NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 04:40 PM)
Yep, there are no quality of play issues in the Western Conference. They only exist in the East where you have a number of teams that have gutted their rosters on purpose to tank or have zero idea how to run a franchise (I'm looking at you Michael Jordan). Add in key injuries to two of the 4 East teams with legit talent (Chicago and Brooklyn) and you have a disaster of a conference.

Charlotte is actually turning it around due to the hirings MJ made. As a GM he was bad. Owner? He ain't that bad.

Try again.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 05:40 PM)
Yep, there are no quality of play issues in the Western Conference. They only exist in the East where you have a number of teams that have gutted their rosters on purpose to tank or have zero idea how to run a franchise (I'm looking at you Michael Jordan). Add in key injuries to two of the 4 East teams with legit talent (Chicago and Brooklyn) and you have a disaster of a conference.

(And of course the biggest competitive issue in the league, the self-assembled super team).

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 04:43 PM)
Charlotte is actually turning it around due to the hirings MJ made. As a GM he was bad. Owner? He ain't that bad.

Try again.

They're still only on pace for 39 wins and used their last two first rounders on Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Cody Zeller. Not exactly setting the world on fire.

That said, Cleveland, Detroit and Milwaukee would be better examples.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 04:57 PM)
They're still only on pace for 39 wins and used their last two first rounders on Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Cody Zeller. Not exactly setting the world on fire.

That said, Cleveland, Detroit and Milwaukee would be better examples.

MKG was looked at as a consensus #2. Zeller, yeah, didn't like that one but it was also a s*** draft.

I'm more intrigued with what the Bobcats do in this draft.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)
MKG was looked at as a consensus #2. Zeller, yeah, didn't like that one but it was also a s*** draft.

I'm more intrigued with what the Bobcats do in this draft.

"Consensus" is a bit strong. I will say it wasn't laughed at when it happened.

As for this draft, they might only get Portland's pick. The Bulls are probably getting their pick, and Detroit's is top-8 protected.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 05:01 PM)
MKG will be Tony Allen without a 3pt shot. Maybe that's just Ronnie Brewer.

If only he had to play one more year in college...

Although last years draft was terrible.

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (Boogua @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 05:10 PM)
If only he had to play one more year in college...

Although last years draft was terrible.

It was 2 years ago. Drummond or Beal would have turned out much better, and Barnes would have been better too (not counting Lillard because they weren't taking a point). Cleveland (Waiters) and Sacramento (Robinson) can't be any happier.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 11:18 PM)
It was 2 years ago. Drummond or Beal would have turned out much better, and Barnes would have been better too (not counting Lillard because they weren't taking a point). Cleveland (Waiters) and Sacramento (Robinson) can't be any happier.

I mean, they kinda shoulda had Anthony Davis.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 04:16 PM)
This argument is silly. Executives make terrible decisions even when they've seen guys play In the NBA. Kwame Brown was such a bust, yet he's still made over $80 million in the NBA. He's still collecting checks right now. If we wait until NBA executives get enough info to make the right decision more often than not, the players will be collecting retirement benefits before they enter the draft.

You can't honestly see the difference between drafting someone at an older age vs a younger age?

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 05:01 PM)
"Consensus" is a bit strong. I will say it wasn't laughed at when it happened.

As for this draft, they might only get Portland's pick. The Bulls are probably getting their pick, and Detroit's is top-8 protected.

The MKG pick was always weird as it seemed to be based on the "winner" label he was given. But most people did have him at number 2 though.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 05:32 PM)
You can't honestly see the difference between drafting someone at an older age vs a younger age?

Fine, you take a 23 year old Taj Gibson, I'll take a 19 year old Lebron. Deal?

Plenty of GM's are perfectly fine taking guys after one year. A quick look at the top of the drafts this decade will show that. If they're SOOOO concerned about not taking raw guys that "aren't ready", then they don't have to. They take the best talent though, which in this day and age is generally going to be the younger guy. I posted a link to the study that pointed that out, and someone else posted the one about improvement being greater in the NBA. But I guess the NCAA needs and deserves that money more than the players...

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 08:42 PM)
Dayumm. A Tsunami takes place and I'm not part of it. Anyway, only OCFs think more college=better NBA. GTFO. College basketball is pathetic and the coaches try to make it all about them. #COLLEGEBASKETBALLSUCKS!!!

I don't disagree. College basketball is good for watching prospects/watching your college or alma mater.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 07:07 PM)
Fine, you take a 23 year old Taj Gibson, I'll take a 19 year old Lebron. Deal?

Plenty of GM's are perfectly fine taking guys after one year. A quick look at the top of the drafts this decade will show that. If they're SOOOO concerned about not taking raw guys that "aren't ready", then they don't have to. They take the best talent though, which in this day and age is generally going to be the younger guy. I posted a link to the study that pointed that out, and someone else posted the one about improvement being greater in the NBA. But I guess the NCAA needs and deserves that money more than the players...

Come on. That's a terrible comparison. Something better would be comparing a 19 year old lebron to a 21 year old Duncan. Or even a 19 year old to only a 20 year old Elton Brand. How about a 19 year old Dwight Howard vs a 22 year old Emeka Okafor (same draft class).

Clearly some guys are more talented, but age and experience make a difference early on. GMs don't care overall if guys are more ready, but that doesn't change the fact that the older guys were more ready. These guys don't need to go to the NCAA. Maybe the two year rule helps the NBDL or Europe?

QUOTE (Boogua @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 09:34 PM)
Come on. That's a terrible comparison. Something better would be comparing a 19 year old lebron to a 21 year old Duncan. Or even a 19 year old to only a 20 year old Elton Brand. How about a 19 year old Dwight Howard vs a 22 year old Emeka Okafor (same draft class).

Clearly some guys are more talented, but age and experience make a difference early on. GMs don't care overall if guys are more ready, but that doesn't change the fact that the older guys were more ready. These guys don't need to go to the NCAA. Maybe the two year rule helps the NBDL or Europe?

I was clearly picking an awful comparison to make a point.

At the moment, the NCAA is easily the best option for them. They get far more exposure there, which is good for their stock.

Europe is a terrible idea for most guys. Not only do you have to adjust to a totally different style of basketball and team management, you have to move overseas with a limited support system and a completely different culture. I've read that most of the coaches don't deal with young guys well. Not all of them actually pay you either supposedly.

The D-League is a possibility eventually. It's not really supported well enough at this point though and teams generally don't send legitimate talents down there. If they built that up so it was a viable alternative, I would have no problem with a setup similar to baseball (enter from high school or stay in college multiple years). Teams need to have the option to call guys up early if they're killing people down there though. That's really my main issue: they're assuming that guys under 20 "aren't ready" when we've seen a bunch of guys that have been already.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 08:42 PM)
Dayumm. A Tsunami takes place and I'm not part of it. Anyway, only OCFs think more college=better NBA. GTFO. College basketball is pathetic and the coaches try to make it all about them. #COLLEGEBASKETBALLSUCKS!!!

According to you the Bulls who are one of the top seeds in the East, play at least 82 meaningless games a year. I don't know what else you need to show the NBA currently sucks.

I think if you take a 19 year old raw prospect over a 23 year old polished senior, you better at least have some pretty decent Development Coaches.

But then again, Basketball is so much about system and finding the right pieces for the right situation. DJ Augustin's an example I would probably use for this season.

I look at Orlando for instance and how they are treating their young guys. Some have fit such as Vucevic because they were given an opportunity, others are still finding their way (like Harris and Harkless), whilst an Andrew Nicholson who argubly was one of the more polished players who got drafted, can't get playing time anymore because he's a horrible defender.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 12:38 AM)
still a long way to go. i didn't forsee Brooklyn getting into the race either.

The Bulls' schedule is pretty easy the rest of the way. Beating the Pacers was big. If they can beat Portland tonight, they have a shot at 50 wins.

How about Kirk Hinrich's random aggressiveness recently?

When he actually tries to force his will shooting and driving it opens up our offense so much more. Much better than dribbling until the shot clock expires.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 10:12 AM)
How about Kirk Hinrich's random aggressiveness recently?

When he actually tries to force his will shooting and driving it opens up our offense so much more. Much better than dribbling until the shot clock expires.

The injury is coming.