Morel back to Charlotte, Omogrosso optioned

caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 10:20 AM)
BTW, we're currently in position for the 4th draft pick.

If Milwaukee wins and we lose today, 3rd.

Going to be hard to get into that first or second position, though.

Agree, let's get first place and likely second out of our thoughts. Third would be a nice consolation prize though.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 09:20 AM)

I think 2nd is a real possibility. First, unlikely but the way things have been going, who knows? Ugh, what a season!

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 12:34 PM)
This team will end up going on a run at some point, moving our draft pick to around 7-10 just to piss all of you off. This kind of thing often happens after the firesale.

I've had that same thought, but this time, I'd be shocked if the Sox win 70 games.

We still have 13-15 losses coming from the Tigers. And probably another 8 from the Indians.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 12:34 PM)
This team will end up going on a run at some point, moving our draft pick to around 7-10 just to piss all of you off. This kind of thing often happens after the firesale.

Yup, I guarantee that's going to happen. The Sox can't even lose correctly.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 03:20 PM)

Do fans of all horrible teams always talk about falling closer to the top draft pick in baseball? The sport with the most boring, worst draft, biggest crapshoot draft of all sports? My guess is you'd get laughed out of a bar or the Cell if you brought up this topic with most Sox fans. Who gives a frick about the draft? I care more about free agency and putting wins on the board and getting the best possible manager and hitting coaches as soon as possible. Have fun talking about the draft all the way til next June when we take some high school kid who may or may not make the bigs.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 01:31 PM)
Do fans of all horrible teams always talk about falling closer to the top draft pick in baseball? The sport with the most boring, worst draft, biggest crapshoot draft of all sports? My guess is you'd get laughed out of a bar or the Cell if you brought up this topic with most Sox fans. Who gives a frick about the draft? I care more about free agency and putting wins on the board and getting the best possible manager and hitting coaches as soon as possible. Have fun talking about the draft all the way til next June when we take some high school kid who may or may not make the bigs.

Might be a crapshoot, but I'll take a top 3 pick over the 17th pick any day.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 02:31 PM)

You're right, Greg. It's nice to have a really good draft pick, but the other costs of being that bad far outweigh that one reward. And don't get it wrong, the draft pick is the ONLY bonus to being bad. Everything else can be done with good teams or at least "transitional" ones...something like what the Indians have going on, for instance.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 03:41 PM)
You're right, Greg. It's nice to have a really good draft pick, but the other costs of being that bad far outweigh that one reward. And don't get it wrong, the draft pick is the ONLY bonus to being bad. Everything else can be done with good teams or at least "transitional" ones...something like what the Indians have going on, for instance.

Not for long term success though. If the White Sox aren't good, nobody is going. If the Sox don't make the playoffs then I want a top 5 pick in each round. There is no reason to be mediocre. Especially with this fan base. Things I am looking forward to this year: Selling off parts, Erik Johnson starts, Trayce Thompson steadily turning into a prospect, and finishing with a top 4-5 draft pick. That's it. Those of you who are angry because you have to spend your "couch time" watching a horrible team are not thinking about what's best for this franchise at this particular time.

Drafting Jack McDowell, Robin Ventura, Frank Thomas and Alex Fernandez back to back to back to back certainly turned out much better than blowing money on Adam Dunn, Jack Peavy, Albert Belle, Jaime Navarro and a few others I could name.

Other than Beckham (8), those guys were the last Top 10 picks the Sox have had since 1987.

I'll take the second or third pick in the draft (as long as Kenny Williams has no say over the pick) and run with it.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 10:35 PM)
Drafting Jack McDowell, Robin Ventura, Frank Thomas and Alex Fernandez back to back to back to back certainly turned out much better than blowing money on Adam Dunn, Jack Peavy, Albert Belle, Jaime Navarro and a few others I could name.

Other than Beckham (8), those guys were the last Top 10 picks the Sox have had since 1987.

I'll take the second or third pick in the draft (as long as Kenny Williams has no say over the pick) and run with it.

Sale was a pretty nice pick wasn't he? And that he wasn't top ten is a bonus.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 02:31 PM)

Then don't f***ing post. Go talk to the fans at the bar at the cell about how the s*** season is the hitting coach's fault. Go pretend that that free agency can build you a winner by just continually signing the most expensive post-prime RBI monsters to ten year deals. Rejoice at every bad contract because "it's not my money, who cares?!?!" then call into boers & Bernstein and tell them about your ideas.