NBA Thread 2013-2014

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 5, 2014 -> 08:28 PM)
Man, get Roy Hibbert off the court. He's beyond embarrassing.

Either he is hurt somehow, or he wants out. Embarrassing is right

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ May 5, 2014 -> 08:33 PM)
0pts 0 rebounds 5 fouls

Wizards going to the conference finals

fy9hI.gif

The guy makes me look like a fool last year in the playoffs and this is what he's become? I'm done. And the Wizards have a chance to be really good. Their backcourt is just gross and should get better. Otto Porter, the 3rd pick last year, was hurt so you can't really judge him yet (though he's an athletic freak). A big FA signing and this team is right there.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ May 5, 2014 -> 08:33 PM)
0pts 0 rebounds 5 fouls

Wizards going to the conference finals

fy9hI.gif

They actually could give the heat some issues too. They have good size with Nene and Gortat, and I'm don't think the heat have anyone to keep wall from penetrating.

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 5, 2014 -> 08:38 PM)
The guy makes me look like a fool last year in the playoffs and this is what he's become? I'm done. And the Wizards have a chance to be really good. Their backcourt is just gross and should get better. Otto Porter, the 3rd pick last year, was hurt so you can't really judge him yet (though he's an athletic freak). A big FA signing and this team is right there.

You gotta love the Wall/Beal combo, but I'm not seeing a juggernaut in the making.

Porter's not the kind of guy I would call a freak athlete. He has great length, but he's not particularly quick, doesn't take guys off the dribble much and isn't an explosive leaper (which is why he only had a 27 inch no-step vert at the combine). He kind of reminded me of Luol Deng at Georgetown. That's not the worst thing in the world for a guy on a rookie contract though.

They're probably going to need him to produce too. Gortat and Ariza are both free agents this year and were a big part of them being decent this year. If they both walk, the Wiz would have about $19 million in space, but would need 7 more players. I would guess that it's quite a bit more likely that they overpay one or both of those guys (or someone else) than they add a stud.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 5, 2014 -> 08:54 PM)
You gotta love the Wall/Beal combo, but I'm not seeing a juggernaut in the making.

Porter's not the kind of guy I would call a freak athlete. He has great length, but he's not particularly quick, doesn't take guys off the dribble much and isn't an explosive leaper (which is why he only had a 27 inch no-step vert at the combine). He kind of reminded me of Luol Deng at Georgetown. That's not the worst thing in the world for a guy on a rookie contract though.

They're probably going to need him to produce too. Gortat and Ariza are both free agents this year and were a big part of them being decent this year. If they both walk, the Wiz would have about $19 million in space, but would need 7 more players. I would guess that it's quite a bit more likely that they overpay one or both of those guys (or someone else) than they add a stud.

Whoa, I didn't say juggernaut. I just don't think this is one of those fluke playoff runs, that's all. They're set in the back-court. Porter has a 27-inch vert? I don't believe that for s***. And yes, their FO is going to have to be smart. That's the biggest difference between the two conferences. Teams are just run much better in the west.

Wait, a no-step vert? What was his overall vert?

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 5, 2014 -> 09:04 PM)
Whoa, I didn't say juggernaut. I just don't think this is one of those fluke playoff runs, that's all. They're set in the back-court. Porter has a 27-inch vert? I don't believe that for s***. And yes, their FO is going to have to be smart. That's the biggest difference between the two conferences. Teams are just run much better in the west.

Wait, a no-step vert? What was his overall vert?

His overall vert was a 36, which is solid for a guy with his length. I choose to look at no-step vert because IMO it's a better gauge of "explosive athleticism". His vertical is kinda comparable to Tyler Hansbrough (27.5/34), who is far from explosive. Then you look at Blake Griffin, who only had a 35.5 inch max vert but a 32 inch no-step. A lot of guys can get up if they get some momentum. I've seen guys that play for Northwestern throw down vicious dunks if they get a step or two.

The combine is far from the bible, all you have to do is look at Kevin Durant's awful testing numbers (26.5/33.5, still don't understand that one). You also have to adjust expectations relative to size (ie DeAndre Jordan only had 26/30.5 verticals, but he also had a freakish 9'5" standing reach so he doesn't need much to get way above the rim).

The problem is "athleticism" is somewhat subjective. OJ Mayo tested just as well, if not better, than Westbrook and Rose, but doesn't play nearly as explosively. I just threw it in there as a frame of reference. My main opinion is from watching him half a dozen times at Georgetown and seeing him rely mostly on mid-range shots. The guys at Draftexpress had some similar comments.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (Jake @ May 5, 2014 -> 10:05 PM)
I'd really like the way Ariza would look in the Bulls lineup

I don't know if he can replicate what he did this year shooting the ball down the road.

If he can put up a .560 TS%, then yeah, he'd look great. But I'm not sure he can do it again given what he's done in his career.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 5, 2014 -> 10:05 PM)
I'd really like the way Ariza would look in the Bulls lineup

I would be very wary of paying him legit money (ie more than MLE). He's a career 35% three point shooter that makes .9 per game and he hit 2.3 per game this year on a 40.7% clip. Actually, his career high in his 9 seasons outside of Washington is 33.4%. John Wall just sets corner 3's up for him constantly, and without that crazy 3-point efficiency he's basically Jimmy Butler with fewer FT's. I don't see it working out terribly well if someone besides Washington signs him. The last team to give him a legit contract (the Rockets) regretted it almost immediately.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 6, 2014 -> 09:23 AM)
No one in the East is beating Miami. Forget it.

I didnt say it WOULD happen, merely that it would be funny if it did

The thing about jump shooting teams is they seem impossible to beat when they are on, as Washington is, but then they get cold. NeNe has to be hitting like 70% of his 12 ft jumpers. That's insane.