NBA Thread 2013-2014

Good work@zoom with the salary cap stuff. NBA salary cap confuses the hell out of me, especially with all the exceptions. Anyway, I don't believe for a second Carmelo will sign here. I just hope the Bulls get with the modern nba program and add some floor spacers to combat these advanced defenses.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 08:05 PM)
Good work@zoom with the salary cap stuff. NBA salary cap confuses the hell out of me, especially with all the exceptions. Anyway, I don't believe for a second Carmelo will sign here. I just hope the Bulls get with the modern nba program and add some floor spacers to combat these advanced defenses.

I don't even attempt to try and figure it out. Makes my head ache.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 08:05 PM)

Larry Coon's FAQ is by far the best site I know of to find answers. The FAQ's at the top help a ton. Yes, the cap is far too complicated and I admittedly forget at least one random wrinkle in every salary cap post I make. Honestly, my best trick is editing stuff I screwed up later to make myself look smart. :lol:

Rose obviously helps a ton if he's close to his old self just by drawing defenders, but they've needed another option for several years. The pipedream is someone like Melo or Love, but I try not to get too hopeful for that.

Mirotic can definitely stroke the 3, but I'm a little worried that Thibs will only give him like 20 MPG because DEFENSE. Hopefully he's at least a 13-8 type like Ersan Ilysova when he's right (Yes, I know Ersan sucked this year), that would help the Bulls a lot. Not only would drawing bigs out of the paint be a huge help, they'd have a pretty nasty offense/defense platoon with Taj. I'd love to see a setup where Noah gets more like 32 a game in the regular season, those two both get in the high-20's and they find a token large banger for the few times they need a 2nd center. That can be a damn good frontcourt.

The real trick is finding a legit wing that can go for 20+ when he's on but not taking 18 shots to get there (lookin' at you Luol). I don't know where that comes from. They'll have shots with the two firsts, but I don't expect to get that kind of upside at those spots. I think I'd take Young personally because I think he has the most raw talent, but Stauskas would be the better fit for what they have now. I guess PJ Hairston or Rodney Hood would work too, but they're less exciting to me. It doesn't help that Butler had a terrible year offensively, I was hoping for better. He gets to the line at a nice rate, but if he's shooting 40% that doesn't help. If he can get to 45% from the field, that'd help a ton.

I also think you need 3 PG's on the roster next year with Rose's recent history, or at least 2 and a combo guard. One of them can be a Nate/DJ type, but the other one has to be better than freakin' Hinrich. I think Gary Harris would be a great fit off the bench, but he's unlikely to make it to 16. Zach Lavine would be an interesting fit too, but I'm not sure they can afford to take a project.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 08:53 AM)
I swear sometimes it seems like you cover your eyes when Boozer plays and only see the points he scores.

It's just that his usage makes no sense. If he actually sucks, then he shouldn't be starting and playing 70% of the first three quarters. If he is good enough to merit the playing time in the first three quarters, then he should get more than 0 minutes in the final quarter/8 minutes of the game

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 10:32 PM)
Lamarcus Aldridge continues to absolutely destroy the Rockets.

I don't know what Houston's doing by not putting Howard or Asik on him constantly. He just destroys anyone else.

Watching the West playoffs is insane. Serious question: would the Pacers even make the playoffs in the West? They were seven games better than the 8 seed Mavs. Would they have lost seven more games if they were playing more games against the West instead of the East?

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 08:34 PM)
The problem is that math above is already for a bare-bones roster. Look at the lack of depth up front and at PG in the math I did. A $5 million paycut for Melo wouldn't drastically change the math as that would still only leave about $3 million in cap space to fill multiple holes (and the two picks, but they'll be mid-round rookies). You still have to do it because a Rose/Melo/Noah core is something to work with, but the rest of the roster would be pretty weak.

If we're talking sign and trade, then yeah, MUCH more room to work with. Right now they're projected to be almost $14 million under the tax line. That doesn't factor in picks/cap holds, but they also have to send out a ton of salary to make the trade work, so it'll even out. It'll cost assets, but they'd also have room for both Melo and Mirotic. It'd cost them most of their picks most likely, but adding those two would be worth it.

The trick IMO for the Bulls is that they have to have legit leverage in order to make the Knickerbockers consider a sign and trade. If the Bulls can legitimately sit at a table and say they have an agreement in principle with Anthony as a free agent, then they can go to New York, offer up a couple draft picks and Boozer's deal as an expiring and say that they get the choice between taking that and getting nothing for Anthony walking.

It'd be bigger than previous ones but we've seen this happen before. The Heat did exactly that with James - he announced he was taking his talents to Miami and then Miami and Cleveland worked out a sign and trade where Lebron got more money in a trade and Cleveland picked up like an extra draft pick. Because it was already happening, Cleveland went along with it to make their long term state better.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 10:37 PM)
It's just that his usage makes no sense. If he actually sucks, then he shouldn't be starting and playing 70% of the first three quarters. If he is good enough to merit the playing time in the first three quarters, then he should get more than 0 minutes in the final quarter/8 minutes of the game

Come on man, it makes total sense and you know it. The guy gives back the points he is making, and then some. We all see it. His effort is terrible, and the team needs full effort to succeed. You cant have him in there in the last quarter giving points away because his defense is so terrible that other players have to cover his ass.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 12:19 PM)
Come on man, it makes total sense and you know it. The guy gives back the points he is making, and then some. We all see it. His effort is terrible, and the team needs full effort to succeed. You cant have him in there in the last quarter giving points away because his defense is so terrible that other players have to cover his ass.

Is that different than the rest of the game?

We saw this blow up in our face in the last game where it didn't matter how good or bad Taj Gibson is because he and the rest of the team was absolutely gassed in OT. Likewise, as with any other player, you occasionally play a guy despite knowing he isn't generally better because he might happen to play better for a stretch of time. It's like Nate Robinson. Generally, he'll lose you points, but if you are quick enough with the trigger, you can put him out there and let him win you some games when he gets going

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 12:44 PM)
Is that different than the rest of the game?

We saw this blow up in our face in the last game where it didn't matter how good or bad Taj Gibson is because he and the rest of the team was absolutely gassed in OT. Likewise, as with any other player, you occasionally play a guy despite knowing he isn't generally better because he might happen to play better for a stretch of time. It's like Nate Robinson. Generally, he'll lose you points, but if you are quick enough with the trigger, you can put him out there and let him win you some games when he gets going

Nate Robinson singlehandedly won games with his offense. When has Boozer EVER done that for the Bulls?

The 4th quarter is absolutley different than the rest of the game, because if you have a lead you have to protect it. Carlos DOES NOT DO THAT.

Im sorry man, he simply does not deserve to play the 4th quarter.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 01:20 PM)
Nate Robinson singlehandedly won games with his offense. When has Boozer EVER done that for the Bulls?

The 4th quarter is absolutley different than the rest of the game, because if you have a lead you have to protect it. Carlos DOES NOT DO THAT.

Im sorry man, he simply does not deserve to play the 4th quarter.

Who really cares.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 01:56 PM)
You know who else doesn't win games with his offense?

Kirk Hinrich.

The Bulls are what they are. They go balls to the wall for 82 games racking up victories over opponents that play the 80% throttle game. There's no question when watching these teams which roster is better - and it ain't the Bulls. Come playoff time, everyone is balls to the wall.

So let's all stop b****ing about how much Kirk sucks (he does, we all know it) and how much Carlos Boozer sucks (he does, we all know it) and there's certainly zero reason to debate whether Carlos Boozer should be out there in the 4th quarter playing "Ole!" defense and shooting 19 foot fadeaways.

This team is what it is. There are no surprises coming anytime this season. Just pray they can work out a miracle and add Carmelo Anthony and a healthy Derrick Rose and we can all participate in a bukaki together afterwards.

Beyond that, just enjoy the non-Bulls basketball, because if you're holding out any hope of that the Bulls can win this series, I spoiler (also known as "kyyle-mode"*) for you. They won't.

*kyyle is a dick and spoils things on facebook

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 02:03 PM)
The Bulls are what they are. They go balls to the wall for 82 games racking up victories over opponents that play the 80% throttle game. There's no question when watching these teams which roster is better - and it ain't the Bulls. Come playoff time, everyone is balls to the wall.

So let's all stop b****ing about how much Kirk sucks (he does, we all know it) and how much Carlos Boozer sucks (he does, we all know it) and there's certainly zero reason to debate whether Carlos Boozer should be out there in the 4th quarter playing "Ole!" defense and shooting 19 foot fadeaways.

This team is what it is. There are no surprises coming anytime this season. Just pray they can work out a miracle and add Carmelo Anthony and a healthy Derrick Rose and we can all participate in a bukaki together afterwards.

Beyond that, just enjoy the non-Bulls basketball, because if you're holding out any hope of that the Bulls can win this series, I spoiler (also known as "kyyle-mode"*) for you. They won't.

I have been waiting for this, it took you longer than I expected

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 02:03 PM)

But Kirk still sucks

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 02:15 PM)
you should have stuck around after your grand showing, it got funnier

I saw it - a bunch of nerds I don't know wondering why I'd defriend someone I've never met on Facebook. Not funny as much as it was sad, actually. No big deal on my end, honestly, you gave no f***s, so I gave (and have given) no f***s.

Moving along... Melo Bulls?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 02:19 PM)
I saw it - a bunch of nerds I don't know wondering why I'd defriend someone I've never met on Facebook. Not funny as much as it was sad, actually. No big deal on my end, honestly, you gave no f***s, so I gave (and have given) no f***s.

Moving along... Melo Bulls?

Obviously not... which is why it was brought up again. :lol: