6/27 Games

flavum

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 05:44 PM)
Ravelo having a nice year. He'd rank 7th in OPS in the Carolina League if he qualified, despite only having 1 HR on the season.

It's too bad he's at 1B now. As a 21 year old 3B those numbers would look pretty damn good.

Ravelo can't be considered a legit 1B prospect unless he can hit a minimum of 15 homers.

MINIMUM.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 07:33 PM)
Ravelo can't be considered a legit 1B prospect unless he can hit a minimum of 15 homers.

MINIMUM.

I agree with this, but he's still got some time. At least he's hit a good amount of doubles, plus his plate discipline is promising. He's nowhere near a top 10 prospect, but he's more interesting than a lot of the garbage in our system.

Saw a video of Anderson running to first, stealing second. He appears to have very good speed, though I didn't stop-watch it or anything.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 07:33 PM)

MINIMUM.

*sigh*

What is with you and magic lines? 15 he is, 14 he isn't? .270 he is, .268 he isn't? It really isn't that absolute. This is especially ridiculous when you look at home run numbers in the minors, which need to take into account ballparks and other factors. And 15 home runs in A+ or A ball is actually an unusually high number, outside of the California League.

Ravelo is a legitimate prospect, by my definition at least - just not as highly ranked, or with as good a chance, as he had if he could have stuck at 3B defensively. He, he obviously needs to add power at SOME point to make a case to be a major league 1B. But he's slugging .461 despite having only one home run - because he has 14 doubles in about 160 PA, which puts him around a rate of near 60 doubles on a full season. That is a very high rate, and when you are talking about a 21 year old in Advanced A ball with strong plate discipline (K rate around 13% and nearly as many walks as K's), there are good indications there that the power could come.

He's still a guy in the Top 25 in the system, to me - at the low end of it now, but still there.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 08:39 AM)
Saw a video of Anderson running to first, stealing second. He appears to have very good speed, though I didn't stop-watch it or anything.

*sigh*

What is with you and magic lines? 15 he is, 14 he isn't? .270 he is, .268 he isn't? It really isn't that absolute. This is especially ridiculous when you look at home run numbers in the minors, which need to take into account ballparks and other factors. And 15 home runs in A+ or A ball is actually an unusually high number, outside of the California League.

Ravelo is a legitimate prospect, by my definition at least - just not as highly ranked, or with as good a chance, as he had if he could have stuck at 3B defensively. He, he obviously needs to add power at SOME point to make a case to be a major league 1B. But he's slugging .461 despite having only one home run - because he has 14 doubles in about 160 PA, which puts him around a rate of near 60 doubles on a full season. That is a very high rate, and when you are talking about a 21 year old in Advanced A ball with strong plate discipline (K rate around 13% and nearly as many walks as K's), there are good indications there that the power could come.

He's still a guy in the Top 25 in the system, to me - at the low end of it now, but still there.

I think this is spot-on. There is obviously some HR threshold for a 1B, but as you mentioned Ravelo is only 21. He doesn't need to hit 15 HRs right now to be considered a top 25 prospect. He does need to develop some power as he moves up the system though if he wants to retain that rank or make the top 10.

Yeah, I've been around here for all the David Cooks and CJ Retherfords.

If it's not Wilkins, it's Dan Black, or Earley, or some random guy who puts up pretty good stats.

Using statistical analysis is ONE tool, but not the be all, end all, when discussing minor league prospects and their projectability at the major league level.

If nobody in the organization believes he'll develop that power, it doesn't matter what statistic you throw out there.

Why do you think they gave up so quickly on Ryan Sweeney, for example?

And yes, I think .270 is a pretty good number to use as a barometer for Trayce Thompson's batting average. Obviously, .268 vs. .270 doesn't matter, or 14 vs. 15, but if you really believe Ravelo's going to hit more than 5 homers this year, more power to you. Do you want to make a bet?

It's one out of about 10 other indicators you could look at, however.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 01:45 PM)
Yeah, I've been around here for all the David Cooks and CJ Retherfords.

If it's not Wilkins, it's Dan Black, or Earley, or some random guy who puts up pretty good stats.

Using statistical analysis is ONE tool, but not the be all, end all, when discussing minor league prospects and their projectability at the major league level.

If nobody in the organization believes he'll develop that power, it doesn't matter what statistic you throw out there.

Why do you think they gave up so quickly on Ryan Sweeney, for example?

And yes, I think .270 is a pretty good number to use as a barometer for Trayce Thompson's batting average. Obviously, .268 vs. .270 doesn't matter, or 14 vs. 15, but if you really believe Ravelo's going to hit more than 5 homers this year, more power to you. Do you want to make a bet?

It's one out of about 10 other indicators you could look at, however.

9th Round pick out of college

UDFA out of college

5th Round out of college

14th Round out of college

29th Round out of college

Ravelo: 6th Round out of High School

One of these things is not like the other. Not sure why you're bringing in players that are completely irrelevant to Ravelo into this conversation. Ravelo was a high(ish) draft pick out of high school and missed half a season last year to deal with an unspecified personal/family issue. He is not comparable at all to anyone you just brought up.

Ravelo is young and has time to develop some power. He's absolutely a prospect in this system and he's absolutely worth keeping an eye on. He does need to develop more power over time if he is to succeed at the position they have him at currently, but whether he does or not remains to be seen. Writing him off because of the failures of players that have nothing to do with him is absurd.