NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 09:01 PM)
Hibbert is a valid argument. But it's hard to ignore the 7 RPG and that he only plays 30 MPG. He's the best interior defender in the game today, but his low minutes limit his impact, the his rebounding leaves a lot to be desired. One big difference between Hibbert and Noah is the latter can step out and guard the perimeter on occasions, Hibbert's lateral quickness extremely limited so he's a non factor in this area. Noah impacts the game in more areas while playing 5 more minutes a game.

If you asked me two months ago, I would have said Hibbert hands down, but Hibbert and the Pacers D has fallen back to earth after such an amazing start.

It's not hard to ignore at all when you consider how defense is evaluated in 2014. The days of raw blocks per game, steals per game and defensive rebounds per game are over. defensive rating and rim protection (for bigs) are what's vogue now. Otherwise Gasol never wins it last year. I agree with you when it comes to Hibberts minutes. He gets winded at times and is not every mobile. Still, Noah's 5 minutes per game is more than likely not enough to close the defensive gap between the two.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 09:26 PM)
It's not hard to ignore at all when you consider how defense is evaluated in 2014. The days of raw blocks per game, steals per game and defensive rebounds per game are over. defensive rating and rim protection (for bigs) are what's vogue now. Otherwise Gasol never wins it last year. I agree with you when it comes to Hibberts minutes. He gets winded at times and is not every mobile. Still, Noah's 5 minutes per game is more than likely not enough to close the defensive gap between the two.

Yes, which still favors Noah over Hibbert. Regardless of how you look at it, Noah is at near the top of the board for many many voters for the award.

Defensive Rating

1. Joakim Noah-CHI 95.7

2. Andrew Bogut-GSW 95.8

3. Paul George-IND 96.3

4. Tim Duncan-SAS 96.9

5. Roy Hibbert-IND 97.2

Defensive Win Shares

1. Paul George-IND 6.1

2. Joakim Noah-CHI 5.9

3. DeAndre Jordan-LAC 5.5

4. Roy Hibbert-IND 4.9

5. David West-IND 4.8

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 09:58 PM)
Yes, which still favors Noah over Hibbert. Regardless of how you look at it, Noah is at near the top of the board for many many voters for the award.

Defensive Rating

1. Joakim Noah-CHI 95.7

2. Andrew Bogut-GSW 95.8

3. Paul George-IND 96.3

4. Tim Duncan-SAS 96.9

5. Roy Hibbert-IND 97.2

Defensive Win Shares

1. Paul George-IND 6.1

2. Joakim Noah-CHI 5.9

3. DeAndre Jordan-LAC 5.5

4. Roy Hibbert-IND 4.9

5. David West-IND 4.8

I find it weird that DeAndre Jordan is one of the most valuable centers in the NBA this year. He actually has more win shares than Noah and Dwight.

2ebqo9i.jpg

Filtered out people who play less than 20 min/game, less than 40 total games, and have fewer than 3 at the rim attempts per game. That leaves 92 players, so it seems like a fair enough sampling.

So the one factor from which we can argue Hibbert is better, he's not really leaps and bounds better.

Unbelievable how many more steals Noah gets than his peers at the center position.

Fun Noah stat from NBA.com player tracking: He averages more passes per game than everyone in the NBA other than Kemba Walker, Rajon Rondo, Chris Paul, John Wall, Kyle Lowry, Ricky Rubio, and Josh McRoberts (the official poor man's Joakim Noah)

http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/7872

Joakim Noah dished out 120 assists in the month of March. The Bulls played a ton of games in March (16 in 31 days), but that's still an impressive average of 7.5.

According to Elias Sports Bureau, that is the most assists by a center in a single month since Wilt Chamberlain had 155 in March, 1968. That was the year Wilt decided he'd done enough scoring in his career, so he led the league in assists with 8.6.

Among all players, Noah finished tied for 7th in assists during March. Here's the list:

1. Rajon Rondo, Bos 11.1

2. Chris Paul, LAC 10.3

3. John Wall, Was 9.0

4. Ty Lawson, Den 8.8

5. Ricky Rubio, Min 8.6

6. Kendall Marshall, LAL 7.9

7. Joakim Noah, Bulls 7.5

(tie) Kemba Walker, Cha 7.5

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 2, 2014 -> 06:00 AM)
Fun Noah stat from NBA.com player tracking: He averages more passes per game than everyone in the NBA other than Kemba Walker, Rajon Rondo, Chris Paul, John Wall, Kyle Lowry, Ricky Rubio, and Josh McRoberts (the official poor man's Joakim Noah)

I love how Noah turned up his game just after Bernstein started that idiotic meme that he only was good against garbage centers.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 2, 2014 -> 02:14 PM)
I love how Noah turned up his game just after Bernstein started that idiotic meme that he only was good against garbage centers.

Speigel and Mac have been hammering him about that. They always play "Why dont you eat your big mac and shut up" whenever they bring it up

I have a goofy question.

I've never really paid attention to All NBA team voting results before. One question, is that voted on positional like best PG, SG, SF, PF and C or is it voted on as best Guards, Fowards and Center? In other words, can you have two SGs if the best guards that year were SGs or do you separate by position? Best PG, SG and so forth...

I ask this because Kevin Durant has been the best SF this season, yes even over LeBron. I know LBJ sometimes plays PF when they go small but we all know he's always been a SF first. So LeBron gets a 1st team All NBA as a PF even though they're better natural PFs (Griffin, Love) in the league? Two SFs are in the 1st All NBA team?

The way I see it, KD should be 1st All NBA SF and LeBron 2nd All NBA SF, I don't get how he's a better PF than those guy's whose first position is PF.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 10:31 AM)
I have a goofy question.

I've never really paid attention to All NBA team voting results before. One question, is that voted on positional like best PG, SG, SF, PF and C or is it voted on as best Guards, Fowards and Center? In other words, can you have two SGs if the best guards that year were SGs or do you separate by position? Best PG, SG and so forth...

I ask this because Kevin Durant has been the best SF this season, yes even over LeBron. I know LBJ sometimes plays PF when they go small but we all know he's always been a SF first. So LeBron gets a 1st team All NBA as a PF even though they're better natural PFs (Griffin, Love) in the league? Two SFs are in the 1st All NBA team?

The way I see it, KD should be 1st All NBA SF and LeBron 2nd All NBA SF, I don't get how he's a better PF than those guy's whose first position is PF.

Lebron and Durant has been on all NBA First teams for the past 4 years.

The rule for voting all NBA teams is 2 guards, 2 forwards and a center.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

HEre's my final hope. The sixers split 1/2 with the celts, and then win a game against the Heat 2nd string. Yes, the heat 2nd string is better than the Dleague sixers but they may get hot, and I'll win the bet on the last day.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 09:09 AM)
Here's my final hope. The sixers split 1/2 with the celts, and then win a game against the Heat 2nd string. Yes, the heat 2nd string is better than the Dleague sixers but they may get hot, and I'll win the bet on the last day.

This would displease me.

Magic number for the Bobcats pick is now at 1. Not sure if this has been talked about, but if given the oppertunity to package those picks to trade up, would you? How high would it have to be? Who would you be targeting?

What about trading BOTH and then some for Melo or Love(If he becomes made available)? 3 1sts/Boozer/Taj/Snell or if need be Butler sounds fair right?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 5, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)
Pacers lose to the Raptors, who don't even have Lowry or Johnson. And Paul George gets in a shoving match with john salmons.

The wheels are off this train

The pacers missed their last 7 shots on what turned into a 10-0 run for the raptors. Choke 101.

When the Pacers get eliminated so will Vogel.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Apr 5, 2014 -> 06:30 AM)
Magic number for the Bobcats pick is now at 1. Not sure if this has been talked about, but if given the oppertunity to package those picks to trade up, would you? How high would it have to be? Who would you be targeting?

What about trading BOTH and then some for Melo or Love(If he becomes made available)? 3 1sts/Boozer/Taj/Snell or if need be Butler sounds fair right?

I would imagine there is very little opportunity to trade up. This isn't the NFL, there is a lot of diminishing returns out of the top 10.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 5, 2014 -> 09:53 AM)
I would imagine there is very little opportunity to trade up. This isn't the NFL, there is a lot of diminishing returns out of the top 10.

At the same time, the Knicks have no picks, so they would be trading into the draft. Considering the state of that organization, that is probably something they would want to explore

QUOTE (scs787 @ Apr 5, 2014 -> 12:30 AM)

I think unless they can get a star player, they should stand pat and pray that Aaron Gordon falls to them. Bulls should be able to bring Mirotic over and add 2 pretty nice pieces in draft. That also allows the team flexibility in dealing Taj, Butler whoever in a package in the 2015 offseason. I'm not a huge Lance Stephenson fan unless it's for good money.