Your Realistic 2014 Lineup

Dunt

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2013 -> 04:31 PM)
At this point, there is no downside to giving guys like Viciedo and Beckham another year. Their values suck anyway, there really aren't great replacement options. You play them and hope they do something. If they don't you can always non-tender them. Neither player will make a difference in winning a division title next year, so the point is mute.

Yes there is a downside. If Beckham is the s***ty baseball hitter most of us think he is, then get on with it and dump him on some other team. Viciedo ... I could stand seeing him get another season to try to emerge, but Beckham's time has come. Put somebody else at second just for something different. I hope Hahn has some more moves up his sleeve. It's been said before but there's no reason to lose 95 or more games with the pitching staff we have.

Edited by greg775

Lil off topic, but in terms of trading De Aza, I say keep him. has a .742 career OPS vs RHP (.750 off LH surprisingly) and is really an ideal 4th outfielder since he hits both lefties and righties well. He can spell tank against tough righties and eaton against tough lefties. Then again, rick may wanna give jordan and look and trade de aza for a young LH reliever that we desperately need

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 15, 2013 -> 01:58 PM)
Yes there is a downside. If Beckham is the s***ty baseball hitter most of us think he is, then get on with it and dump him on some other team. Viciedo ... I could stand seeing him get another season to try to emerge, but Beckham's time has come. Put somebody else at second just for something different. I hope Hahn has some more moves up his sleeve. It's been said before but there's no reason to lose 95 or more games with the pitching staff we have.

Because the rest of baseball doesn't realize it? No one is going to give you anything for him right now anyway. Your best bet is to play the guy in a year we aren't going to win anything anyway. Same with Dayan. If it happens another year, you non-tender them.

Why would San Diego want De Aza? They have Quentin, Smith, Maybin, Denorfia, Venable, AND Blanks in the outfield already. They have Everth Cabrera at SS and Gyorko at 2B (for now), so Sanchez doesn't make a lot of sense either.

I think it starts with Erik Johnson. You may be able to talk them down to something like Rienzo and Snodgress/Beck. I don't think it's worth it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 04:32 PM)
Why would San Diego want De Aza? They have Quentin, Smith, Maybin, Denorfia, Venable, AND Blanks in the outfield already. They have Everth Cabrera at SS and Gyorko at 2B (for now), so Sanchez doesn't make a lot of sense either.

I think it starts with Erik Johnson. You may be able to talk them down to something like Rienzo and Snodgress/Beck. I don't think it's worth it.

Because I'm hoping rather than expecting. You're right, they don't have much use for De Aza, it's just wishful thinking.

I really think that De Aza will be the next guy to go. And I think it's very likely one of Ramirez/Beckham is moved to open up a spot for Semien now. Let's assume it's Ramirez, we could be looking at something like this next year:

1. Adam Eaton, CF (25)

2. Marcus Semien, SS (23)

3. Avisail Garcia, RF (22)

4. Jose Abreu, 1B (27)

5. Dunn/Konerko, DH

6. Dayan Viciedo, LF (25)

7. Matt Davidson, 3B (23)

8. Insert Catcher Here

9. Gordon Beckham, 2B (27)

Outside of the DH spot, everyone in the lineup is 27 or younger with some potential. If you can get someone like Grandal for catcher, that lineup quickly becomes very interesting. Gotta love what Hahn has added in the past 6 months.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 09:17 PM)
Here's a new problem. IF Keppinger were traded, we'd have to choose between Leury and Gillaspie (with Konerko, Phegley, and JorDanks/De Aza taking up the other spots)

Leury makes a lot more sense as a backup than either of those two. He is able to play short and neither if the others can.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 07:18 PM)
I really think that De Aza will be the next guy to go. And I think it's very likely one of Ramirez/Beckham is moved to open up a spot for Semien now. Let's assume it's Ramirez, we could be looking at something like this next year:

1. Adam Eaton, CF (25)

2. Marcus Semien, SS (23)

3. Avisail Garcia, RF (22)

4. Jose Abreu, 1B (27)

5. Dunn/Konerko, DH

6. Dayan Viciedo, LF (25)

7. Matt Davidson, 3B (23)

8. Insert Catcher Here

9. Gordon Beckham, 2B (27)

Outside of the DH spot, everyone in the lineup is 27 or younger with some potential. If you can get someone like Grandal for catcher, that lineup quickly becomes very interesting. Gotta love what Hahn has added in the past 6 months.

Agreed. Even 2-3 years down the road look at this potential lineup, even without any free agent signings

1. Adam Eaton, CF

2. Tim Anderson, SS

3. Avisail Garcia, RF

4. Jose Abreu, 1B

5. Courtney Hawkins, LF

6. Dayan Viciedo, DH

7. Alex Jackson, C (Taken with 3rd pick this year)

8. Matt Davidson, 3B ( See him as a .230/.240 guy w/ 20HR/80RBIs, which is obviously better than what we have and at 8 in the order, that pop is nice)

9. Marcus Semien, 2B

That's impressive, and if a couple of these guys don't pan out, we can always sign a FA. Really optimistic Rick has done an outstanding job. Has added 4 impact bats since he took over.

QUOTE (professa @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 08:28 PM)
Agreed. Even 2-3 years down the road look at this potential lineup, even without any free agent signings

1. Adam Eaton, CF

2. Tim Anderson, SS

3. Avisail Garcia, RF

4. Jose Abreu, 1B

5. Courtney Hawkins, LF

6. Dayan Viciedo, DH

8. Matt Davidson, 3B ( See him as a .230/.240 guy w/ 20HR/80RBIs, which is obviously better than what we have and at 8 in the order, that pop is nice)

9. Marcus Semien, 2B

That's impressive, and if a couple of these guys don't pan out, we can always sign a FA. Really optimistic Rick has done an outstanding job. Has added 4 impact bats since he took over.

It's incredible. Well said. Tanaka would be tasty.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 09:56 PM)
Those what if lineups never even come close to working out. I'm as happy and excited as anyone but let's not get ahead of ourselves. #captainbuzzkill

This.

And just remember all the love Hahn's getting now. If Davidson breaks with the team, hits .230 or below and is back in Charlotte by summer, that's all going to be hate.

The real goal for the Sox this 2014 season - and so far they are putting themselves in great position to do it - is to enter the 2014-15 offseason without 400 billion question marks everywhere and maybe identify only 2-3 areas where they need to upgrade. If they can do that then we could potentially be looking at a WildCard playoff contender in 2015 & a potential deep postseason contender in 2016 and beyond, with our core still under control and just entering or in the early stages of arbitration.

QUOTE (professa @ Dec 15, 2013 -> 07:24 PM)
De Aza for Sean Marshall could work, especially cuz I doubt Ryan Ludwick will be anything like he was in 2012

The better idea would be to try to trade for another team's equivalent of Snodgress + another smaller piece, get your lefty there, and hope on him as a starter first with the relief option serving as a fallback.

I'd rather sign Matt Thornton again or someone else of that ilk to a 2 year deal if that's what we had to do (Booner get 3/$15, yuck) and use payroll space, hoping that we could get 1 year out of the guy in order to buy the time necessary to develop another lefty in the pen, and then look to trade the guy the next offseason. DeAza should bring in a piece with ceiling, although it'll probably be a reliever if it's close or an A-baller if it's a SP or position player.

QUOTE (professa @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 08:28 PM)

1. Adam Eaton, CF

2. Tim Anderson, SS

3. Avisail Garcia, RF

4. Jose Abreu, 1B

5. Courtney Hawkins, LF

6. Dayan Viciedo, DH

9. Marcus Semien, 2B

If you can't get excited about that as a Sox fan, I'm sure the North side of town has room. It's hard to imagine this team looks this good, that quickly. I don't think any of us could have anticipated Hahn's direction. He has killed it this offseason, whether or not all of these trades pan out. He has taken a broken roster and filled it with promise. It will be an exciting spring to get our first glimpses at our new additions and a great 2014 seeing a young roster compete.

I have said it before, don't underestimate the impact Steverson brings as the new hitting coach. He comes from Oakland who does an amazing job developing young players. I'm stoked for this season, and there is no doubt there are more moves to come, it's a matter of who we trade or for what. Hopefully a catcher, but with the way Hahn's offseason is playing out, predicting and guessing is pointless. We can only sit back, relax, and strap in.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 09:25 PM)
If you can't get excited about that as a Sox fan, I'm sure the North side of town has room. It's hard to imagine this team looks this good, that quickly. I don't think any of us could have anticipated Hahn's direction. He has killed it this offseason, whether or not all of these trades pan out. He has taken a broken roster and filled it with promise. It will be an exciting spring to get our first glimpses at our new additions and a great 2014 seeing a young roster compete.

I have said it before, don't underestimate the impact Steverson brings as the new hitting coach. He comes from Oakland who does an amazing job developing young players. I'm stoked for this season, and there is no doubt there are more moves to come, it's a matter of who we trade or for what. Hopefully a catcher, but with the way Hahn's offseason is playing out, predicting and guessing is pointless. We can only sit back, relax, and strap in.

Just to clarify was agreeing with your post.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 08:56 PM)
Those what if lineups never even come close to working out. I'm as happy and excited as anyone but let's not get ahead of ourselves. #captainbuzzkill

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 09:17 PM)
This.

And just remember all the love Hahn's getting now. If Davidson breaks with the team, hits .230 or below and is back in Charlotte by summer, that's all going to be hate.

The real goal for the Sox this 2014 season - and so far they are putting themselves in great position to do it - is to enter the 2014-15 offseason without 400 billion question marks everywhere and maybe identify only 2-3 areas where they need to upgrade. If they can do that then we could potentially be looking at a WildCard playoff contender in 2015 & a potential deep postseason contender in 2016 and beyond, with our core still under control and just entering or in the early stages of arbitration.

No doubt both of you guys are right, but the key point is we can now enter the 2014 season with a lineup full of talented 22 to 27 year olds, six months ago this wasn't the case. Even if some of the young guys flop, we'll still be in much better shape for 2015 & forward.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 10:20 PM)
While that's definitely a possibility I bet you whoever assumes the closer role can put up Addison like numbers so it's worth the chance.

I agree 100%

Which is why I'm so anti-trade Sale & so forth. You take your shots with pieces like Reed, Santiago, etc. I really like Santiago, I think he can become a #3 if given the opportunity, but we can develop those. We can also develop closers. If Davidson & Eaton bust on us what we have really lost is the time we've had to run them out there on the field to negative results, and we'll have to live with the attendance/marketing/concessions/etc. pitfalls that come with that. But we don't really stop the forward progress of the organization at all.