NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 11:53 AM)
I generally agree with you because the Heat are f'ing ridiculous. Still, if Rose can legitimately hit from long range and Butler (and the rest of the team) can keep it up, it's going to be a lot more difficult to guard the Bulls. It will all depend on health though too.

I think Miami would win a 7 game series about 75% of the time against the Bulls. Upgrade it to 80% if it makes you feel better. I just don't think you would be able to say, absolutely, that the Heat would win.

I am curious about this too. I know he shot well in the preseason, but pretty much every three I saw him take was WIDE open. He wasn't even getting guys running at him.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 01:13 PM)
Since 1999, the defending champions are 11-3 in their first home game of the next season.

It feels like it's been a new trend to schedule a tough opponent for that first game. Maybe that's poor memory on my part though.

It's like the 1990-91 season, a lot like it actually, when Michael Jordan's Bulls were trying to catch the two-time NBA Champion Bad Boy Detroit Pistons, the team that had thrice beaten the Bulls in the playoffs on the way to those titles. And those Bulls, with Jordan leading the way, had to go through the Pistons the same way these Bulls, with Rose leading the way, have to go through Miami. Slaying the dragon that torments you is usually the only way to glory in the NBA and it is no different for these Bulls.

Taking down a sitting champion requires, yes, a wonderful team. But of even greater importance it demands a supremely skilled, relentlessly driven -- if not outright ruthless -- player in his physical prime who (usually) has suffered enough indignity in his basketball life to play with utter defiance from November through June, to attack the season as if it's a prize fight.

And what we're looking to see, beginning Tuesday night in Miami, is whether Rose, his body up to the task once again, is that player.

All we can see thus far, through 18 months of coming back from the knee injury and eight undefeated preseason games, is that Rose -- at 25 years old -- is so very different than he was at 23. You can see it and hear it in a 20-minute on-the-record conversation Sunday at the Berto Center.

When I asked Rose to tell me once and for all if he made the right decision to sit out the entire 2012-13 season, if he made the right call to turn a deaf ear to the critics who mocked him last spring because he didn't change course and ride to the rescue during the playoffs, Rose answered with absolute certainty that it's "the smartest decision I ever made."

Of all the things we talked about, the most impressive thing Rose said, in my opinion, was that he played his first four NBA seasons primarily off talent. He didn't stretch, didn't watch his diet, didn't obsess over his conditioning.

But he does now … all of the above … fanatically.

More from this fantastic piece here.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 01:07 PM)
So are the Bobcats going to continue to be so bad that the Bulls will continue waiting forever for that draft pick?

If I'm not mistaken (and I could be, just going from memory), in 2014 it's only top ten protected, 2015 is top 8 protected and 2016 is unprotected. So we will probably be waiting until 2016 to use that pick.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 11:25 AM)
It's like the 1990-91 season, a lot like it actually, when Michael Jordan's Bulls were trying to catch the two-time NBA Champion Bad Boy Detroit Pistons, the team that had thrice beaten the Bulls in the playoffs on the way to those titles. And those Bulls, with Jordan leading the way, had to go through the Pistons the same way these Bulls, with Rose leading the way, have to go through Miami. Slaying the dragon that torments you is usually the only way to glory in the NBA and it is no different for these Bulls.

Taking down a sitting champion requires, yes, a wonderful team. But of even greater importance it demands a supremely skilled, relentlessly driven -- if not outright ruthless -- player in his physical prime who (usually) has suffered enough indignity in his basketball life to play with utter defiance from November through June, to attack the season as if it's a prize fight.

And what we're looking to see, beginning Tuesday night in Miami, is whether Rose, his body up to the task once again, is that player.

All we can see thus far, through 18 months of coming back from the knee injury and eight undefeated preseason games, is that Rose -- at 25 years old -- is so very different than he was at 23. You can see it and hear it in a 20-minute on-the-record conversation Sunday at the Berto Center.

When I asked Rose to tell me once and for all if he made the right decision to sit out the entire 2012-13 season, if he made the right call to turn a deaf ear to the critics who mocked him last spring because he didn't change course and ride to the rescue during the playoffs, Rose answered with absolute certainty that it's "the smartest decision I ever made."

Of all the things we talked about, the most impressive thing Rose said, in my opinion, was that he played his first four NBA seasons primarily off talent. He didn't stretch, didn't watch his diet, didn't obsess over his conditioning.

I actually view this more closely to the '89-'90 season.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 12:25 PM)

Fantastic? That was fluff. Rose ain't Jordan. Who the hell is supposed to be Pippen? Don't say it. The Pistons by '91 were old and busted. We're dealing with 28-year old LeBron now. Big difference.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 01:25 PM)

The biggest difference is instead of having the best player on the planet, the Bulls are now chasing the team with the best player on the planet.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 11:40 AM)
lol, the grand revisionist

I really do think he has a point...I see this much more like 89-90...we had lost twice to the Pistons already and really thought this was the time we would get them. Isiah was 28, Dumars 26, Rodman 28, but most of the others were on the wrong side of 30. We lost the series 4-3 because no one could win a road game. I remember slamming my wrist against the ground and almost breaking it out of frustration, this, at the age of 13.

We got so close but just were not there yet. Needed one more year.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 01:50 PM)
I really do think he has a point...I see this much more like 89-90...we had lost twice to the Pistons already and really thought this was the time we would get them. Isiah was 28, Dumars 26, Rodman 28, but most of the others were on the wrong side of 30. We lost the series 4-3 because no one could win a road game. I remember slamming my wrist against the ground and almost breaking it out of frustration, this, at the age of 13.

We got so close but just were not there yet. Needed one more year.

I understand that, but Steve is just reminded of 90-91, he never said it was an exact scenario. And lets be honest, outside of Lebron, you look at the Heat and see either old, or replaceable players. Wade is no spring chicken, and Bosh hasnt been the same since he decided to be third wheel. Lebron most likely will put the team on his back like he always does, i dont doubt that.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 11:55 AM)
I understand that, but Steve is just reminded of 90-91, he never said it was an exact scenario. And lets be honest, outside of Lebron, you look at the Heat and see either old, or replaceable players. Wade is no spring chicken, and Bosh hasnt been the same since he decided to be third wheel. Lebron most likely will put the team on his back like he always does, i dont doubt that.

Hah, it's actually Michael Wilbon who is reminded of 90-91.

Steve was just a fan of the article :)

My predictions:

1. Bulls

2. Heat

3. Pacers

4. Nets

5. Knicks

6. Wizards

7. Cavs

8. Pistons

Bulls over Pistons

Heat over Cavs

Pacers over Wizards

Nets over Knicks

Bulls over Nets

Heat over Pacers

Bulls over Heat

1. Thunder

2. Clippers

3. Rockets

4. Spurs

5. Warriors

6. Hornets

7. Grizzlies

8. Wolves

Thunder over Wolves

Clippers over Grizzlies

Rockets over Hornets

Spurs over Warriors

Thunder over Spurs

Rockets over Clippers

Thunder over Rockets

Bulls over Thunder

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 01:46 PM)
The biggest difference is instead of having the best player on the planet, the Bulls are now chasing the team with the best player on the planet.

That Pistons team had a 27 year old Joe Dumars, a 29 year old Isiah Thomas, a 29 year old Dennis Rodman, a 31 year old Mark Aguirre, and a 33 year old Bill Laimbeer (among others). The Heat have a 29 year old LeBron, a 29 year old Bosh, and a 32 year old Wade (let alone the age of guys like Allen, Anderson, and Battier). Cole, Chalmers, Beasley, and Oden (allegedly) are the only other players on their roster under the age of 30. You are going to try and convince me that that team isn't getting old?

Your Nets are even older than that.

It would be nice if Thibs would limit their minutes over the course of the season, but the only players OVER the age of 30 on the Bulls are Carlos Boozer, Mike Dunleavy, Kirk Hinrich, Mike James, and Nazr Mohammad. Other than Booz, you aren't counting on any of those guys for more than 15-20 minutes a night, and that's in the most extreme of circumstances.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 12:06 PM)
That Pistons team had a 27 year old Joe Dumars, a 29 year old Isiah Thomas, a 29 year old Dennis Rodman, a 31 year old Mark Aguirre, and a 33 year old Bill Laimbeer (among others). The Heat have a 29 year old LeBron, a 29 year old Bosh, and a 32 year old Wade (let alone the age of guys like Allen, Anderson, and Battier). Cole, Chalmers, Beasley, and Oden (allegedly) are the only other players on their roster under the age of 30. You are going to try and convince me that that team isn't getting old?

It would be nice if Thibs would limit their minutes over the course of the season, but the only players OVER the age of 30 on the Bulls are Carlos Boozer, Mike Dunleavy, Kirk Hinrich, Mike James, and Nazr Mohammad. Other than Booz, you aren't counting on any of those guys for more than 15-20 minutes a night, and that's in the most extreme of circumstances.

Those Pistons/Bulls series were all-out wars, too...they make these Heat-Bulls series seem like practices...which probably exposed the Pistons' age a bit more than will be the case with the Heat.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 01:06 PM)

Being under 30 hasn't kept Deng/Noah from being injured every year. The age of the Heat role players is less relevant because of LeBron. They've got defined roles and aren't asked to do more than they're capable of because of LeBron. The Bulls would need at least two guys other than Rose to play the best basketball of their careers to beat the Heat.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 02:06 PM)

I'm not worried about the Nets at all. Personally I saw the Bulls overtaking the Pistons as destiny, as the Pistons weren't nearly as skilled of a as the Bulls teams, and they didn't have the best player on the planet. Those Bulls also had a much better supporting cast for the era, than the Bulls have today. This Bulls team has no go-to offensive talent outside of Rose. Last year their 3rd string PG was their most dangerous scorer after their 1st string guy sat the year out.

If you want a comp, I see this Bulls team as more of the bulldog tough defensive team that the old Pistons team were, versus the MJ era Bulls team. I think the Heat profile much closer to the MJ era Bulls than the Rose era Bulls.