NBA Thread 2013-2014

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 07:04 PM)
This last year was Creans best chance to cement his tenue IMO, with Stevens gone he now has more rope.

Both statements are true. Though, it's not like he still doesn't have a chance to "cement his tenure" but you're right in that he could have done it last year but didn't.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 07:23 PM)
Definitely. Taking Butler into a power conference with new money and I think he is a lifer there. Now once he gets fired in the nba he will have the CBB job of his choosing.

Yeah, if he's unsuccessful in the NBA, he can go anywhere (not like he really couldn't already).

What a kick in the nuts to Butler though, they must have been feeling sky high. Wonder who they'll get? But that's a discussion for the NCAA thread....

A portland message board suggests Deng/Noah for LMA/Wes Matthews....I might be the only one but I would do that all day and twice on the 4th of July. They lose a little bit on D but neither Wes nor LMA are slouches defensively. What they gain on offense though has the potential to put them over the top. Matthews is a much better 3 point shooter than Deng (40% vs 32%, Wes had the higher volume as well) and we all know LMA is a better offensive player than Jo.

Not sure how Boozer and LMA would pair up though. Hypothetically they can amnesty Boozer, get below the cap, sign another big to go along with Taj, LMA, and Naz.

Just rambling about something that will never happen.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

The Bulls have made some noise in free agency so far, reaching an agreement with Mike Dunleavy and agreeing to re-sign Nazr Mohammed to a minimum-salary deal. The club also reportedly plans to release Richard Hamilton before his contract becomes guaranteed next week. Here are a few more updates out of Chicago as the Bulls continue to tweak their roster:

Within a piece about the relationship between head coach Tom Thibodeau and star point guard Derrick Rose, K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune passes along an intriguing tidbit on LaMarcus Aldridge. According to Johnson, the Bulls "continue to rebuff attempts" by Aldridge's reps to bring the All-Star big man to Chicago. The Bulls have been unwilling to discuss a hypothetical deal that would see them give up Joakim Noah and Jimmy Butler for Aldridge, sources tell Johnson.

As Hoops Rumors' agency database shows and as Johnson suggests, Aldridge and Rose are both represented by Wasserman Media Group.

Johnson notes within the same article that GM Gar Forman's decision to part ways with lead assistant Ron Adams was related to Adams' "complaining about personnel matters."

The Bulls have been in touch with Nate Robinson and have offered a minimum-salary deal, according to Alex Kenendy of HoopsWorld (via Twitter). However, Robinson is seeking a bigger multiyear contract after a successful season in Chicago.

Hoopshype.com

I would love to acquire Aldridge somehow. He is not a free agent until 2015 though and it is widely known that he'd like to be in Chicago with Rose. They can't give up Noah and Butler though and they won't. I would offer Deng, Taj, and draft picks. Portland won't take that deal but that's what I would offer.

You're losing a lot of the advantage to adding Aldridge if Noah goes in the deal. Then you're still stuck with Boozer or hoping you can get enough from Mirotic/Gibson at the power forward spot. It's not exactly easy to find a D and rebounding center on a budget. I'd rather have Aldridge, but the gap isn't nearly big enough to make a huge difference. Then when you talk about adding Butler too, that's too much. We're not talking about prime KG with this deal.

The other issue is I don't see why they'd want Deng since they already have Batum on the roster. It'd be one thing if the Bulls are sending a bunch of young guys and picks and just need Deng to match salaries, but that's not the case in most deals I've seen.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 4, 2013 -> 11:41 AM)
You're losing a lot of the advantage to adding Aldridge if Noah goes in the deal. Then you're still stuck with Boozer or hoping you can get enough from Mirotic/Gibson at the power forward spot. It's not exactly easy to find a D and rebounding center on a budget. I'd rather have Aldridge, but the gap isn't nearly big enough to make a huge difference. Then when you talk about adding Butler too, that's too much. We're not talking about prime KG with this deal.

The other issue is I don't see why they'd want Deng since they already have Batum on the roster. It'd be one thing if the Bulls are sending a bunch of young guys and picks and just need Deng to match salaries, but that's not the case in most deals I've seen.

Blazers also don't have a whole lot of overpaid/long term salary guys so the Deng expiring deal really isn't hugely valuable to them. They'd wind up clearing some space by moving Aldridge but they'd be taking on long term money in the form of Noah.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 4, 2013 -> 10:41 AM)

I asked this earlier in the thread and got no answer. If the Bulls got under the cap, the Deng/Noah for LMA/Matthews trade and amnesty of Boozer would do it, could the Bulls then use their full MLE to sign a big? Or since they already used they mini MLE on Dunleavy can they no longer use it?

I'd love to see what Thibs could do with Timofey Mosgov.

Portland fans are suggesting that they would play Batum at the sg position. (Don't shoot the messenger, I know Batum is 6'8" and probably shouldn't be considered a SG)

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jul 4, 2013 -> 11:05 AM)
I asked this earlier in the thread and got no answer. If the Bulls got under the cap, the Deng/Noah for LMA/Matthews trade and amnesty of Boozer would do it, could the Bulls then use their full MLE to sign a big? Or since they already used they mini MLE on Dunleavy can they no longer use it?

Portland fans are suggesting that they would play Batum at the sg position. (Don't shoot the messenger, I know Batum is 6'8" and probably shouldn't be considered a SG)

No, you can't have the tax-payer MLE and the regular MLE. That's basically what happened last year, they originally offered Hinrich the mini and gave him the full after Asik left.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 4, 2013 -> 11:16 AM)
No, you can't have the tax-payer MLE and the regular MLE. That's basically what happened last year, they originally offered Hinrich the mini and gave him the full after Asik left.

Thanks.

I don't know how far under they would be after those moves but I think they would be far enough under to offer Timofey Mosgov a contract. He's a guy I really wanna see what Thibs can do with. I think he still has loads of potential but has never been in the right situation. Taj and LMA would get the starters minutes with Mosgov being the primary big off the bench.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jul 4, 2013 -> 10:10 AM)
A portland message board suggests Deng/Noah for LMA/Wes Matthews....I might be the only one but I would do that all day and twice on the 4th of July. They lose a little bit on D but neither Wes nor LMA are slouches defensively. What they gain on offense though has the potential to put them over the top. Matthews is a much better 3 point shooter than Deng (40% vs 32%, Wes had the higher volume as well) and we all know LMA is a better offensive player than Jo.

Not sure how Boozer and LMA would pair up though. Hypothetically they can amnesty Boozer, get below the cap, sign another big to go along with Taj, LMA, and Naz.

Just rambling about something that will never happen.

So you want Aldridge to play center? Thibs would kill someone.

Wes Matthews is awesome, so is LMA, but man, our bigs would suck.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jul 4, 2013 -> 11:32 AM)
Thanks.

I don't know how far under they would be after those moves but I think they would be far enough under to offer Timofey Mosgov a contract. He's a guy I really wanna see what Thibs can do with. I think he still has loads of potential but has never been in the right situation. Taj and LMA would get the starters minutes with Mosgov being the primary big off the bench.

They wouldn't be under the cap, they'd be under the luxury tax. That means vet minimum only since they used their MLE on Dunleavy.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 4, 2013 -> 11:54 AM)
So you want Aldridge to play center? Thibs would kill someone.

Wes Matthews is awesome, so is LMA, but man, our bigs would suck.

I honestly don't know much about LMA defensively other than he won the big 12 DPOY in college so I assumed he had some defensive skills.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 4, 2013 -> 12:00 PM)
They wouldn't be under the cap, they'd be under the luxury tax. That means vet minimum only since they used their MLE on Dunleavy.

Just redid the calculations and if hoopsworlds numbers are correct they would just barely be under the cap @ 57.9, the cap is 58.5. If they had any faith in Teague, they could try to move Hinrich to free up close to 5M for a big.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 4, 2013 -> 04:01 PM)
$$$$$

I understand Jefferson's point of view (kinda understand). Why are the Bobcats doing this? They're still nowhere near playoff contention even with Jefferson. They shootin' for 30 wins? The last thing they need is to win 25-30 games and miss out on Wiggins, Parker or Randle. What a terrible franchise the Bobcats are.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 4, 2013 -> 04:10 PM)
I understand Jefferson's point of view (kinda understand). Why are the Bobcats doing this? They're still nowhere near playoff contention even with Jefferson. They shootin' for 30 wins? The last thing they need is to win 25-30 games and miss out on Wiggins, Parker or Randle. What a terrible franchise the Bobcats are.

Lets hope it continues until 2016. :)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 4, 2013 -> 04:51 PM)
And people keep saying that we should move the Bobcats pick because it won't be a top pick in 2016.

I'm disgusted at this and I care about the Bobcats like I care about hockey. Jefferson does nothing for them in the short (well, other than potentially ruining their draft position) or long term.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 05:30 PM)
Warriors will need sign and trade to get Howard

Is there any way fathomable way that we can sneak in there and get Thompson sent our way?

Sure, if we circumvent the system and give Trayce a huge extension and say he has to share it with his brother after Klay agrees to a below-market level extension here:)

Edited by fathom