Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 04:55 PM)
Remember: Rick Hahn is a shrewd negotiator. Was an agent. Did most of the White Sox's big deals. Tough to get a read on. Playing this well. -- PASSAN

Love this by Passan, one of the true professionals and a guy who doesn't just report what he is told but uses common sense.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 05:00 PM)
Love this by Passan, one of the true professionals and a guy who doesn't just report what he is told but uses common sense.

Agreed his take has been refreshing so far

QUOTE (HeGone7 @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 04:59 PM)
I wouldn't be surprised to see Peavy stay. His performance just doesn't meet the price. End of the day, he has pitched 80 games for the sox since 2010. Not exactly the history you'd like when dealing for an arm at the bounty the Sox are requesting. Factor in his age, his injury history and his contract (which to me isn't that bad but it is still more then a team may want) and you don't exactly "wow" potential buyers.

At the same time, even if you're asking for the moon and not likely to receive it, you still don't just dump him for bodies to put in the minors. There has to be something of value there because Jake can add value to the White Sox. It may be meaningless value this season. Who knows what is in store for next season and beyond, but I just don't think you dump him without something(s) of value.

If money is the hold-up, eat the money. If that is the difference between A and B prospects, you buy those guys.

I don't have the info in front of me but hopefully someone can reference it for us, and that would be where Peavy ranks as a type A or B guy. I'd imagine B, but you never know with that goofy scale.

Right now, I think Hahn may or may not be asking for too much (after all - it is rumors) and at least to me, he doesn't command the respect to be taken serious on things. So I think guys like Beane are willing to call his bluff and see what happens. They're willing to walk away from the deals, but we don't know if Hahn truly is yet. We'll know exactly what kind of GM we have once the deadline hits.

The compensation system was completely revamped with the new CBA. There are no more A's or B's. The White Sox would have to extend a qualifying offer to Peavy in the neighborhood of 13 million. If he didn't accept it they would get a compensatory pick at the end of the 1st round.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 04:53 PM)
#WhiteSox’s desire to get quality return AND have trade partner assume nearly $24M left on Peavy’s contract remains significant obstacle.

Obviously we have no idea what has been offered, what reports are true, etc. but if the sticking point on a Peavy trade is the Sox not picking up some of his salary they are being incredibly short sighted by not doing a deal.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 06:02 PM)
Obviously we have no idea what has been offered, what reports are true, etc. but if the sticking point on a Peavy trade is the Sox not picking up some of his salary they are being incredibly short sighted by not doing a deal.

If that's the issue then it also makes sense for the White Sox to hold out until the bitter end, at the very least tomorrow. If there's a deal on the table the Sox would accept, they can play brinksmanship and see if they can extract several million more dollars out of their trading partner.

No pitcher better than Peavy is going to suddenly appear on the market.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 10:02 PM)

Meh. For this year maybe but zero reason they should include any more money than that.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 06:03 PM)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 2m

Correction: Peavy owed less than $20M. Deferred signing bonus already paid. Problem appears to be more talent coming back to CWS than cash.

Expand

Rosenthal is on the panel for MLB Tonight right now...

May be throwing out info every now & then.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 05:03 PM)
That only works with ass/u/me . There's no E in assumptions :P

Back in ROTC in college you have no idea how much a certain Major send that to people in his office. " You make an ass out of yourself"

That one always stuck with me :lol:

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 04:36 PM)
The Sox could have a rotation with Sale/Peavy/Hector/Danks and have a winning team combining that with massively good FA/scrap heap finds. It's not outside the realm of reality.

It's possible but they have that rotation right now, and they have a horrendously bad team.

But scraps would probably improve this team defensively. To do that they really need to get rid of Rios, Alexei and De Aza or some combination thereof.

Re money, we sent money to Tampa with Crain, so it doesn't exactly sound like that's the sticking point. We just don't want Oakland's scraps.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 05:07 PM)
These negotiations are important going forward. Could set an impression for how Hahn is viewed around the league.

Agreed. As far as how if Hahn is doing a good job or not in these talks judge him on the return he gets.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 05:08 PM)
Good news is we should have answers soon. If Peavy is on the mound tomorrow then Rick wasnt fooling around.

It also means we'll trade him for less than we would than does he not take the mound, which is what I'm concerned about.

They need to build around Sale, Quintana and Santiago, not Jake Peavy.

Peter Gammons ‏@pgammo 50s

Arizona has been shopping Ian Kennedy and Jason Kubel, which wouldn't free enough $ to get Kevin Towers' fave Jake Peavy

Expand

Er, maybe Gammons means would free enough money?

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 06:23 PM)

Arizona has been shopping Ian Kennedy and Jason Kubel, which wouldn't free enough $ to get Kevin Towers' fave Jake Peavy

Expand

Hmmmm....

Gotta think he means WOULD, but with Gammons who knows.

Would love if Zona made a strong push.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 05:29 PM)
ESPN's Buster Olney was talking up his sleeve last night.

Olney was just saying they seemed the most motivated -- the fact that they're out doesn't mean they aren't motivated, could just mean Hahn won't budge on Addison Russell.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 04:23 PM)

Expand

Salary dump since they're both FAs after the season...throw in Chris Owings and another spec and you got a deal.

They need to dump one of their OF anyway (and kubel most likely) since none of them (a rotation of 5 guys) can't get any rhythm.