

I guess its just all bad luck.

womp womp

This ignores the fact that Deng and Noah especially have had injury issues long before Thibs took this team over, as has Kirk.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 11:27 AM)
Well, actually your argument was that they regressed every year since they won 62 games, which completely ignored the fact that they only played 66 games the following year. Since you say you are all about evidence, show me the evidence that Bulls players get hurt any more than players from other teams. Derrick Rose played 35 mpg in 2011/2012. Did Thibs play him too much?

I dont have access to that information. If you can link me to a website that will provide me with minutes played and injuries, Ill gladly do the legwork and see what the results are.

But unfortunately this isnt ever going to be hard science. Because every person tolerates pain differently. So even if I could get stats on what player missed what game, there would be to many variables to come to an absolute conclusion of whether minutes played = more injuries.

That being said, no one has yet to make a good argument for why the Bulls shouldnt be more cautious with their players in the regular season.

And isnt that what this is all about? Its about being cautious to put yourself in the best chance to succeed.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 11:32 AM)
I dont have access to that information. If you can link me to a website that will provide me with minutes played and injuries,

Well, no, that's your job because that's your stance and you "use evidence".

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 11:31 AM)
This ignores the fact that Deng and Noah especially have had injury issues long before Thibs took this team over, as has Kirk.

lol

Once again circular logic.

Isnt that the exact reason you treat them with kid gloves?

If someone is already injury prone, dont you do everything in your power to keep them from getting injured again?

IE You dont play Deng the most minutes of any player in the NBA when he already has a wrist problem?

Once again, you guys can believe what you want, but it just isnt how any normal business handles their property.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 11:33 AM)
Well, no, that's your job because that's your stance and you "use evidence".

You are the one trying to refute my evidence.

Bulls have gone from a 62 win team to a 45 win team.

You make excuses about injuries, I show Popovich who over 17 years (numerous injuries to players) never once had a 17 year regression.

A lot of you guys seem to be fine with good, Im not. I hate to say it, but nothing will be accomplished if the Bulls are going to sleep at night and thinking:

"One day a NBA championship will fall into our laps."

I may be wrong, I could be 100% wrong. But Im just not going to sit here and say everything is fine.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 11:35 AM)
lol

Once again circular logic.

Isnt that the exact reason you treat them with kid gloves?

If someone is already injury prone, dont you do everything in your power to keep them from getting injured again?

IE You dont play Deng the most minutes of any player in the NBA when he already has a wrist problem?

Once again, you guys can believe what you want, but it just isnt how any normal business handles their property.

How about statistics?

Over the last few years Luol Deng played in 211 of a possible 230 games, good for 91.7%. The three years previous to Thibs he played in 182 of a possible for 246 games equaling out to 73.9% of games.

Who is to say that Thibs superior conditioning program isn't keeping Deng on the floor more often?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 11:39 AM)
Rose is in his early 20's. If you have to use kid gloves with him at this age then he's already done. You have more of an argument with the other guys, I guess.

Rose's minutes are generally fine. Its the fact that 2 years ago he really never seemed right and then he got injured in like the last minute of a playoff game.

It could be completely coincidental, it could be like being struck by lightning, I just dont see why people wouldnt want to critically look at what happened and ask:

"Is there something we can do to prevent this in the future"

Maybe there isnt, maybe nothing can be done. I just dont understand why so many people want to stubbornly refuse to even acknowledge that maybe something can be done to try and ensure that the Bulls are 100% healthy going into the playoff.

Its like even mentioning the idea that somehow Thibs could improve immediately brings out every die hard defender who cant even accept that maybe Thibs isnt perfect.

Its just odd for me.

The Heat won, what, 66 games this year? How many games would they win next year without LeBron?

I mean, argue what you will about Thibs overusing his players, but arguing for regression is absolutely ridiculous. You are talking 62 wins, 62 win pace, and 45 wins without a top 3 player in the league.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 11:43 AM)
The Heat won, what, 66 games this year? How many games would they win next year without LeBron?

trick question. LeBron is a cyborg with a receding hairline.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 11:43 AM)

I mean, argue what you will about Thibs overusing his players, but arguing for regression is absolutely ridiculous. You are talking 62 wins, 62 win pace, and 45 wins without a top 3 player in the league.

If LeBron didn't play it would be Thibs' fault

The "regression" was due to not having their star player, who prior to his freak acl tear accident had already missed a good chunk of the season and wasn't playing a lot of minutes. So the argument that he was overworked makes no sense.

I would like Thibs to pull guys when they're up 20 with 4 minutes to go. I don't think this team, of sub-30 year olds, should go the Spurs route and purposefully sit out games to rest up for the playoffs. The Spurs are battle hardened vets. The Bulls are not.

Doesnt Lebron average a high amount of minutes as well?

Also, the Spurs have had injuries and rested stars, but they havent played an entire season without Duncan or Parker

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 04:39 PM)
Bulls have gone from a 62 win team to a 45 win team.

You make excuses about injuries, I show Popovich who over 17 years (numerous injuries to players) never once had a 17 year regression.

Pops never lost Duncan for a year.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 11:43 AM)
Rose's minutes are generally fine. Its the fact that 2 years ago he really never seemed right and then he got injured in like the last minute of a playoff game.

It could be completely coincidental, it could be like being struck by lightning, I just dont see why people wouldnt want to critically look at what happened and ask:

"Is there something we can do to prevent this in the future"

Maybe there isnt, maybe nothing can be done. I just dont understand why so many people want to stubbornly refuse to even acknowledge that maybe something can be done to try and ensure that the Bulls are 100% healthy going into the playoff.

Its like even mentioning the idea that somehow Thibs could improve immediately brings out every die hard defender who cant even accept that maybe Thibs isnt perfect.

Its just odd for me.

?? He looked amazing that first game. He was like 25-9-9.

Edit: and I think people defend Thibs because he completely turned around a franchise that was f***ing terrible for years.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 11:43 AM)
How about statistics?

Over the last few years Luol Deng played in 211 of a possible 230 games, good for 91.7%. The three years previous to Thibs he played in 182 of a possible for 246 games equaling out to 73.9% of games.

Who is to say that Thibs superior conditioning program isn't keeping Deng on the floor more often?

Its absolutely possible. I dont deny at all that there is a chance that what Thibs is doing is actually keeping players more healthy.

Its impossible to know for sure. I just know that the Spurs/Heat had their superstars and they made the finals.

So if the bulls doctors believe that playing players more will keep them healthy, that is fine with me. If they think playing less will keep them healthy, that is fine with me.

The point is, regular season doesnt matter, playoffs do. And (imo) the Bulls need to focus on getting all of their players to the playoffs healthy.

However that works out, is fine with me.

The regular season does matter. A really nice first step in beating the Heat would be having home court advantage. That isn't something that you haphazardly not care about.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 11:46 AM)
I would like Thibs to pull guys when they're up 20 with 4 minutes to go. I don't think this team, of sub-30 year olds, should go the Spurs route and purposefully sit out games to rest up for the playoffs. The Spurs are battle hardened vets. The Bulls are not.

The bolded is exactly the point. Ive never suggested that they sit players like the Spurs.

But watch out, if you say even the slightest negative thing about Thibs on this board your public enemy #2 (J4l is always #1) :)

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 11:48 AM)
Its absolutely possible. I dont deny at all that there is a chance that what Thibs is doing is actually keeping players more healthy.

Its impossible to know for sure. I just know that the Spurs/Heat had their superstars and they made the finals.

So if the bulls doctors believe that playing players more will keep them healthy, that is fine with me. If they think playing less will keep them healthy, that is fine with me.

The point is, regular season doesnt matter, playoffs do. And (imo) the Bulls need to focus on getting all of their players to the playoffs healthy.

However that works out, is fine with me.

In the case of James, he has been in the NBA top 10 in minutes played most every year. Wade is an awful example, because he is injured a ton. For the Spurs, you already have a case where people swear that the limited minutes played by their stars are what cost San Antonio an NBA title

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 11:49 AM)
The regular season does matter. A really nice first step in beating the Heat would be having home court advantage. That isn't something that you haphazardly not care about.

I guess if Im given the choice of:

8 seed fully healthy D-Rose

or

1 seed no D-Rose

Im going with the 8th seed. You guys keep acting like im talking about absolutes. When it really is discretion. Its about sitting guys when you are up 10 with 1 minute left. When you are up 20 with 4 minutes left. Its about sitting guys when you are down 20 with 2 minutes left. its about sitting an injured guy 1 more game to make sure they are 100%.

And if 1 time you happen to lose one of those games, oh f***ing well.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 11:54 AM)
I guess if Im given the choice of:

8 seed fully healthy D-Rose

or

1 seed no D-Rose

Im going with the 8th seed. You guys keep acting like im talking about absolutes. When it really is discretion. Its about sitting guys when you are up 10 with 1 minute left. When you are up 20 with 4 minutes left. Its about sitting guys when you are down 20 with 2 minutes left. its about sitting an injured guy 1 more game to make sure they are 100%.

And if 1 time you happen to lose one of those games, oh f***ing well.

Those are absolutes

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 11:55 AM)
Those are absolutes

Uh no those are options.

I can give you more if you like:

2 seed with Rose 75%

3 seed with Rose 80%

etc etc

The point is that at a certain point (who knows where) it becomes more important for your player to be healthy, than to have home court advantage. Where that point is, who knows, could be different for different teams.

SS2k,

Look if Thibs sat guys more and had no injuries and somehow the Bulls got a 2 seed and lost in 7, people would blame him.

It is a damned if you do, damned if you dont honestly and I understand that.

But its the offseason, now is the time to discuss what WE think will give the Bulls a better chance to win. I think that if starters rest a little more in the regular season, we will see better results in the playoffs.

Could be wrong, could be right. But when youre not winning it all, you should always be looking for ways to improve. May not implement them, but certainly should discuss.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 09:47 AM)
?? He looked amazing that first game. He was like 25-9-9.

Edit: and I think people defend Thibs because he completely turned around a franchise that was f***ing terrible for years.

I still think the Bulls would have won the finals that year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 05:43 PM)
How about statistics?

I've actually thought about this quite a bit. I don't know what to think about it, b/c it could just be luck. But boozer too, suddenly healthy in his life.