NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 04:08 PM)
And that is why coaches are paid millions of dollars. They have to figure out a way to balance it and make it work.

Against 90-99% of the teams the Bulls can just out defense them and win. Against the Heat/Thunder, they are going to be nights where they have to score points too. To get to the next level the Bulls are going to have to find a way against those teams to score 90-100 points because you cant shut them down every night.

I agree with this. But why'd you have to go back two decades to find shooters that you would want? Steve Kerr guarding 2013 point guards or bigger 2's would be first dinner scene from Nutty Professor funny.

Edited by Jordan4life

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 04:08 PM)
And that is why coaches are paid millions of dollars. They have to figure out a way to balance it and make it work.

Against 90-99% of the teams the Bulls can just out defense them and win. Against the Heat/Thunder, they are going to be nights where they have to score points too. To get to the next level the Bulls are going to have to find a way against those teams to score 90-100 points because you cant shut them down every night.

You need better rotations in games like that. Deng going 42 minutes or whatever against a team like the Knicks who don't play defense is one thing, but the Heat/Thunder/Spurs are going to take increased defensive intensity plus they will play better defense, requiring even great energy expenditure.

Ouch, 2-14 for Manu after the crap-fest of a year he had? And another $9 mil a year for Splitter? And we rip on the Bulls for overpaying their guys. It's even worse in this case because the Spurs had cap space...

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 04:13 PM)
I agree with this. But why'd you have to go back two decades to find shooters that you would want? Steve Kerr guarding 2013 point guards or bigger 2's would be first dinner scene from Nutty Professor funny.

As someone who grew up watching MJ, when it comes to the NBA Im stuck in the 90s. :P

(edit)

And it was more about his ability to hit 3s, not his size position etc. Id love to have a PF who can shoot 45% from 3.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 04:14 PM)
You need better rotations in games like that. Deng going 42 minutes or whatever against a team like the Knicks who don't play defense is one thing, but the Heat/Thunder/Spurs are going to take increased defensive intensity plus they will play better defense, requiring even great energy expenditure.

That was another part I was going to mention, but whenever I say anything about Thibs it leads to pages of argument.

I think he needs to be slightly more unpredictable with his rotations. Not sitting the same guys at the same points, give the other team something to think about have to adjust to.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 04:23 PM)
As someone who grew up watching MJ, when it comes to the NBA Im stuck in the 90s. :P

That was another part I was going to mention, but whenever I say anything about Thibs it leads to pages of argument.

I think he needs to be slightly more unpredictable with his rotations. Not sitting the same guys at the same points, give the other team something to think about have to adjust to.

The thing I noticed most about the Heat in the playoffs, and frankly the regular season too, was basically playing at 75% and being mechanically smooth in the first half and first 3 quarters of a game, and then they'd turn it on in the 2nd half/4th quarter and put teams away.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 04:25 PM)
The thing I noticed most about the Heat in the playoffs, and frankly the regular season too, was basically playing at 75% and being mechanically smooth in the first half and first 3 quarters of a game, and then they'd turn it on in the 2nd half/4th quarter and put teams away.

Thats something as a Bulls fan you got spoiled with when they had Jordan. He had a very good instinct for the right moment to turn it up and put the other team away. The bulls now just seem content grinding it out and keeping it close, when sometimes you want them to flip the switch go full out for a few minutes and end the game right then.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 05:28 PM)
Thats something as a Bulls fan you got spoiled with when they had Jordan. He had a very good instinct for the right moment to turn it up and put the other team away. The bulls now just seem content grinding it out and keeping it close, when sometimes you want them to flip the switch go full out for a few minutes and end the game right then.

In that 2011 run, I'm not sure the Bulls had the scorers to really flip the switch and put other teams away. The times when they'd do that IIRC were in games where someone like CJ Watson would hit several shots from outside. Outside of Korver they didn't have scoring punch to put teams away, and if Korver was in there their defense was hurting which could allow the other team to break up a scoring run.

This Bulls team is much better at 3-point shooting IMO than the 2011 team, even if we only have one proven sharpshooter. I will even concede that Korver is a better shooter than Dunleavy, even though I'd love one of our statheads to pull out the advanced numbers and see who nails what kind of shots and what percentages (set jumpshot, off screens, etc -- we're not going to be paying these guys to shoot fadeaways or anything).

First of all, Keith Bogans and Ronnie Brewer were completely hopeless at making three point shots or just shots in general. Bogans was so inept that opposing teams pretty much refused to guard him at all. He had only a passable 3P% when we all know that the vast majority of his threes were relatively uncontested. These two got most of the minutes.

You replace Bogans and Brewer primarily with Butler and Snell. We'll say Dunleavy = Korver for these purposes. Jimmy isn't a "sharpshooter" but is actually capable of knocking down open threes and will make defenses pay for leaving him alone. Snell is somewhat of an unknown entity but it is a safe assumption that he can trump Brewer's 22 and 27 3P percentages as a Bull.

Watson could shoot some, but barely played (13 mpg, rarely on the floor w/ Rose). Hinrich, statistically, is a pretty similar shooter. It's my opinion that Hinrich is more equipped to play the role of a spot-up jump shooter than Watson who is more of a creator. I am fairly certain that we will see Kirk and Rose share the court some this season as well, that should be something that boosts Kirk's efficiency if we believe that Derrick creates open threes by being a threat on the drive (not to mention our ability to run real post players out there).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 12:14 PM)
If anyone believes the Lakers would genuinely have given up Kobe, I have a bridge to sell them...but yes, that one was the talk. And if that one could have happened and didn't then that was a mistake.

Yes, Harden would look good on the Bulls, but as was just pointed out, the Bulls simply did not have an expiring contract to offer up for him while the Rockets did. The Thunder wouldn't have taken on Deng or Noah because that would have put them in Luxury tax territory this year.

From what I always heard the deal was done and Jerry Buss nixed it after having a phone conversation with Kobe last minute. Bulls were going to announce a press conference and a Kobe Bulls jersey had been made.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 06:12 PM)
I thought he was the next head coach for the Hoosiers as it was his dream job.

This definitely removes heat from Tom Crean. Stephens winning at Butler over the next year or two could have put some serious pressure on Crean.

Bulls to waive Rip

If the bulls were to amnesty Boozer they would be under the cap. Since the Bulls already used the mini MLE can they still use the regular 5M MLE if they get under the cap? That is of course assuming there is someone out there in FA that would be worth dumping Boozer for.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 05:14 PM)
This definitely removes heat from Tom Crean. Stephens winning at Butler over the next year or two could have put some serious pressure on Crean.

This last year was Creans best chance to cement his tenue IMO, with Stevens gone he now has more rope.

And thats two Matta-coaching tree guys hired into the NBA this offseason, not bad.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 05:12 PM)
I thought he was the next head coach for the Hoosiers as it was his dream job.

He still may be the next head coach of the Hoosiers. The Celtics are probably going to be bad for a while. I think the odds are good Stevens winds up back in college at some point.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 4, 2013 -> 01:17 AM)
He still may be the next head coach of the Hoosiers. The Celtics are probably going to be bad for a while. I think the odds are good Stevens winds up back in college at some point.

Yep, who knows, it might be easier for Stevens to decide to go from the Celtics to IU than if he had to go from Butler to IU?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 4, 2013 -> 12:19 AM)
Yep, who knows, it might be easier for Stevens to decide to go from the Celtics to IU than if he had to go from Butler to IU?

Definitely. Taking Butler into a power conference with new money and I think he is a lifer there. Now once he gets fired in the nba he will have the CBB job of his choosing.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 07:17 PM)

Right about the time Coach K retires.