NBA Thread 2013-2014

Jenks,

That is why this year is so important. Yes Thibs did great the first year. But this year is really going to be where he has to prove that it wasnt a fluke. His last 2 years no Rose in playoffs or regular season, so the decline is defensible.

But what are our expectations this year?

Id have to say EC Finals right?

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 12:15 PM)
Jenks,

That is why this year is so important. Yes Thibs did great the first year. But this year is really going to be where he has to prove that it wasnt a fluke. His last 2 years no Rose in playoffs or regular season, so the decline is defensible.

HUH?

s*** this year with this crap roster full of nothing proves he's not a fluke.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 12:18 PM)
HUH?

s*** this year with this crap roster full of nothing proves he's not a fluke.

Oh I think you misunderstand. I definitely think Thibs is a guy that can take a subpar team and make them average/good/great.

The question is can he take a good/great team and win a championship.

In the history of the NBA, I believe only 30 coaches have won a championship. Of those 30, 13 have won multiple.

So its just a very very elite club, and most coaches never get there. I think Thibs can get there, but I am just not willing to put him there yet.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 12:16 PM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baske...0,3156964.story

I'm starting to come around on the kid again.

It would be hypocritical of me not to be okay with what Rose did. As much as it would have been awesome for him to come back last year, it would have been unbearably devastating if he somehow got injured.

Im pretty sure most people will forget as soon as they announce his name on opening night.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 12:26 PM)
Oh I think you misunderstand. I definitely think Thibs is a guy that can take a subpar team and make them average/good/great.

In the history of the NBA, I believe only 30 coaches have won a championship. Of those 30, 13 have won multiple.

So its just a very very elite club, and most coaches never get there. I think Thibs can get there, but I am just not willing to put him there yet.

LET'S WAIT UNTIL HE HAS A FULL HEALTHY TEAM FOR f***'S SAKE. The first year he had that the Bulls went to the ECF!!!

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 11:49 AM)
The regular season does matter. A really nice first step in beating the Heat would be having home court advantage. That isn't something that you haphazardly not care about.

A really nice first step in beating the Heat would be realizing that this core won't get it done. If you have 1 player that can create his own shot, you are not beating Miami anywhere. There is 1 player in the NBA that can shutdown Derrick Rose. Lebron is that player. The Bulls can tinker all they want with a "new bench mob" but until they get better players next to Rose they will not win a title.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 01:30 PM)
A really nice first step in beating the Heat would be realizing that this core won't get it done. If you have 1 player that can create his own shot, you are not beating Miami anywhere. There is 1 player in the NBA that can shutdown Derrick Rose. Lebron is that player. The Bulls can tinker all they want with a "new bench mob" but until they get better players next to Rose they will not win a title.

So what is the answer? Trade Rose and rebuild, wait 3 years until someone helps the Bulls out Gasol-style, or go to the internet and complain that management needs replaced?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 12:26 PM)

You never put a coach there until they actually win one. I dont understand the disconnect between what he's done with this franchise and your opinion. Is there some sort of secret ability to take a great team to a title? Usually that secret is superstar players which Thibs has only had one of his entire time here and has made the Bulls an upper tier team that other teams hate playing against.

You play a nice devil's advocate but this argument makes no sense based on his track record so far as a head coach.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 12:29 PM)
LET'S WAIT UNTIL HE HAS A FULL HEALTHY TEAM FOR f***'S SAKE. The first year he had that the Bulls went to the ECF!!!

Thats what Im doing see my previous post:

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 05:31 PM)
So what is the answer? Trade Rose and rebuild, wait 3 years until someone helps the Bulls out Gasol-style, or go to the internet and complain that management needs replaced?

I would like to see the Bulls try and trade for a player. Maybe once they have done this, we won't have to waste our time with these stupid "2010 plan" "2014" plan and try and sign a max player with no leverage.

Do you guys remember how Asik became such a worthless player with more playing time on the Rockets because all year teams just fouled him non-stop to get him to the free throw line? Yeah, me neither.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 12:32 PM)
You never put a coach there until they actually win one. I dont understand the disconnect between what he's done with this franchise and your opinion. Is there some sort of secret ability to take a great team to a title? Usually that secret is superstar players which Thibs has only had one of his entire time here and has made the Bulls an upper tier team that other teams hate playing against.

You play a nice devil's advocate but this argument makes no sense based on his track record so far as a head coach.

Rock,

We have different standards. I think there is maybe 1 or 2 elite NBA coaches at the moment. Nothing against Thibs either, there are plenty of coaches with titles who I dont consider elite.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 12:41 PM)
Rock,

We have different standards. I think there is maybe 1 or 2 elite NBA coaches at the moment. Nothing against Thibs either, there are plenty of coaches with titles who I dont consider elite.

So your issue is your argument then. If you only have 1 elite coach in ALL of the NBA then your posts were pretty much pointless. Without a title and only a few years of head coaching experience it would be impossible to name him the best coach in the NBA, and nobody on here would name him that either.

Of course "one of the best in the league" is a totally different discussion of which Thibs is most definitely included.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 01:38 PM)
I would like to see the Bulls try and trade for a player. Maybe once they have done this, we won't have to waste our time with these stupid "2010 plan" "2014" plan and try and sign a max player with no leverage.

Great. I'd love to see a reasonable way to make the salaries work to bring a player to the Bulls who could put them over the top.

The best talk around the draft was Deng for a draft pick or every asset the Bulls have for LaMarcus Aldridge. He's a good player but he's not going to put them over the top if they're not there already.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 05:49 PM)
Great. I'd love to see a reasonable way to make the salaries work to bring a player to the Bulls who could put them over the top.

The best talk around the draft was Deng for a draft pick or every asset the Bulls have for LaMarcus Aldridge. He's a good player but he's not going to put them over the top if they're not there already.

I get that, but so far our only ideas for past 15 years have revolved around getting a star in free agency. It hasn't happened and is even less likely in 2014 than it was in 2010, where we have very little leverage to add your #2.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 01:58 PM)
I get that, but so far our only ideas for past 15 years have revolved around getting a star in free agency. It hasn't happened and is even less likely in 2014 than it was in 2010, where we have very little leverage to add your #2.

I'm happy to admit that if there was a legit trade for a star available in the late 2000's that the Bulls didn't take advantage of because they wanted to hold onto Deng, they made a mistake.

But other than that, look how the NBA has gone over the past few years.

What stars have been traded? Dwight Howard forced a trade and that was a disaster for the trading team. They're likely now to wind up with jack squat.

CP3 was traded, but the Bulls really don't need a point guard.

Pau Gasol was traded for scraps, but everyone paying attention knows that 2/3 of the league would have come up with better offers than the Lakers if given the chance to do so.

Beyond that, the main movement of the last few years was the Heat being assembled and the Celtics being assembled. The Bulls didn't have the assets for Garnett when he finally was dealt, and the Heat assembly was BS backoom "the league is too hard" crap anyway.

It's not like the Bulls can look out there and think "Man we missed out on such a great trade". The things the bulls have missed out on have been dominated by backroom, league-fixing BS.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 07:03 PM)
I'm happy to admit that if there was a legit trade for a star available in the late 2000's that the Bulls didn't take advantage of because they wanted to hold onto Deng, they made a mistake.

But other than that, look how the NBA has gone over the past few years.

What stars have been traded? Dwight Howard forced a trade and that was a disaster for the trading team. They're likely now to wind up with jack squat.

CP3 was traded, but the Bulls really don't need a point guard.

Pau Gasol was traded for scraps, but everyone paying attention knows that 2/3 of the league would have come up with better offers than the Lakers if given the chance to do so.

Beyond that, the main movement of the last few years was the Heat being assembled and the Celtics being assembled. The Bulls didn't have the assets for Garnett when he finally was dealt, and the Heat assembly was BS backoom "the league is too hard" crap anyway.

It's not like the Bulls can look out there and think "Man we missed out on such a great trade". The things the bulls have missed out on have been dominated by backroom, league-fixing BS.

You are missing a few trades. But the fact that CP3 is a PG is irrelevant. There are more star PGs now than regular players.

In that time frame, Carmelo Anthony was also traded, as well as Deron Williams. While he may have taken a hit in popularity I think it's fair to say that was a blockbuster when it happened.

Harden, also, was traded.

And then you have your other tiers of players moving now. Your thomas robinsons trading for nothing (bulls nowhere in sight), Eric Gordon will get traded (granted, we won't be able to make this work). Players are constantly available. Trades happen often in NBA.

And regardless of whether Howard worked out for LA, they really didn't have many assets to get him and still landed him. WHen you look around the league, players seem to be moving to teams, to me, that shouldn't be able to do that, all the time.

When was the last bulls trade that actually netted them a player they expected to use, and wasn't just salary dump? Our FO doesn't seem to be aware that players are available for trades. They are never teams "in the discussion".

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 12:30 PM)

Nobody can shut Derrick down 1 on 1. The Heat as a team surely give him problems though. I'll agree with that.

The only player mentioned so far that would have worked in a basketball sense is Harden. Since the Thunder were trying to get out of salary hell, it is very unclear to me how we could have made that work better than Houston did. We didn't have a Kevin Martin or a Doron Lamb, and I'm not sure if our Charlotte pick would have been enticing since it is likely to be deferred fairly far into the future.

Sometimes teams can seem to get trades done out of sheer force of will (Lakers and Howard, CP3 and Clips), but we had legitimate competition for Harden and I can't believe we could have matched what Houston offered, not to mention -- is it possible OKC wasn't eager to further bolster a team that was already a title contender?

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 01:24 PM)
Nobody except Lebron James can shut Derrick down 1 on 1.

Fixed.

"It's hard where a guy, he's running at top speed, he can easily catch up with you," Rose said. "It's extremely hard where a 6-8 guy can easily defend you."

This was Rose after game 4 of that series.