Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 12:54 PM)
Shouldn't Peavy's value be closer to James Shields' rather than Matt Garza's?

Quite a few people think the Royals should have never included Wil Myers in that deal, so it just depends on whether you are among the group that counts that trade or chalks it up to Dayton Moore being an idiot :)

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 02:54 PM)
Shouldn't Peavy's value be closer to James Shields' rather than Matt Garza's?

Maybe. The Shields deal was a universally accepted overpay though, and Peavy has 3 years and at least 3 DL stints on Big Game James as well.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 03:06 PM)
Maybe. The Shields deal was a universally accepted overpay though, and Peavy has 3 years and at least 3 DL stints on Big Game James as well.

I jsut think that should be closer to what the Sox should seek and ultimately accept than what the packages are for Garza. You get Peavy another season and a draft pick. Garza has missed a lot of time himself recently. They wanted to trade him last season but couldn't.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 02:45 PM)

I don't understand all the love for Eaton. What's his upside? We already have Tekotte if we need good defense with no bat.

Owings, though. Yeah.

That's a joke, right? We're talking about the young OF, not the retired pitcher.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 02:45 PM)
I don't understand all the love for Eaton. What's his upside? We already have Tekotte if we need good defense with no bat.

Owings, though. Yeah.

It might be the .350 batting average over 1300 MiLB ABs....or it could be the .450 OBP. Maybe, rather, it is the .950 OPS. The 46 doubles in AAA might be it....or maybe the love comes from the 38 SB.

Why the love for Adam Eaton? No chance of any of those skills translating to the MLB from AAA ball. No way.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 03:15 PM)
I jsut think that should be closer to what the Sox should seek and ultimately accept than what the packages are for Garza. You get Peavy another season and a draft pick. Garza has missed a lot of time himself recently. They wanted to trade him last season but couldn't.

Yeah -- it's just so tough to compare markets at different times. The value of Garza/Peavy has so much to do with timing and availability. There's a whole different set of teams with a whole different set of season outlooks now versus in the offseason.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 03:22 PM)
It might be the .350 batting average over 1300 MiLB ABs....or it could be the .450 OBP. Maybe, rather, it is the .950 OPS. The 46 doubles in AAA might be it....or maybe the love comes from the 38 SB.

Why the love for Adam Eaton? No chance of any of those skills translating to the MLB from AAA ball. No way.

Lol preach it. This is the only prospect I want. His BB:K makes me want dance

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 03:22 PM)

Neil-deGrasse-Tyson-gif.gif

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 03:52 PM)
Yeah, it's bad that Texas is out as a suitor, but that's one more arm off the market with 9 days until the deadline, so it could be good, especially if the Cubs got a good haul.

well at least now as far as Starting Pitchers go Peavy should be in a class of his own on this market. Do work Rick Hahn lets go.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 03:52 PM)
Great post but AZ isn't moving Eaton. Kubel might be moved out to make room for Eaton.

We'll see how badly they want an ace, then.

Not that we can't work something equitable out without him, lots of good players in high minors for AZ which makes them especially attractive.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 03:49 PM)
Haha, I applaud you for this response.

Lol, I don't know why I felt like I remembered him being a low-ceilinged guy that was surprising people by being rosterable last year, I must have had him mixed up with someone else. I just took a look at his numbers in the minors and was obviously mistaken.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 03:54 PM)
Lol, I don't know why I felt like I remembered him being a low-ceilinged guy that was surprising people by being rosterable last year, I must have had him mixed up with someone else. I just took a look at his numbers in the minors and was obviously mistaken.

I mean, being a little guy seems to put a ceiling on you, but the production in the minors has been remarkable

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 08:59 PM)
Even With Texas off, the only guy who made sense was SS Sardinas. The sox could easily hold onto Alexei and deal Peavy for an OFer or 3b. And fill out other spots with Crain, Rios, et all.

CJ Edwards would have been either our 1st or 2nd best pitching prospect

I'm actually glad Texas is out as a partner. They had a lot of really interesting lower level prospects, but there is a ton of risk in those guys. I think the Sox can get better deals for Peavy from either Arizona or Boston with more MLB ready prospects. Plus, Peavy is officially the top SP on the market now if the trade is official, so it can't hurt his trade value at all.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 03:59 PM)
Even With Texas off, the only guy who made sense was SS Sardinas. The sox could easily hold onto Alexei and deal Peavy for an OFer or 3b. And fill out other spots with Crain, Rios, et all.

Well, I don't know about that. It's likely, for example, that Olt is in this Garza deal, and Odor would have being really useful as well.

But yeah, with Garza gone, Peavy is literally the only front-end pitcher available. Should be a good position to be in now.