NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 10:56 AM)
Management needs to get this done. But beside that my post was about the million f'ing snarky "well ask Reggie hehehe" posts that still get posted every other post.

The reality of the NBA today is that having superfriends is the easiest way to build to teams. The Heat happened because the big three colluded together and took paycuts to make it happen. Execs can't do things like that, but Derrick can. Derrick wants to b**** about the Bulls selling off Deng, but a large part of the responsibility for the shape of this team falls squarely on his shoulders. It might get old, and it might be snarky, but it doesn't make it any less true. If Derrick Rose were willing to sell players on being in Chicago, this franchise could look very different.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 06:04 PM)
The reality of the NBA today is that having superfriends is the easiest way to build to teams. The Heat happened because the big three colluded together and took paycuts to make it happen. Execs can't do things like that, but Derrick can. Derrick wants to b**** about the Bulls selling off Deng, but a large part of the responsibility for the shape of this team falls squarely on his shoulders. It might get old, and it might be snarky, but it doesn't make it any less true. If Derrick Rose were willing to sell players on being in Chicago, this franchise could look very different.

At least he wants to stay in Chicago, he could very well be a superfriend to a player on a different franchise. The front office, meanwhile had a lot of tools at their disposal to get some special talent this year, and seem pretty deadset on status quo. They have money, draft picks, and trades at their disposal, Rose has being friendly. It isn't on him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 12:04 PM)

You're a broken record, lately.

train.jpg

Now, back to reality, where Rose has already struck up his friendship with other elite players, but we'll see if the Bulls are ever smart enough to make it happen. It took Wade (the spy) AND the Heat as an organization to make this happen. Derrick has already befriended two guys who will be available soon.

(but Derrick doesn't make friends and doesn't care!!!!!)

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 09:28 PM)
Davis was probably a better prospect. It's hard to know if my memory is clouded though because of Davis' early dominance. My impression of his stock at the time was that he had huge upside (KG was thrown around as a comparison) if everything worked out but that his offense was still a work in progress and he needed to bulk up. I don't think most scouts were predicting him to average 20-10 in his second year. I also think he was a relatively safe prospect, meaning that at worst he'd still be an athletic big that starts in the league for like 10 years.

I've seen about half a dozen Kansas games and watched the Draft Express scouting video of Embiid (those things are awesome). My impression is that he has the same type of upside as Davis, but he's not as safe. It's easy to see his potential if you just watch his highlights. He's huge, mobile and flashes some post moves that most NBA players don't have much less someone as inexperienced as Embiid. He also makes a lot of mistakes though. His shots out of the post aren't always pretty. He will throw up weak attempts in traffic, especially if there's contact. He also gets lost occasionally on defense, bites on a lot of fakes and makes some silly fouls. That stuff can be ironed out obviously, but I have a hard time seeing him play 30 quality minutes in the NBA right now.

They're also very different players stylistically. Davis mostly uses his athleticism to find points in space (lobs, transition, pick-and-roll, putbacks, ect) while Embiid is more of a true post guy.

Davis also started as a PG and then grew a foot, so he has better handles.

Embiid has only been playing for what, 3-4 years? He shows flashes of Hakeem with his footwork. It's crazy how advanced he is for how little he's played. In that respect, as an offensive player in the post, I think he is way ahead of Davis. Davis, however, is a better defender and a better all around offensive player because he can hit a jumpshot.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 12:14 PM)
You're a broken record, lately.

train.jpg

Now, back to reality, where Rose has already struck up his friendship with other elite players, but we'll see if the Bulls are ever smart enough to make it happen. It took Wade (the spy) AND the Heat as an organization to make this happen. Derrick has already befriended two guys who will be available soon.

(but Derrick doesn't make friends and doesn't care!!!!!)

Derrick has flat out said he won't recruit players, not that he doesn't have friends. If he wants a star on this team, he needs to get off his ass and help.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 12:12 PM)
At least he wants to stay in Chicago, he could very well be a superfriend to a player on a different franchise. The front office, meanwhile had a lot of tools at their disposal to get some special talent this year, and seem pretty deadset on status quo. They have money, draft picks, and trades at their disposal, Rose has being friendly. It isn't on him.

You'll never hear me excuse this front office from anything. But this isn't the 20th century anymore. Player to player relations play a pretty big role in the modern NBA.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 12:19 PM)
Derrick has flat out said he won't recruit players, not that he doesn't have friends. If he wants a star on this team, he needs to get off his ass and help.

Who cares what he's said to the media? (I mean, aside from you, obviously)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 07:19 PM)

These are also the first few years where players of his generation are available. I think he'd feel more comfortable recruiting knowing he could still be Mr. Alpha.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 12:28 PM)
These are also the first few years where players of his generation are available. I think he'd feel more comfortable recruiting knowing he could still be Mr. Alpha.

That's the key. He wants to be THE guy. I think if they bring in a guy like Melo he's going to be pissed off about it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 12:54 PM)
Who cares about having a mediocre Bulls team? I guess you don't.

How does one statement have anything to do with the other? Reggie (Rose's mouth piece, so you say) has been whining about talent on the roster for awhile. I'm sure Rose is more than willing to "recruit" (ie, be nice to) other players to get them to come here. He has done so.

Wade made friends. Bosh, LeBron, and Wade were not set on any destination. The big guy gets responsibility for turning Wade into his spy and making it happen. Riley gets the credit.

Get over The Decision, please.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 12:54 PM)
Why. It isn't like we have seen anything to disprove his own words.

We really havent seen an opportunity to disprove it either. 2010 was all wrapped up in a bow for the heat

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 12:57 PM)
How does one statement have anything to do with the other? Reggie (Rose's mouth piece, so you say) has been whining about talent on the roster for awhile. I'm sure Rose is more than willing to "recruit" (ie, be nice to) other players to get them to come here. He has done so.

Wade made friends. Bosh, LeBron, and Wade were not set on any destination. The big guy gets responsibility for turning Wade into his spy and making it happen. Riley gets the credit.

Get over The Decision, please.

I haven't seen a shred of proof there.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 12:33 PM)
i dont think Melo would come to chicago if it pissed Rose off

La La said he is staying in NY anyway. Thibs loves Melo even though Melo plays D like Boozer.

For the Bulls to be able to offer a max contract, they will have to amnesty Boozer and dump Gibson on someone.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 01:04 PM)
La La said he is staying in NY anyway. Thibs loves Melo even though Melo plays D like Boozer.

For the Bulls to be able to offer a max contract, they will have to amnesty Boozer and dump Gibson on someone.

It can be done by trading Boozer and MDJ in a S&T for Melo. Then you can keep Gibson and should actually have room to also sign Mirotic.

Offering the Sacramento Pick, Bobcats Pick, and a Bulls first and second could entice the Knicks to take Boozer and whatever the Bulls get for MDJ. They have zero picks (I believe) for the next few years and if Melo is leaving they might as well get something.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 08:04 PM)

Melo is so much more athletic than Boozer, and I feel like is better on D than gets credit for. But, to the first point, Melo has all the tools to be better on defense and Thibs will pull those strings (and probably make him worse on offense).

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)
Melo is so much more athletic than Boozer, and I feel like is better on D than gets credit for. But, to the first point, Melo has all the tools to be better on defense and Thibs will pull those strings (and probably make him worse on offense).

Carmelo possesses the ability to take over a game. Boozer has nothing close to that.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)

I'm not debated whether Melo is better than Boozer. That is obvious. But it is interesting Thibs has a man crush on Melo considering the way Melo has been known to play on the defensive end.

Maybe it is one reason why the Thibs to NY rumors never seem to go away, and why even though he tries to make it look like the rumors are silly, Thibs never says it won't happen.

IMO, if Gar/Pax ever even consider letting Thibs out of his contract, JR needs to rid himself of Gar/Pax.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 01:46 PM)
Gibson will draw interest btw. We won't have to dump him, he's one of the best defensive players in the game and is having a legitimately improved offensive year.

I used dump just because they would have to get rid of his contract, but I agree and think Gibson is more than worth what they pay him. The big mess would be if the Bulls traded Gibson to get cap space and failed to get Melo or LeBron or eventually, Love. That would be bad.