2013-2014 NHL thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 08:56 AM)
It wasn't. The defense was awful. Anymore turnovers, they could have opened a pizza place.

1st in goals scored, 22nd in goals against.

The top 8 teams in hockey all are in the West, and only two points seperate those teams. Shows how strong the West is, and I think it's becoming obvious they need to change something with the OTL points, not enough seperation in the standings. Personally, I would go 3 points for a regulation win, 2 for a OTW, 1 point for an OTL.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 09:29 AM)

The top 8 teams in hockey all are in the West, and only two points seperate those teams. Shows how strong the West is, and I think it's becoming obvious they need to change something with the OTL points, not enough seperation in the standings. Personally, I would go 3 points for a regulation win, 2 for a OTW, 1 point for an OTL.

I love this idea... have for years. It might stop teams from shutting it down in the last five minutes of a game and the OT to promise themselves at least one point.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 10:29 AM)

Nope.

2 points for a regulation win, 1 point for an OT or shootout win, zero points for a loss of any kind.

I would never reward a loss.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 09:29 AM)

Makes the final weeks of the season all that more interesting. Seeing as home ice and the Presidents Cup mean dick this keeps it interesting and why NHL playoffs from game one until the cup is hoisted are pretty cool.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 04:09 PM)
Nope.

2 points for a regulation win, 1 point for an OT or shootout win, zero points for a loss of any kind.

I would never reward a loss.

No. If you lose in a skills competition, you can't hand a team no points for that. That's garbage. You call it not rewarding a win, I call it not punishing losing a silly skills competition.

You also still have the issue of games not being worth the same amount, which needs to happen.

Either do 3 for a RW, 2/1 split once it gets to overtime, or 3 RW or OT W, 2/1 split if it makes the skills competition.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 04:16 PM)
Makes the final weeks of the season all that more interesting. Seeing as home ice and the Presidents Cup mean dick this keeps it interesting and why NHL playoffs from game one until the cup is hoisted are pretty cool.

The NHL playoffs would still be all of that without the silly scoring system.

Nothing like sitting there, as a bubble team, rooting for games not to go to overtime so it turns into a 3 point game.

Joel Quenneville's Mustache

Lots of news to share:

- Hoss has returned to join his team. Apparently his wife was hospitalized (she was discharged and is ok now) and he hopped a flight from Vancouver to be with her. He was quoted, "You love hockey so much, but family is the most important thing for me, and I'm sure for everybody here."

- Antti Raanta expects to start tomorrow against Calgary.

- Morin has been sent back to Rockford.

- Oduya was not on the ice today (result of a puck he took off his leg last night)

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 10:26 PM)
Good debate tonight. Would you trade Keith for any other D man?

Are we factoring in age, like as in a trade? Or just for this season?

If based on age/potential: Karlsson and Subban. You'd trade Keith for one of them right now without a doubt.

Other guys to consider: Chara, Suter, maybe Weber.

That's probably everyone I'd bring into a discussion.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 28, 2013 -> 12:10 AM)
Are we factoring in age, like as in a trade? Or just for this season?

If based on age/potential: Karlsson and Subban. You'd trade Keith for one of them right now without a doubt.

Other guys to consider: Chara, Suter, maybe Weber.

That's probably everyone I'd bring into a discussion.

No I meant for one season no other variables. Is there anyone you want other than him at this point. I'm a bit biased since I love his game but he's a real elite player.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 28, 2013 -> 12:11 AM)
No I meant for one season no other variables. Is there anyone you want other than him at this point. I'm a bit biased since I love his game but he's a real elite player.

For one season, it'd be hard not to take Chara. Maybe Karlsson.

He's a great player. He's one guy I was right about very early on when a lot of people hated this small guy who seemingly played like the skinny guy in Ice Hockey. You could see he was an extremely great skater at that point, was very quick, relentless and had good instincts. He just needed some experience and a bit of bulk. I mean, the guy scored what Lance Armstrong did in his prime on the fitness test on the bike.