NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (Brian @ May 19, 2014 -> 02:26 PM)
I know little about NBA contracts, but could something even be done where main pieces could be Love to GS, David Lee to Bulls, boozer expiring/picks to Minn?

Than Bulls go get Melo?

It's actually feasible for this to happen, albeit in the land of make believe.

Bulls Out: Boozer, Taj, 16th pick, 19th pick, Sacramento pick, Mirotic, unguaranteed deals, Snell, future picks for...

Bulls In: Melo, Love, Shumpert

Knicks In: Boozer, 2016 Bulls pick, Snell, Sacramento pick

Knicks Out: Melo, Shumpert

Wolves In: Taj, Mirotic, 16th Pick, 19th pick.

Wolves Out: Love

Bulls Roster:

PG: Rose / Hinrich (Vet min)

SG: Butler/Shumpert

SF: Melo

PF: Love

C : Noah/Smith

Fill in the bench with the 2nd rounder and vet minimum ring chasers. I'd like Jabari Brown in the second to backup Butler, Shump to backup Melo.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 19, 2014 -> 03:18 PM)
Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 17m

Hearing that, if the Grizz totally clean house, the Memphis owner will look to trade for Tom Thibodeau + give him an SVG/Pistons-type deal.

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 13m

PS: Bulls need assets for a run at Kevin Love, an extra 1st round pick would help. They'd hire Fred Hoiberg if Thibs got traded. Stay tuned.

NO.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 19, 2014 -> 03:50 PM)
I wonder if the Bulls really will get an offer they can't refuse. That's a lot of chatter by a few different teams.

I think this is a very dangerous situation.

Players want to come to the Bulls because of TT. If you ship him out, you may be stuck with nothing.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 19, 2014 -> 03:50 PM)
I wonder if the Bulls really will get an offer they can't refuse. That's a lot of chatter by a few different teams.

Would you consider Marc Gasol + a draft pick an offer the Bulls can't refuse?

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 19, 2014 -> 05:26 PM)
Would you consider Marc Gasol + a draft pick an offer the Bulls can't refuse?

I don't think the Bulls can get far enough under the cap to do that even if they amnesthetize Boozer, they'd have to be able to fit Gasol's full $15 million next year (plus any draft pick hold) under the cap to make that work. However, they could make it work by Trading Boozer + Thibs for that package I believe.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2014 -> 04:30 PM)
I don't think the Bulls can get far enough under the cap to do that even if they amnesthetize Boozer, they'd have to be able to fit Gasol's full $15 million next year (plus any draft pick hold) under the cap to make that work. However, they could make it work by Trading Boozer + Thibs for that package I believe.

They'd be under the cap if they amnesty Boozer, so they can technically make that trade right? Then they can use Gasol as the main piece to get Love.

I think you'd have to do a three teamer, but i'm just saying, there's bound to be a great offer out there. I dunno when Thibs became this untradeable asset. He's amazing, but talent>coaching every day of the week. Bulls needs talent. They have a great 6th man in Taj, a good, if not overachieving center in Noah, and a broken MVP. You can't run that crap out there for a third year and expect different results.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 19, 2014 -> 04:37 PM)
I think you'd have to do a three teamer, but i'm just saying, there's bound to be a great offer out there. I dunno when Thibs became this untradeable asset. He's amazing, but talent>coaching every day of the week. Bulls needs talent. They have a great 6th man in Taj, a good, if not overachieving center in Noah, and a broken MVP. You can't run that crap out there for a third year and expect different results.

You have a coach that is getting you probably 15-20 wins above the teams talent level. Unless you get a return like that for him, why the f*** would you let him walk?

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 19, 2014 -> 05:32 PM)
They'd be under the cap if they amnesty Boozer, so they can technically make that trade right? Then they can use Gasol as the main piece to get Love.

Not exactly how it works. They would need to be under the cap by nearly the full amount of Gasol's contract in order to trade for him without sending matching salary back, teams can't go significnatly over the cap line by trading a draft pick for a contract. WIth the draft holds & other stuff I think the Bulls would still not be able to absorb Gasol even if they remove Boozer.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 19, 2014 -> 04:38 PM)
You have a coach that is getting you probably 15-20 wins above the teams talent level. Unless you get a return like that for him, why the f*** would you let him walk?

I think that's overblown. He plays like every game matters, when everyone else in the league takes a night off here or there. That's great for creating a winning culture, but it's not going to win you championships.

I'm not saying you should take a low 1st rounder for him. But if the Lakers offer up a lottery pick, or the Grizzlies can get a sign/trade done to get Love, you'd be an idiot not to take those deals, regardless of Thibs' coaching ability.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 19, 2014 -> 04:47 PM)
I think that's overblown. He plays like every game matters, when everyone else in the league takes a night off here or there. That's great for creating a winning culture, but it's not going to win you championships.

Winning games is a pretty important step on the road to winning championships. Underplaying that doesn't make any sense at all.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 19, 2014 -> 04:55 PM)
Winning games is a pretty important step on the road to winning championships. Underplaying that doesn't make any sense at all.

The Spurs, Heat and Mavs, you know, championship teams, all disagree with you. Losing 5-8 games out of an 82 game schedule doesn't mean much in the grand scheme.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 19, 2014 -> 05:02 PM)
The Spurs, Heat and Mavs, you know, championship teams, all disagree with you. Losing 5-8 games out of an 82 game schedule doesn't mean much in the grand scheme.

All three of those teams have won more games than the Bulls over the past 3 seasons, so apparently they do feel it is important to win games in season as well as in the post seasons

Edit: the Mavs haven't, but they are right there

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 19, 2014 -> 10:00 PM)
When is the last time that the Bulls signed a top tier FA?

Ill hang up and listen.

Not really fair, he was hired in the year we went on a spending spree for Boozer and had just re-signed Noah and Deng.

Since then team has been right at or above the luxury tax. But we have seen players sign for less to be on his teams.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 19, 2014 -> 05:06 PM)
All three of those teams have won more games than the Bulls over the past 3 seasons, so apparently they do feel it is important to win games in season as well as in the post seasons

Edit: the Mavs haven't, but they are right there

Yuup, the reason the Bulls havent won a title is because all of those teams have better talent.

My best case prediction:

Bulls have shown no penchant for the "BIG MOVE". So eliminate all three way deals. Eliminate any trades, as they overvalue their assets (except Thibs or anyone that questions Tony Snell being best draft pick in history)

The best shot we have is signing Carmelo. It is the easiest thing for Paxson and Gar to grasp, and will not cause them to stick their neck out too much in reorganizing the team.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 19, 2014 -> 05:13 PM)
Not really fair, he was hired in the year we went on a spending spree for Boozer and had just re-signed Noah and Deng.

Since then team has been right at or above the luxury tax. But we have seen players sign for less to be on his teams.

No it is fair. The Bulls have missed on pretty much every top tier FA in my life time. There is no evidence to support that Thibs has gotten top tier players to sign with the Bulls at a higher percentage.

Lets be honest, somehow this ends up with Love/Melo on the Lakers, while the Bulls continue to rebuild.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 19, 2014 -> 05:02 PM)

If you can't see the difference between these four teams in the last three years...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 19, 2014 -> 09:20 PM)
If you can't see the difference between these four teams in the last three years...

Even if Rose was 100% they weren't a lock to win anything. They still had to go through Miami. And as Rock said, those teams have talent. Much more talent than the Bulls have had the last few years. Which is why they win.

Obviously it would be ideal to keep Thibs and get Melo or Love on the roster, but if that's not possible and you reject a deal to get a lottery pick or a high caliber player like Love just to keep Thibs, you're dumb. He's not worth that much. No coach is worth that much. Coaching doesn't win you playoff games. Talent wins in the playoffs.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 19, 2014 -> 05:58 PM)
No it is fair. The Bulls have missed on pretty much every top tier FA in my life time. There is no evidence to support that Thibs has gotten top tier players to sign with the Bulls at a higher percentage.

Lets be honest, somehow this ends up with Love/Melo on the Lakers, while the Bulls continue to rebuild.

That's not what I was trying to say.

People mention flipping Thibs for players, and using those players to trade for Love or Melo (sign & trade), or improving this team + signing one of these players.

Thibs is what makes this team appealing. If you trade him, who is to say Melo or Love will even want to sign with the Bulls? I personally think if he goes, so do our chances of either of those players.

I just think it's not as simple as trade Thibs, get player, trade for Love.