2013-2014 NHL thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 10:37 AM)
Hey, just because something is "new" that doesn't make it only for the bandwagoners.

99% of what McD does it to pander to the bandwagon fans. That was one such move. You're honestly the first die-hard that I've seen that is upset it's coming down.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 11:56 AM)
I really like the name Madhouse on Madison. United is a bulls*** company and they can go f*** themselves.

They kind of have a contract and kind of paid money for it to be called the United Center. Having a giant sign in there encouraging fans and media to call it something else isn't exactly what they were hoping for.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 11:58 AM)
Well, yeah. But then also I can say "As long as they are competing on the UC ice, I don't want to hear s*** about how Chicago stadium was amazing"

I thought it was nice. I reject the idea that traditions were only allowed to start in the 1940s and anything after that is just a fad bandwagon item.

Actually start a tradition that's decent, and I'm fine with it. The tradition of it being called the Madhouse on Madison was across the street. This didn't start a tradition.

Enjoy Tommy Hawks and the Ice Girls, I guess.

Maybe they can bring back "Remember the Roar" in 2060 when the UC is done.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 11:58 AM)
The Chicago Stadium was the Madhouse on Madison. If you went to any games there, the difference is huge. The crowd noise was just deafening.

Close the board, we agree on something.

It's night and day, not only the noise, but the crowd that attends.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 12:00 PM)
I'm not saying that at all. I do believe the sign is meaningless though. The real Madhouse was the Stadium. The UC is the UC. They aren't anywhere close to the same thing. Putting up a sign to pretend they are the same is just silly.

Yup.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 12:27 PM)
That's what I'm saying. it's crap. Did all the fans die in 93? Did people stop cheering during National Anthem when the UC opened? Stadiums change. As long as it's still on Madison and it's where the hawks play they can throw whatever charming allusion the past they want. Any other opinion is just stubborn oldmanisms.

Absolute nonsense.

Edited by IlliniKrush

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 12:57 PM)
Sometimes Krush can get a little carried away with the "bandwagon" jargon. He and I have discussed this - and I'll try to keep it under control moving forward.

It's hard to get carried away with it when you see what the UC has turned into and McDonough is in charge. I mean, it's not that hard.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 12:58 PM)
This. It's still a madhouse on madison and the sign was the s***.

Seriously, I'm absolutely shocked you think this. But we'll agree to disagree.

Either way, it's justified why United wants it down.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 12:27 PM)
That's what I'm saying. it's crap. Did all the fans die in 93? Did people stop cheering during National Anthem when the UC opened? Stadiums change. As long as it's still on Madison and it's where the hawks play they can throw whatever charming allusion the past they want. Any other opinion is just stubborn oldmanisms.

So things can change, but don't allow change. Got it. Makes perfect sense.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 01:04 PM)
It's hard to get carried away with it when you see what the UC has turned into and McDonough is in charge. I mean, it's not that hard.

Seriously, I'm absolutely shocked you think this. But we'll agree to disagree.

Either way, it's justified why United wants it down.

It is the 21st century. Advertising is a part of the game. If it really is United that is behind this, it isn't a big shock that they are worried about getting the most for their money.

Here is the fun part. United paid an estimated $1.8 million a year for 20 years for the right to put their name on the marquee. Guess when that deal was signed? 1994. Today I'd bet the negotiations are starting at least 10 times that amount with companies standing in line to pay it.

My issue was with the presentation of the phrase. It was just so cheesy to have this huge bright sign proclaiming the stadium's nickname. Put up a banner next to Stanley Cup banners or a note at the top of the scoreboard. The large signs across the length of the ice were so forced IMO.

It should be the Madhouse because people call it that, not because the Hawks put up a huge sign saying so.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 01:52 PM)
My issue was with the presentation of the phrase. It was just so cheesy to have this huge bright sign proclaiming the stadium's nickname. Put up a banner next to Stanley Cup banners or a note at the top of the scoreboard. The large signs across the length of the ice were so forced IMO.

It should be the Madhouse because people call it that, not because the Hawks put up a huge sign saying so.

I always thought it was the Madhouse on Madison because people called it that, and then the sign went up acknowledging it.

People are acting like McDonough made up this catchphrase and ran with it. The Chicago Stadium and the UC always have(and had) great crowds, hence the nickname.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 01:00 PM)
99% of what McD does it to pander to the bandwagon fans. That was one such move. You're honestly the first die-hard that I've seen that is upset it's coming down.

The only other true die-hard "with me when it was dark" fans I know - four of them, all love that sign. I think you're in the minority.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 01:24 PM)
It is the 21st century. Advertising is a part of the game. If it really is United that is behind this

It's not. Krush made that up.

Indian-head_std.jpg

UNITED CENTER

actually visible on the television.

They want to put something INTERACTIVE up there to put running advertisements to make more money. C'est la vie, I'm sure it'll scroll and flash MADHOUSE ON MADISON, but those signs were the s*** and I love them. Obviously, WELCOME TO THE MADHOUSE will still be up as far as I can tell.

I don't buy that most people, and even the media, predominantly call it the Madhouse on Madison. Is it a nickname that's used? Yes. But United Center is used a significant majority of the time. There's no way the nickname "Madhouse on Madison" is used often enough to justify United being reasonably upset about it, either.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 02:25 PM)
They want to put something INTERACTIVE up there to put running advertisements to make more money. C'est la vie, I'm sure it'll scroll and flash MADHOUSE ON MADISON, but those signs were the s*** and I love them. Obviously, WELCOME TO THE MADHOUSE will still be up as far as I can tell.

Sorry, but I'm pretty sure that WELCOME TO THE MADHOUSE is getting taken down too. Sounds like it at least in this article.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 02:36 PM)
I don't buy that most people, and even the media, predominantly call it the Madhouse on Madison. Is it a nickname that's used? Yes. But United Center is used a significant majority of the time. There's no way the nickname "Madhouse on Madison" is used often enough to justify United being reasonably upset about it, either.

I call it the "UC". I don't think I have ever called it the Madhouse.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 01:52 PM)

Well this, except that it should have a different name. No one pre-UC calls it the Madhouse.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 02:06 PM)
I always thought it was the Madhouse on Madison because people called it that, and then the sign went up acknowledging it.

People are acting like McDonough made up this catchphrase and ran with it. The Chicago Stadium and the UC always have(and had) great crowds, hence the nickname.

He didn't, he just forced it onto the new venue to pander to them.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 02:23 PM)
The only other true die-hard "with me when it was dark" fans I know - four of them, all love that sign. I think you're in the minority.

I'm not, other message boards I use, blogs, my friends - they thought it was idiotic as well.

Of course, people who weren't there during the Stadium don't have as much as a tie to it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 02:25 PM)
It's not. Krush made that up.

Indian-head_std.jpg

UNITED CENTER

actually visible on the television.

No, Steve, I didn't. But regardless, it's logical. Why would they take it down? Twitter scrolls at the very top that not many people will pay attention too? The ribbon boards already have plenty of scrolls and ads. They have to come up with a reason for it to come down besides "United is pissed" because that will create more backlash.

McD is damn proud of that sign. It can be visible on TV, great, but so is that sign when they go to it. We're live at the Madhouse on Madison" doesn't ring in the offices at United. Nor does all the camera shots/photos during games. Or the 21,000+ that see it inside.

Also, it's pretty much not a madhouse most times. Goals, anthem, sure. Majority of people are there for the 45 seconds spent celebrating a goal and dancing to Chelsea Dagger. At that point, madhouse. It's actually not that loud or a madhouse in there, the majority of the time. Especially if OMG THE HAWKS ARE TRAILING BY A GOAL.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 02:36 PM)

It's not necessarily a majority of the time, but it's way more than enough for people at United to get pissed off about it. I hear it/see it enough that this is justified. There's a lot of money at stake for naming rights, and unlike when the Hawks sucked, the building gets a lot more pub right now so it's more relevant.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 02:59 PM)
No, Steve, I didn't. But regardless, it's logical. Why would they take it down? McD is damn proud of that sign. It can be visible on TV, great, but so is that sign when they go to it. We're live at the Madhouse on Madison" doesn't ring in the offices at United. Nor does all the camera shots/photos during games. Or the 21,000+ that see it inside.

Also, it's pretty much not a madhouse most times. Goals, anthem, sure. Majority of people are there for the 45 seconds spent celebrating a goal and dancing to Chelsea Dagger. At that point, madhouse. It's actually not that loud or a madhouse in there, the majority of the time. Especially if OMG THE HAWKS ARE TRAILING BY A GOAL.

/grumble grumble can't get past the fact that people who weren't there when it was just Captain Hairdo and Stevie Sullivan now buy out games grumblegrumle

We got past this! (i thought)

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 03:03 PM)
/grumble grumble can't get past the fact that people who weren't there when it was just Captain Hairdo and Stevie Sullivan now buy out games grumblegrumle

We got past this! (i thought)

I can get past it, but I can call this for what it is. I can still make observations about the games and the crowd that are true. We dug into why it was there, and who loves it, and why it's shown, and that brought up McD.

Anyway, the sign is a pretty much a lie anyway due to the atmosphere!

In summary:

Madhouse on Madison: Chicago Stadium, RIP.

United Center: Not the Chicago Stadium, come up with something else (?)

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 03:06 PM)
I can get past it, but I can call this for what it is. I can still make observations about the games and the crowd that are true. We dug into why it was there, and who loves it, and why it's shown, and that brought up McD.

Anyway, the sign is a pretty much a lie anyway due to the atmosphere!

In summary:

Madhouse on Madison: Chicago Stadium, RIP.

United Center: Not the Chicago Stadium, come up with something else (?)

I liked the f***ing sign. You don't see that type of s*** in these cookie cutter stadiums.

That plan may have been effective 10 years ago, but with how big and dependable StubHub has become, how many Blackhawks fans will really be deterred by this? This rule will just allow more Preds fans to profit, as opposed to out-of-towners and ticket brokers.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 01:23 PM)
That plan may have been effective 10 years ago, but with how big and dependable StubHub has become, how many Blackhawks fans will really be deterred by this? This rule will just allow more Preds fans to profit, as opposed to out-of-towners and ticket brokers.

Yeah its only through their site. Easy to get second hand tickets, especially before the game since they dont go to their own games.