Your Realistic 2014 Lineup

Dunt

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 12:23 PM)
He put up a 3.56 era in te Cell in 150 innings and that's with being jerked from the pen to the rotation for 2 years and tiring at the end. For guys with 100+ innings that puts him 64th out of 150+ pitchers. He had a similar ERa to Cole Hamels and slightly worse than Verlander who pitches in an easier ballpark. If he's a teams number 4 starter then they've got a great shot at a World Series because that team has 4 #1-2 starters. He was a solid number 3 this year and that's only because of the bullpen/innings bullplop we do.

If he only has te value of a number 4 starter then trading him is crazy because he's already better than that.

Everything wite said + remember that part of a season pitching in relief actually tends to drag your ERA downward. His FIP/xFIP were both well over four, and his HR/FB was rather low for a guy pitching at the Cell, and we haven't seen nearly enough of Hector to expect that he has the exceptionally rare skill to suppress homeruns on fly balls.

When you look past the ERA, you see a much different pitcher, and any team that wants to acquire Hector will be doing just that.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 02:06 AM)
Fathom, if Gillaspie is our 3B next year, I predict 99 losses again. Got to get major leaguer regulars on the field.

Gillaspie was more valuable a player this year than regulars Dunn, Konerko, Viciedo, Keppinger, Flowers, and Phegley.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 11:44 AM)
We could well see an Edwin Jackson type of career from Santiago. Frustrating flashes of absolute dominance mixed in with irritating 110 pitch, 5 walk, 6 strikeout, 2 hit, 4 inning outings, add up into a wide range of years, and get pitching coaches fired.

Except we're not talking a Top 3 draft pick with millions invested in him.

Don Cooper's not going to be fired because of him.

Cooper couldn't work any magic with Francisco Liriano and nobody blinked an eye...the "legend" continued.

I've been a huge Santiago fan from the very beginning, and, if anything, I'm sure he will likely be much more successful with another organization and make us look stupid when we undersell on him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 5, 2013 -> 08:59 PM)
Except we're not talking a Top 3 draft pick with millions invested in him.

Don Cooper's not going to be fired because of him.

Cooper couldn't work any magic with Francisco Liriano and nobody blinked an eye...the "legend" continued.

I've been a huge Santiago fan from the very beginning, and, if anything, I'm sure he will likely be much more successful with another organization and make us look stupid when we undersell on him.

lol.

cf De Aza

2b beckham

1b Abreu

rf Garcia

ss Peralta

lf vicideo

dh konerko/phegley/mccan

c/dh mccan or navarro or AJ Pierzynski free agent

3b keppinger

sp sale

sp santiago

sp danks

sp e johnson

sp rienzo

rp lindstrom/jones/purcey/petricka/webb/crain closer reed

Sign Abreau as free agent #1 priority, Sign Peralta as Free agent #2 (16 less errors than ramirez, .300 batting average), Sign Brian Mccan or Dioneer Navarro for C, Package Dunn/Ramirez/Quintanna and trade for any type prospects. Losing Dunn/Ramirez poor fielding and offense will offset having a replaceable Quintanna. Not sure how bench should shake up but really need platoon at 3b with keppinger and some speed/power as well.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 11:08 AM)
cf De Aza

2b beckham

1b Abreu

rf Garcia

ss Peralta

lf vicideo

dh konerko/phegley/mccan

c/dh mccan or navarro or AJ Pierzynski free agent

3b keppinger

sp sale

sp santiago

sp danks

sp e johnson

sp rienzo

rp lindstrom/jones/purcey/petricka/webb/crain closer reed

Sign Abreau as free agent #1 priority, Sign Peralta as Free agent #2 (16 less errors than ramirez, .300 batting average), Sign Brian Mccan or Dioneer Navarro for C, Package Dunn/Ramirez/Quintanna and trade for any type prospects. Losing Dunn/Ramirez poor fielding and offense will offset having a replaceable Quintanna. Not sure how bench should shake up but really need platoon at 3b with keppinger and some speed/power as well.

Yikes, that's a 100+ loss team right there and perhaps the worst I've seen.

We still have no idea what we have in Garcia, I'm not ready to call him a cleanup hitter. The trade you purpose is just awful since Q alone should get you a major league bat. Yes Peralta committed less errors but he has 0 range so in that regard Lexi>Peralta, he would also be an awful #5 hitter. I

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 11:46 AM)
Yikes, that's a 100+ loss team right there and perhaps the worst I've seen.

We still have no idea what we have in Garcia, I'm not ready to call him a cleanup hitter. The trade you purpose is just awful since Q alone should get you a major league bat. Yes Peralta committed less errors but he has 0 range so in that regard Lexi>Peralta, he would also be an awful #5 hitter. I

100 losses? That's a substantially improved offense, most likely, adding McCann, Abreu, and Peralta. I'm not saying it's realistic, but I don't know how it makes us worse than 2013.

FanGraphs had Alexei Ramirez as the 6th best defensive shortstop in the AL this year. Also from 2010-2013, Alexei Ramirez has had the highest UZR of any SS in the majors.

He got a little clumsy with the ball this year, but he's still the best defensive shortstop the White Sox have

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 11:51 AM)
100 losses? That's a substantially improved offense, most likely, adding McCann, Abreu, and Peralta. I'm not saying it's realistic, but I don't know how it makes us worse than 2013.

Didn't even notice McCann since he had him so far down in the lineup. So scrap the whole 100 lose thing.

The points about the trade and Lexi/Peralta still remain. I'd hate to see Q traded for a prospect unless he's a can't miss prospect, and I'd rather have Lexi. 2 of Peraltas last 7 seasons have been pretty bad, and at least one of those 2 god seasons he was aided by the juice.

The point in trading quintana is to get rid of dunn and ramirez, and bring in some good prospects or a good hitter. Something has to change, the 3/4 konerko/dunn is done and has never worked and we need a fresh start. The current build of this team is stale, boring, and sucks hitting and fielding wise. I can't imagine how much a tight defense would help the pitchers as well.

BTW this is the first season in almost twenty years I didn't goto a sox game. Dump Dunn, bring back Konerko or sign Ibanez only to platoon or pinch hit DH, roll dice and sign Abreu, Peralta, Mccan. The only thing this team has done right since 2005 has been develop young pitching. Everything else has been horrible. Sox need major changes.

2013/2014

1. Alejandro De Aza CF DE AZA

2. Jeff Keppinger 3B 2B BECKHAM

3. Alex Rios RF 1B ABREU

4. Paul Konerko 1B RF GARCIA

5. Adam Dunn DH SS PERALTA

6. Dayan Viciedo LF LF VICIDEO

7. Alexei Ramirez SS DH KONERKO*IBANEZ/MCCAN/PHEGLEY

8. Tyler Flowers C C MCCAN*NAVARRO*AJP/PHEGLEY

9. Gordon Beckham 2B 3B KEPPINGER/GILLESPIE

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 01:34 PM)
The point in trading quintana is to get rid of dunn and ramirez, and bring in some good prospects or a good hitter.

I just think that's a horrible idea. I'm a Dunn supporter, but even if that weren't true and I hated Dunn like some here do I'm not gonna trade Q with Dunn for prospects, esp. considering the fact that Dunn only has a year left on his contract. If you're trading Q it needs to be straight up for a major league hitter.

If the Sox wanted to trade Lexi they can do so on his own without adding one of the better young SPs in the game. Even with his errors Lexi was still one of the best shortstops in the game, as wite said in his post. Sure he had more errors than Peralta but that's only because Peralta doesn't have the range to attempt the harder plays. Peralta is a HUGE downgrade defensively, and without the juice he could be a huge downgrade offensively as well. Lexi alone should get you a C prospect or 2, there's no need to package him with Q.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 05:28 PM)
He's saying if we stay put we aren't competing until then anyways.

Staying put next year could be a way to give the kids additional playing time and decide who to spend money on the next offseason. It could also add 2 years of top draft picks in and save money that could be spent down the road. Dunn might be finally moved to save more, and who knows what else could become available.

That said, I don't think it's the right move with the FA market as it is this year to just "punt" on the year, but several people here have advocated doing so, and even if next year is a lost cause, Chris Sale will still be under contract for 5 more years afterwards.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 04:31 PM)
Staying put next year could be a way to give the kids additional playing time and decide who to spend money on the next offseason. It could also add 2 years of top draft picks in and save money that could be spent down the road. Dunn might be finally moved to save more, and who knows what else could become available.

That said, I don't think it's the right move with the FA market as it is this year to just "punt" on the year, but several people here have advocated doing so, and even if next year is a lost cause, Chris Sale will still be under contract for 5 more years afterwards.

I guess the key is identifying which kids management gives playing time to next year. If the answer isn't "all of them from 2013" then I see no reason not to go out and at least add one more real solid piece to the core. With the new piece added and Avi already here I'd probably be satisfied with the offseason.

We really need a superstar offensive player. It's that simple. Now who the f*** is that??!

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 04:51 PM)
I guess the key is identifying which kids management gives playing time to next year. If the answer isn't "all of them from 2013" then I see no reason not to go out and at least add one more real solid piece to the core. With the new piece added and Avi already here I'd probably be satisfied with the offseason.

We really need a superstar offensive player. It's that simple. Now who the f*** is that??!

Andy Gonzalez

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 05:51 PM)
It's that simple. Now who the f*** is that??!

We have an opening at 1b and there's a Cuban 1b available. I can't get past that. The fit is too good.

If you can fill that spot, then it all becomes up to management about which guys they hold. Do they think Phegley can be legit in his 2nd year or Flowers can be a lot better after surgery? Do they think Beckham can stay healthy and his problems last year were injury only? Do they think Viciedo and Garcia can hit? Do they think De Aza can remember how to run the bases and so on? And what's available in trades that would be better than those guys?

I can make guesses about those but those are the things Rick Hahn has to decide.