NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 04:44 PM)
Ye have little faith...want a cookie?

I'm fairly confident, for whatever reason, they'll get one of the 2.

Melo probably makes the more sense since he's probably opting out so it wouldn't cost them draft picks and it wouldn't require completely gutting the team.

It's not that I have little faith. It was obvious to me it was going to be Melo because time and time again this Front Office has proven that they lack the ability to pursue players who are under contract. Free agency they understand! Okay, in 2 years x player will be available. They can plan for it, they get it.

Having to trade for Love? They have no idea how that works. I imagine they feel awkward about how to start the conversation with Flip. Maybe some smalltalk, but then what? Ugh, it's just so much easier in free agency.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 10:44 AM)

Melo probably makes the more sense since he's probably opting out so it wouldn't cost them draft picks and it wouldn't require completely gutting the team.

Of course I have little faith. This is the Bulls front office we are talking about.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 10:44 AM)

That is KC Johnson's take. I still think it would take a sign and trade, but if Gar/Pax come up empty this offseason, I think it will be a huge blow to the franchise. Enough is enough.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 10:15 AM)
Bill Simmons tweeting that the Celts are in the lead to land Love with the Warriors not wanting to rid K. Thompson and Bulls focusing on Melo.

And the race to end up with neither begins.

Why would Love want to go to Boston...?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 08:51 AM)
That is KC Johnson's take. I still think it would take a sign and trade, but if Gar/Pax come up empty this offseason, I think it will be a huge blow to the franchise. Enough is enough.

I agree; Things have worked out well with the Heat losing too. I also don't see how you can be passive on Love. At this point, you go big or go home.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 10:54 AM)
I agree; Things have worked out well with the Heat losing too. I also don't see how you can be passive on Love. At this point, you go big or go home.

It scares me. I worry that Miami tries to get one of these guys (Melo/Love) and the Bulls get caught, yet again, with their pants around their ankles.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 08:54 AM)
Because Boston.

I don't think he is that interested in Boston; I don't see why going to Boston makes things better. They aren't set-up to win, especially not if they give up the package being discussed. I guess I don't know their cap situation so maybe they have the ability to add another star a year from now?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)
Why would Love want to go to Boston...?

There's some connection to the franchise. Either he knew a player/management person or he was a gigantic fan as a kid. It's got nothing to do with the current roster.

Also, keep in mind this is Simmons, a Boston homer. Of course his Boston contacts are going to be all happy and upbeat about their chances. It all probably stems from Love going to Fenway with Rondo.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 08:55 AM)
It scares me. I worry that Miami tries to get one of these guys (Melo/Love) and the Bulls get caught, yet again, with their pants around their ankles.

That is what could happen and backfire. Miami could just swap Melo and Wade. That is if Wade is foolish enough to opt out. I guess it might not be foolishness of Wade but unselfishness to take less realizing they won't win and keep the band together with him getting anything near what he currently makes. That is why I don't see how you sit back and not go balls to the walls for Love.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 10:54 AM)

Not to mention ultimately Gar/Pax failure lands on Thibs' lap. If the Bulls aren't legit title contenders, Thibs will be gone when his contract expires.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 10:57 AM)
I absolutely hate this logic, but whatever.

DA, why do you think it'd take a sign and trade?

It isn't about logic, it is about their history. They have not been able to pull of the "big" move. I would sure be happy if they proved me wrong.

Zero % chance of Melo to the Heat. It would require Wade to opt out. And why would he do that? He's guaranteed 42 million the next 2 seasons, despite being a bench guy now. He won't get that on the open market. And although unlikely, what if he opts out to resign with the Heat and they offer him substantially less. Manu got 7 million this last year, and that seemed like an overpay. Who played better this year? Who still looks like he's got some gas in the tank?

So now you're asking Lebron to make a bunch less (he'd probably do it given his endorsement money), Bosh to take way less (maybe) and Carmelo to take way less (maybe). All for a team that has Lebron, but still wouldn't have much of a bench.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 10:56 AM)
That is what could happen and backfire. Miami could just swap Melo and Wade. That is if Wade is foolish enough to opt out. I guess it might not be foolishness of Wade but unselfishness to take less realizing they won't win and keep the band together with him getting anything near what he currently makes. That is why I don't see how you sit back and not go balls to the walls for Love.

I can't see how Wade could opt out without assurances they will be taking care of him.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 04:55 PM)
I don't think he is that interested in Boston; I don't see why going to Boston makes things better. They aren't set-up to win, especially not if they give up the package being discussed. I guess I don't know their cap situation so maybe they have the ability to add another star a year from now?

Eh, Boston isn't too far.

Rondo/Love/Green is playoffs in east. Plus #6 pick. Plus they are a competent organization with a terrific coach.

Obviously not taken into account is I have no idea what Boston's proposed assets are.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)
It isn't about logic, it is about their history. They have not been able to pull of the "big" move. I would sure be happy if they proved me wrong.

While I share this position, to be fair, they did try in 2010. They made moves to get prepared for the big move. It just didn't work out. I still wonder what happens in 2010 if they had Lee instead of Boozer. Would that have been enough to overcome the Heat?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 05:00 PM)
Zero % chance of Melo to the Heat. It would require Wade to opt out. And why would he do that? He's guaranteed 42 million the next 2 seasons, despite being a bench guy now. He won't get that on the open market. And although unlikely, what if he opts out to resign with the Heat and they offer him substantially less. Manu got 7 million this last year, and that seemed like an overpay. Who played better this year? Who still looks like he's got some gas in the tank?

So now you're asking Lebron to make a bunch less (he'd probably do it given his endorsement money), Bosh to take way less (maybe) and Carmelo to take way less (maybe). All for a team that has Lebron, but still wouldn't have much of a bench.

Exactly plus doing that to Wade after he has been the original Heat member, and, you know, organized their championships is just too low for someone as childish as James.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 10:57 AM)
I absolutely hate this logic, but whatever.

DA, why do you think it'd take a sign and trade?

I think ultimately its too much money for Melo to leave on the table and the Knicks would like something back. I'm not entirely convinced Jackson really wants Melo to stay. By the time they are good again, unless they can land LeBron, Melo is going to be a little long in the tooth.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 05:02 PM)
While I share this position, to be fair, they did try in 2010. They made moves to get prepared for the big move. It just didn't work out. I still wonder what happens in 2010 if they had Lee instead of Boozer. Would that have been enough to overcome the Heat?

Apparently their presentation to Lebron has become an ongoing joke and was basically a powerpoint.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 05:04 PM)
I think ultimately its too much money for Melo to leave on the table and the Knicks would like something back. I'm not entirely convinced Jackson really wants Melo to stay. By the time they are good again, unless they can land LeBron, Melo is going to be a little long in the tooth.

They have a ton of money next year. That was the issue, they were asking Melo to wait for help in 2015-16.

I am kind of convinced too that the Knicks will not do him any favors. They hired Phil because they thought they'd get the recruiting efforts for stars like Pat Riley. If his first move is to lose their only star that would be a huge blow.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 11:05 AM)
Apparently their presentation to Lebron has become an ongoing joke and was basically a powerpoint.

I turned into Boers and Bernstein and they were talking about this I think. According to his people, they were saying how impressed Lebrons camp was with the presentation and they need do the same for Melo. I turned into the middle of it but I'm pretty sure that was the gist of it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)

I guess I just don't understand what they could have done differently. If all this falls on the fact they didn't get Lebron to play here then that's silly. Those guys had a plan and there was nothing the Bulls could have done about it. They then got the next best FA and proceeded to be one of the "winningest" teams in the NBA. No they didn't win a title with said team but that's because their star player has been made of pyrek. We never got to see how far the team they assembled could have really gone.

What other big moves have they missed out on?

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 11:11 AM)
I guess I just don't understand what they could have done differently. If all this falls on the fact they didn't get Lebron to play here then that's silly. Those guys had a plan and there was nothing the Bulls could have done about it. They then got the next best FA and proceeded to be one of the "winningest" teams in the NBA. No they didn't win a title with said team but that's because their star player has been made of pyrek. We never got to see how far the team they assembled could have really gone.

What other big moves have they missed out on?

They have missed out on every single big move over the last 10-15 years. It is easier to say which ones they hit on.

Draft Rose.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 11:05 AM)

I know one rumor was Reinsdorf brought out his box of 6 championships rings and put them on the table and basically said, let's do this. What more did he need? Really that's a part of my hate for Lebron. Dude's ego needs to be jerked off 24/7.