Your Realistic 2014 Lineup

Dunt

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 10:43 PM)
2 year 10 mil+.

Could be a good deal for Cleveland. Especially in this market. Believe it or not he's had a handful of pretty good years.

I know he has, but it's still a risk. Keppinger-like, in a way, except Keppinger played well in 2012.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFan05 @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 10:48 PM)
Aaaaannnnnndddd Josh Johnson to San Diego for 1/8M

Yeah there is a big surprise...Josh Johnson wants to rebuild his value quickly. Apparently we were interested in him as well.

Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 12m

#Astros and #whitesox were among other teams that expressed interest in Josh Johnson before he signed with #padres.

https://twitter.com/jcrasnick

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 11:01 PM)
Very interesting. I would have been very in favor of us bringing him on at 1 year 8 million. Shows Hahn is looking/expecting to trade a SP because I doubt we would have gone with:

1 Sale

2 Qunitana

3 Johnson

4 Danks

5 Hector

6 Johnson

7 Rienzo

Well, chances are one of Johnson and Rienzo would be in the minors. Also, you put Johnson twice.

My bad, Josh and Erik. (edit)

Edited by ChiSoxFan05

I was advocating for Josh Johnson or Ubaldo Jimenez a month or so ago as targets we could acquire and then trade midseason for a couple prospects if they had a solid first half, like the Cubs had done with Feldman and Maholm. Now that I see Roy Oswalt wants to play again this year, I think he could be another candidate.

If we got the cash, and we aren't spending it on any 1 or 2 big names, then I'd like to see us spend that cash on short term FAs to turn in to prospects at midseason.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 01:46 AM)
Josh Johnson had a nice ceiling. Roy Oswalt's ceiling is not sucking.

Last time we saw Roy Oswalt, which was for 32 IP last year, he was very solid. Last time we saw Roy Oswalt fully healthy was 2010, when he was fantastic.

Roy Oswalt hasn't had a bad year in his career, he's just had injured ones.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 11:52 PM)
Last time we saw Roy Oswalt, which was for 32 IP last year, he was very solid. Last time we saw Roy Oswalt fully healthy was 2010, when he was fantastic.

Roy Oswalt hasn't had a bad year in his career, he's just had injured ones.

Roy Oswalt or Grady Sizemore?

If Oswalt was 30, maybe you can blame his struggles solely on injuries. But at the age of 36, you can't just assume a healthy Roy Oswalt will kill it on the mound.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 08:15 AM)
If the Sox were indeed on Johnson, that takes me from... Sox probably trading pitching... to Sox DEFINITELY trading pitching.

Agreed. Makes me also wonder who they will target instead of Johnson now to fill that roster spot. Another low risk, high reward type of guy?

A guy like Scott Baker might be an interesting name even though he hasn't pitched much of the last two years

Edited by Dunt

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 09:15 AM)
If the Sox were indeed on Johnson, that takes me from... Sox probably trading pitching... to Sox DEFINITELY trading pitching.

They could have just had a nominal "couple million dollars in case no one else offers anything to him" offer on the table thinking he's a guy who could be traded at the deadline if healthy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 09:05 AM)
They could have just had a nominal "couple million dollars in case no one else offers anything to him" offer on the table thinking he's a guy who could be traded at the deadline if healthy.

Yeah, I imagine Hahn is involved on a few guys as a "price enforcer" -- that if there's someone way undervalued, we'll be in on him and find a way to fit it all together later.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 09:53 AM)
Roy Oswalt or Grady Sizemore?

If Oswalt was 30, maybe you can blame his struggles solely on injuries. But at the age of 36, you can't just assume a healthy Roy Oswalt will kill it on the mound.

Oswalt didn't have struggles statistically. His only real bad numbers have been IP, because of injuries. I don't expect him to kill it on the mound, but for how cheap he would likely sign, he could be a great candidate to trade by June if he stays healthy for the first few months.

I'd be willing to bet he'd sign a 1 yr/$5M deal, maybe 2 yrs/$8M.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 01:36 PM)
Solid for sure.

Lol.

Makes me wonder where else the Sox check in. Johnson was the guy I wanted but Phil Hughes and Dan Haren could be possibilities. Hughes probably more so than Haren who might get a multi year deal.

I'd bet you just about anything Oswalt doesn't get a two year deal. I don't know where your fandom from him roots from but the guy is already falling off and doesn't necessarily have a workhorse frame. He's 36 and listed at 6' but I'd guess he's probably 5' 9"- 5' 11" and not a big guy by any stretch.

It's quite obvious you haven't look at ANY of Oswalt's recent numbers outside of LOLwins and ERA. This isn't 1960, we have advanced statistics and a better idea of how to evaluate a player. Feel free to modernize your thinking.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 02:27 PM)
It's quite obvious you haven't look at ANY of Oswalt's recent numbers outside of LOLwins and ERA. This isn't 1960, we have advanced statistics and a better idea of how to evaluate a player. Feel free to modernize your thinking.

It's strange because his advanced numbers make him look solid but his old-school numbers make him look like Randy Williams.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 12:24 PM)
Oswalt didn't have struggles statistically. His only real bad numbers have been IP, because of injuries. I don't expect him to kill it on the mound, but for how cheap he would likely sign, he could be a great candidate to trade by June if he stays healthy for the first few months.

I'd be willing to bet he'd sign a 1 yr/$5M deal, maybe 2 yrs/$8M.

The 1.794 Whip wasn't exactly not bad.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 02:47 PM)
Saw him plenty here in CO. He's done, imo.

Baker is a much better idea for me.

That was my impression as well. I don't know anything about his recent injuries, but he is 35 or 36, are those just going to go away? I just can't get the image of the Sox destroying him in 2012 out of my mind. He was pitching BP.

The end result is likely somewhere between those two numbers. His FIP and xFIP were ridiculously good, but it was a small time frame. Meanwhile, the ERA was absolutely atrocious. Over a full season - if he could remain healthy for a full season - I figure he'd be about a 4.25-4.75 ERA pitcher.

As I said, I think it's best if the Sox just stay away from him.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 03:02 PM)
The end result is likely somewhere between those two numbers. His FIP and xFIP were ridiculously good, but it was a small time frame. Meanwhile, the ERA was absolutely atrocious. Over a full season - if he could remain healthy for a full season - I figure he'd be about a 4.25-4.75 ERA pitcher.

As I said, I think it's best if the Sox just stay away from him.

He's a weiner anyway :P

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 04:00 PM)
Even using your 1 year proposal as an example.

Prior to 2012, Oswalt signed a 1 year 5 million contract. During that season he sucked and got injured.

Prior to 2013, oh wait, no one felt inclined to sign him prior to 2013.

During 2013, Oswalt signed a MINOR LEAGUE deal with the Rockies and proceeded to suck ass.

All of that adds up to another 5 million dollar contract or perhaps even a multiyear deal? Your argument is laughable chili.

Sucked ass to a tune of a 9.46 K/9, 2.51 BB/9, 3.76 K/BB, 0.84 HR/9, 3.08 FIP, 3.39 xFIP, a ridiculously unlucky .442 BABIP, all culminating in a 0.9 WAR in only 32 IP, which is tremendous.

BUT OH WAIT, HE HAD A LOSING RECORD AND HE IS 5 FOOT 10 (despite being listed at 6 foot, as if any of that matters anyway). HE HAS NO VALUE.

Stop being so terribly ignorant. No one said he would get a 2 year deal, no one said he'd be anything more than a 5th starter and trade fodder in the summer IF he remained healthy. He is a pretty low risk-medium reward guy at this point.