Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 05:59 PM)
Heard that as well, was not psyched after hearing that

Law was a scout though, rosenthal is just a reporter. Is law's opinion that peavy is worth more, and gms are going to be listening to people like law, not rosenthal.

Edited by Knackattack

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 09:32 PM)
Are you guys serious? It doesn't matter if Law actually hates the Sox, he's an objective analyst. He's not going out of his way to bash the Sox.

Have you ever heard Law say anything good about anything, or anybody, related to the Sox? Seriously.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 10:00 PM)
Have you ever heard Law say anything good about anything, or anybody, related to the Sox? Seriously.

Of course. Last week when discussing his top prospect list he was giving praise to Erik Johnson despite him not being in his top 50. He really liked the Courtney Hawkins draft pick at the time. Same with Andrew Mitchell this year. He was also on the radio yesterday saying Peavy should garner a bigger return than Garza. People don't like Law because he is a snarky prick most of the time, and thus they think he hates their team. It's not just White Sox fans. It's pretty obnoxious actually.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 09:23 PM)
Was my thought exactly. You've got to read between the lines so often this time of year.

We would have been good lawyers dude.

Exactamundo! My thought the first moment I read the Keith Law comment. That nasty (and generally NON-objective concerning the Sox) Keith Law laying the foundation.

:lol:

And I AM a lawyer (although the "good" label might depend on who you ask)!

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 04:06 AM)
Of course. Last week when discussing his top prospect list he was giving praise to Erik Johnson despite him not being in his top 50. He really liked the Courtney Hawkins draft pick at the time. Same with Andrew Mitchell this year. He was also on the radio yesterday saying Peavy should garner a bigger return than Garza. People don't like Law because he is a snarky prick most of the time, and thus they think he hates their team. It's not just White Sox fans. It's pretty obnoxious actually.

Okay, then we can all find common ground here and say he is awful at his job with regards to the White Sox.

It's not surprising that Law likes Peavy...the Sabre guys like Peavy. See Dave Cameron's analysis. See Oakland's interest (Beane probably checking him out to see if he can get him on the cheap). I have never found Law to be a compelling scout, but he knows his sabre-metrics, for what that's worth.

Peavy's peripherals shake out better than the ERA and other more obvious stats.

Bud Norris' peripherals are terrible, but his ERA is fair.

We need to trade Peavy ASAP. Worried our coaching staff can have another Cain on their hands. Coming off an injury and they let him pitch 118 throws on his second start. Anyone else think Robin Ventura makes some questionable calls on handling Sale, Peavy, Santiago, and Crain this year. Sale is second in the league with throwing over 120 pitches in a game. Santiago is 4th in the league/and he's been going back and forth between starting/bullpen, and the abuse they did in the month of June with Crain knowing he was going to get traded. Come on Robin wake up here.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 06:20 AM)
We need to trade Peavy ASAP. Worried our coaching staff can have another Cain on their hands. Coming off an injury and they let him pitch 118 throws on his second start. Anyone else think Robin Ventura makes some questionable calls on handling Sale, Peavy, Santiago, and Crain this year. Sale is second in the league with throwing over 120 pitches in a game. Santiago is 4th in the league/and he's been going back and forth between starting/bullpen, and the abuse they did in the month of June with Crain knowing he was going to get traded. Come on Robin wake up here.

Peavy had a rib injury, not an arm injury. I don't feel like 118 pitches was too many. Are you trying to say that Sale has the 2nd most number of games with over 120 pitches and Hector has the 4th most? If so, Sale has only reached the 120 pitch mark three times and Santiago once so if you are taking those rankings as meaning anything, that is pretty ridiculous. Sale's average pitch count per start is 109 and Santiago's is 103. If you can't handle those pitch counts you have no business starting.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 06:49 AM)
Peavy had a rib injury, not an arm injury. I don't feel like 118 pitches was too many. Are you trying to say that Sale has the 2nd most number of games with over 120 pitches and Hector has the 4th most? If so, Sale has only reached the 120 pitch mark twice and Santiago once so if you are taking those rankings as meaning anything, that is pretty ridiculous. Sale's average pitch count per start is 109 and Santiago's is 103. If you can't handle those pitch counts you have no business starting.

Name another elite pitcher in the majors that get shuts down for a week or two and has skipped starts throughout the season due weakness in his arm particularly his shoulder. Sale comes off the DL this year and his third start back he throws 126 pitches. Doesn't make sense. The only negative thing about Sale is whether he will stay healthy. Our organization has shown they have concerns with Sale the past 2 years.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 11:20 AM)

the only reason Peavy came out for the 8th (that made any sense) was to get a standing O from the crowd. Rest assured, Jake threw his last pitches as a member of the white sox.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 07:00 AM)
Name another elite pitcher in the majors that get shuts down for a week or two and has skipped starts throughout the season due weakness in his arm particularly his shoulder. Sale comes off the DL this year and his third start back he throws 126 pitches. Doesn't make sense. The only negative thing about Sale is whether he will stay healthy. Our organization has shown they have concerns with Sale the past 2 years.

I agree. Sale has 3 starts over 120 pitches, the most in MLB. The Sox lead MLB in this category. Just more miles on the tires for absolutely no reason. Even if one doesn't think it hurts, it certainly doesn't help. Yet Ventura insists on doing it in a lost season. But Ventura, whose team has the 3rd worst record in MLB, knows better than the other managers in the league.

PItching Peavy to start the 8th probably didn't hurt his value because the other GMs know their manager won't pitch him 118 innings.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 07:00 AM)

Okay, now you're just making things up. 1st - Sale has not been on the DL this year. 2nd - Sale has never thrown 126 pitches in a game in his career. Sale is still only in his 2nd year starting in the big leagues. He will never build up the arm strength to go 200+ innings per year if you coddle him. It's become pretty evident that the White Sox are trying to extend their pitchers out a little more this year. I'm sure this is in the hopes that next year or whenever we contend again that they will have built up the durability to be able to go the distance when we need them. I've got a good feeling that Don Cooper and the White Sox training staff know a hell of a lot more than some random guys on a message board and are doing whatever they think is best to maximize their value out of Chris Sale.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 10:00 PM)

This one is simple and small, but there are several other examples.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">

Here's what he said about recent Sox draft pick Tim Anderson:

"Anderson is one of the few shortstop prospects in this draft who might remain a shortstop in pro ball, with a chance for several plus tools but less polish than you'd like to see in a possible first-rounder. He has a very quick but mostly flat swing, with virtually no load and just some late hip rotation, so he can slap the ball all over but isn't well set up to drive it in any direction. He drifts a little on to his front foot as well, although if he were more rotational that wouldn't be a major obstacle to hitting for at least more doubles power. He's a well above-average runner with quick feet out at shortstop but isn't certain to stay there, as his arm is a little weak for the left side of the infield, and he'll need help with footwork and quickening his transfer."

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/...me/tim-anderson

People constantly rag on him for "hating" Chris Sale and the Sox picking him at 13. Here's what he said about Sale:

"If you like Chris Sale, you see a 6′6″ left-hander with an arm slot close to Randy Johnson’s, a plus fastball and change, and a potential front-line starter. If you’re a skeptic, you see a side-arming lefthander without an average breaking ball and a long arm action that will be tough to repeat 100-plus times an outing. I’m more in the latter camp than the former, and I think Sale’s pro future is reasonably likely to come in the bullpen.

His arm action is ugly, long and complex in the back with a high elbow, and he drifts forward in a crouch more commonly seen on sidearmers and submariners. If I did draft him, I’d see if I could raise his slot just enough to get him better angle on the slider and get him to take advantage of his height. His current delivery, slot, and repertoire make him look a lot like a reliever to me.”

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/430354-...mote-chris-sale

That doesn't sound like a guy who doesn't like the talent (other than the average breaking ball comment, which was wrong...analysts have been wrong before), it sounds like he didn't think he'd make it as a starter.

I really think people get bent out of shape over nothing about Keith Law. It's even funnier when they point out that it was due to the Sirotka trade (made in the 2000-01 offseason), because Law wasn't hired by the Blue Jays until 2002, which was an entirely new regime in Toronto.

He continually called the White Sox one of the worst minor league systems in the league, but has he been proven wrong on that front?

No, I don't think Keith Law is out to bash the White Sox, I think he calls it like he sees it.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 07:03 AM)
Lol..Gammons on Mully & Hanley this morning still rocking the "White Sox want pitching" bulls***.

I REALLY do not understand this logic. I mean sure, take a few pitchers back in trades that have a chance at the rotation, but will stick in the BP worst case. But SOX need to target impact bats, and I am quite certain they understand that.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 07:03 AM)
Lol..Gammons on Mully & Hanley this morning still rocking the "White Sox want pitching" bulls***.

This really wouldn't surprise me. You can never have enough pitching. A team needs to be 7 deep in quality starting pitching to win the WS. If the Six trade Peavy, do the have that? I don't think they trust Satiago's offspeed stuff yet.

I'm not saying pitching is the primary piece of a trade, but they are probably insisting that pitching must be included.

One question I have: are there teams out there who have top-notch position player prospects they'd be willing to trade but aren't interested in Rios or Peavy? If so, getting younger pitching talent in return for them and flipping that talent over for these position players could be an option.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 08:53 AM)
This really wouldn't surprise me. You can never have enough pitching. A team needs to be 7 deep in quality starting pitching to win the WS. If the Six trade Peavy, do the have that? I don't think they trust Satiago's offspeed stuff yet.

I'm not saying pitching is the primary piece of a trade, but they are probably insisting that pitching must be included.

Yep. Surprised this hasn't been stated yet. There is indeed pitching at the major league level, but other than Erik Johnson there really isn't anything of significance as far as starters go. Rienzo is interesting but probably a bullpen arm. Also Hahn might have a preference towards position players here, but if a very highly valued pitching prospect with a high ceiling is on the table you very much consider it. IE Gausman and Baltimore. Gray and Oakland. It might also allow you to flip Quintana or Santiago down the road for more pressing needs.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 08:53 AM)

I don't trust his ability to go 6 innings yet. He has got to get way more efficient with his pitch counts. Sacrifice some K/9 for some early count outs.