Your Realistic 2014 Lineup

Dunt

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 05:15 PM)
That the White Sox are going to give a $200ish million dollar contract to Cano? You can't be serious. That isn't anything like the White Sox.

It will be interesting to see what he ends up getting. After the A-Rod & Pujols deals, I think teams are going to pass on these idiotic 10 year deals. And with the Dodgers out, there's one less team that would actually be willing do something stupid. IMO, he won't reach the $200M mark but who really knows.

QUOTE (daggins @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 06:25 PM)
Since he is asking for 300 mil, and given the money being thrown around the last couple years, i'm guessing he gets 200 at least.

I guess do you really think he'll get more than $25M per for 8 years? Only three contracts have exceeded the $200M threshold and those are A-Rod's last 2 contracts and Pujol's. If Cano was 3 or 4 years younger maybe he could get a 9 or 10 year deal but he's already 31 years old. Given the Dodgers are likely out and the Yankees have somewhat been scarred straight by the luxury tax, I think Cano will have to "settle" for less than 8 years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 05:15 PM)
That the White Sox are going to give a $200ish million dollar contract to Cano? You can't be serious. That isn't anything like the White Sox.

Which kinda saddens me. 25M a year right now would put the Sox salary at what ~95M next year, then ~75M in 2015, ~60M in 2016, ~46M in 2017. (I know these figures will change from year to year but you catch my drift)

If they keep the payroll around 120M a year for the next 8 years I think they can certainly work around 25M a year for Cano.

Will it happen though? Highly doubtful.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (ChiSoxFan05 @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 07:14 PM)
Having Cano and Abreu would increase our attendance by so much- a potential ROY/MVP/CY trio.

Not if the White Sox were still a .500ish team. Then it wouldn't matter. Well, maybe 5-10%. But not enough to make it profitable from a cost-benefit analysis...as 2012 showed, fans didn't 100% support that team because MANY believed the Tigers were too talented.

In the end, the confirmation of that belief has pushed them to try to buy a superstar.

But there's no way they will shell out that kind of money for Cano at his age.

They would be more likely to take a run at Tanaka (although that's doubtful, too). Pitching is the one thing we can do and have done pretty well.

It's defense, baserunning, power/offense and 6th-7th inning bullpen we need the most help with. The White Sox have always been the kind of team that would rather find 8 guys and give them $25 million or ten guys and give them $20 million.

Mostly, they're pretty risk-averse...with a few notable exceptions (Belle, Navarro, David Wells, Ritchie trade, the goal of which was to actually mitigate or control risk). Dunn was/is considered at the time a safe investment at the time as was Nick Swisher. So this Abreu one, along with Borchard and Viciedo, it's one of the very rare occasions when they've gone out on a limb.

You can probably add Rios and Peavy as well...in different ways.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 09:24 PM)
Oh god, I want no part of 5 yrs/$90M for Granderson. I'm glad it's B.S.

Last realistic one I heard was 3/$45 or maybe 4/$48, but I wouldn't go more than 2 years with a club option.

Which he won't be willing to take it other teams will guarantee 3 or 4 or even 5 years.

I would love to see Hahn continue his IFA signings and go hard after Alfredo Despaigne and C yenier bello. We still have plenty of money left and unless we can get McCann I would rather spend the money on high upside power hitting catcher in Bello, and former Cuban league MVP in Despaigne. How incredible would it be if the white sox fielded 4 prominent cuban players?

edit: apparently it isn't alfredo who defected.

Edited by beautox

On the local radio here, they say it's not of question of if, but when, the Reds trade Brandon Phillips. They say he's a pain in the butt in the clubhouse and called Votto out on his contract, but he'd be a very nice upgrade over Beckham. I don't recall if he has the arm, but could he be a possible 3B candidate?

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 08:08 PM)
Which kinda saddens me. 25M a year right now would put the Sox salary at what ~95M next year, then ~75M in 2015, ~60M in 2016, ~46M in 2017. (I know these figures will change from year to year but you catch my drift)

If they keep the payroll around 120M a year for the next 8 years I think they can certainly work around 25M a year for Cano.

Will it happen though? Highly doubtful.

What contract of that size has ever turned out to be a good thing?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 10:05 AM)
What contract of that size has ever turned out to be a good thing?

If it's not gonna be a good thing then why would anyone do it?

Someone's gonna give him that contract and without any really big long term contracts I think the Sox can work around 25M a year.

Sox may have never done it before but were they ever really in the position to do so?

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 11:43 AM)
If it's not gonna be a good thing then why would anyone do it?

Someone's gonna give him that contract and without any really big long term contracts I think the Sox can work around 25M a year.

Sox may have never done it before but were they ever really in the position to do so?

They aren't in a position to do so right now either.

How many players making $25+ million have won a World Series? I can think of 1, and that team was so far over the luxury tax it was unreal.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 11:45 AM)
They aren't in a position to do so right now either.

How many players making $25+ million have won a World Series? I can think of 1, and that team was so far over the luxury tax it was unreal.

There's only been 3 of them in history, Ryan Howard(Who won a WS 2 years before the contract and then got bit by the injury bug), King Felix, and ARod so you can't really pull from that.

And why aren't the Sox really in position to do so?

Like I said in an earlier post, adding Canos 25M this year puts the payroll at 90M. Next year they have Dunns 15M coming off the books, the following year they have Lexi/Keppingers 14M coming of the books, the year after that they have Danks 14 or whatever coming off the books.

If they keep the payroll around 120M every year I think they could absolutely be in the position to field a good team.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 11:59 AM)
There's only been 3 of them in history, Ryan Howard(Who won a WS 2 years before the contract and then got bit by the injury bug), King Felix, and ARod so you can't really pull from that.

And why aren't the Sox really in position to do so?

Like I said in an earlier post, adding Canos 25M this year puts the payroll at 90M. Next year they have Dunns 15M coming off the books, the following year they have Lexi/Keppingers 14M coming of the books, the year after that they have Danks 14 or whatever coming off the books.

If they keep the payroll around 120M every year I think they could absolutely be in the position to field a good team.

OK, $23 million. $20 million. There aren't many.

Spending $25 million on one player essentially means that, for that contract to be fiscally efficient - which is not the same thing as fiscally responsible - that player has to average 5 WAR a season. That means that, over the life of the contract, the player has to pretty much be an All Star every single season. Maybe it's just me, but I look at Robinson Cano and see a guy who is going to turn into a .300/.350/.450, 10 HR, 45 2B type of hitter with worsening defense who will have to move to 1B about 5 or 6 years into that contract. That's a really good hitter still. It's not even close to being worth $25 million.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 11:22 AM)
If the Reds gave us 3-4 million dollars a year for the duration of Phillips contract I would take him.

Phillips has $50 million remaining on his contract, that would leave the White Sox on the hook for $35 million. That's probably more than I'd be willing to pay for him, but I absolutely would not send anything of value along with that trade.