Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 01:29 PM)
I think we'd be expecting too much for Adams + Wong. Unless Alexei is involved as well which I highly doubt (too much cash for STL), we aren't getting both Adams and Wong.

Give me Adams and Anthony Garcia for Peavy and I am very happy.

I'm saying Adams isn't a possible get.

If I'm wrong, will happily eat crow pie.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 04:03 PM)
That's dumb. Not saying you are necessarily wrong, but if you are turning down good, solid talent because you don't have a replacement ready on a team that isn't going to win a damn thing, then you are making a critical mistake

I would imagine he isnt turning anything down, probably just slow playing. I imagine he just doesn't want to give another team leverage if it looks like we have a black hole at SS.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 04:22 PM)
If money is an issue with STL, we should pay Peavy's contract and take in more talent. I know it would never happen but to me it is entirely practical. We have more money than we will spend why don't we use it to create young talent.

Ultimately, I think Jaker goes to Boston but I think the FO should do everything in their power to have Matt Adams as our OD first baseman next year. Whatever the cost.

I agree! With the money saved if they trade Jake, they can not manipulate the draft due to the new rules. They can not throw unlimited cash at international players. There is always the risk that the free agents on the market will not want to play for the Sox or be so over priced that the Sox don't feel comfortable signing the player. What they can do is continue to pay Jake and some cash strapped team going for it all could send a load of quality prospects. I think that is the best way to use money to rebuild the Sox quickly.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 09:22 PM)
If money is an issue with STL, we should pay Peavy's contract and take in more talent. I know it would never happen but to me it is entirely practical. We have more money than we will spend why don't we use it to create young talent.

Ultimately, I think Jaker goes to Boston but I think the FO should do everything in their power to have Matt Adams as our OD first baseman next year. Whatever the cost.

And effectively pay a prospect or two 18 million dollars or so? Uh no that would be just horrible.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 04:45 PM)
I agree! With the money saved if they trade Jake, they can not manipulate the draft due to the new rules. They can not throw unlimited cash at international players. There is always the risk that the free agents on the market will not want to play for the Sox or be so over priced that the Sox don't feel comfortable signing the player. What they can do is continue to pay Jake and some cash strapped team going for it all could send a load of quality prospects. I think that is the best way to use money to rebuild the Sox quickly.

Ding, ding, ding. Don't necessarily pick it all up, but pick up a good chunk of these guys salaries and decimate a few farm systems.

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 5m

Any chance the #WhiteSox can include their lip synch Saliva video in one of these deadline deals? #GottaGo

Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

@ImDaBaron 4m

@DanHayesCSN We wouldnt get anything back for that

Expand

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 4m

@ImDaBaron bag of balls

https://twitter.com/DanHayesCSN

Yep thats about right lol

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 04:26 PM)
I mean they should still get a good package of prospects for the Jakester but Ervin being available means he is no longer the only game in town. They may end up not trading him now.

There were always going to be other starters available...but Jake is clearly better...this is a non-factor

Well,

1. This season he has actually been BETTER than Peavy.

2. He is a rental, so this season is what really matters

3. He earns less money this season than Peavy.

All of which combines into "Probably some GMs will think he is more valuable than Peavy" which directly translates to "There will be less offers for Peavy" which directly correlates with "There will be less return for Peavy".

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 05:06 PM)
Well,

1. This season he has actually been BETTER than Peavy.

2. He is a rental, so this season is what really matters

3. He earns less money this season than Peavy.

All of which combines into "Probably some GMs will think he is more valuable than Peavy" which directly translates to "There will be less offers for Peavy" which directly correlates with "There will be less return for Peavy".

Ervin Santana has always been extremely inconsistent.

I would think the return for him might be similar to what we gave up for Liriano.

I mean I am presenting real sky-is-falling scenarios here like some chicken little but that is just nuts. Santana could probably bring like, 2-3 legit prospects in trade. Slightly less than Garza, especially if the Royals kick a mil or so.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 05:15 PM)
I mean I am presenting real sky-is-falling scenarios here like some chicken little but that is just nuts. Santana could probably bring like, 2-3 legit prospects in trade. Slightly less than Garza, especially if the Royals kick a mil or so.

That's just not true

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 07:28 PM)
My biggest fear is that we balk on sending money over and go for C level prospects and money savings. They key here is to maximize this for top tier talent.

We won't do that. We won't send so much money that is as if we are buying prospects for several million apiece, but I think we'll send a fair amount of money if it seems worth it.