2013-2014 NHL thread

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 28, 2013 -> 10:19 PM)
Crawford might not be Top 5, but I'm nowhere near ready to say I'm comfortable with Raanta in a big game yet. And that's not his fault. Guy has played about 12 pro games.

He just isn't there yet.

I've liked what I have seen so far, but he is far from ready to be a playoff goalie yet. He needs more reps.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 09:31 PM)
I've liked what I have seen so far, but he is far from ready to be a playoff goalie yet. He needs more reps.

In all honesty, this Crawford injury may work out great for the Hawks. It gives Raanta NHL experience, but more importantly gives Crawford well needed rest and ruined any small chance he had to make the Olympic team. Other than maybe Hossa, Corey is the one guy I didn't want to see in Sochi, because that Cup run probably took a lot out of him. I think the other guys can handle it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 11:14 PM)
In all honesty, this Crawford injury may work out great for the Hawks. It gives Raanta NHL experience, but more importantly gives Crawford well needed rest and ruined any small chance he had to make the Olympic team. Other than maybe Hossa, Corey is the one guy I didn't want to see in Sochi, because that Cup run probably took a lot out of him. I think the other guys can handle it.

Yeah he has never had a true #1 goalie workload. Hopefully this does pay dues going forward. The nice thing about Raanta seeming like a guy who could be an NHL goalie is that it helps make sure that Craw isn't rushed back.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 09:51 AM)
Yeah he has never had a true #1 goalie workload. Hopefully this does pay dues going forward. The nice thing about Raanta seeming like a guy who could be an NHL goalie is that it helps make sure that Craw isn't rushed back.

Definitely nice that Raanta has shown he can probably stick in the NHL. Between the injury, the Olympic break and the confidence Q should now have with subbing Raanta with regularity should leave Crawford well rested and ready for another Cup push.

I still feel puzzled about the Crawford signing. Just seems to go against the grain of our philosophy. We don't need an elite goalie, nor do we need to pay anybody like one. When we signed Raanta, I thought for sure that would preclude an extension for Crow. I'm a bit worried about future cap issues, but I suppose I need to give these guys a lot of benefit of the doubt when it comes to constructing championship teams.