Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 07:58 PM)
I think what we're seeing is that Kennedy can turn into some caliber of prospect(s) for the D'Backs so they don't want to just throw him into a deal for us when they can get actual value for him from someone else. In this case, they're going to turn that value into something we want (prospects)

But he won't bring the value of prospects we want.

And then Arizona is unlikely to send us the prospects we want, because their cost is reduced by the value of Kennedy.

So this three way trade sounds like we'll get mediocre prospects from the Angels and Arizona.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 08:28 PM)
But he won't bring the value of prospects we want.

And then Arizona is unlikely to send us the prospects we want, because their cost is reduced by the value of Kennedy.

So this three way trade sounds like we'll get mediocre prospects from the Angels and Arizona.

I'm not following your logic at all.

1. Moving Kennedy frees up the money to get Peavy

2. We weren't going to allow Kennedy to make up any part of the deal except a throw-in.

3. They knew he had value that is higher than zero.

4. They bring in Angels who will give them this greater than zero value.

5. Since it is a three-way trade, they are apparently going to send all or part of the haul from the Angels to us

6. We also get what we wanted in the first place (Owings, Davidson, Holmberg, whomever)

Edited by Jake

Phil Rogers ‏@ChiTribRogers 2m

Reports of 3-tm White Sox-AZ-LAA trade are intriguing. Diamondbacks' Adam Eaton, Angels' Peter Bourjos among good targets for Rick Hahn.

If the D'Backs/Sox could turn Ian Kennedy into Peter Bourjos, that would be highway robbery

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 08:32 PM)
I'm not following your logic at all.

1. Moving Kennedy frees up the money to get Peavy

2. We weren't going to allow Kennedy to make up any part of the deal except a throw-in.

3. They knew he had value that is higher than zero.

4. They bring in Angels who will give them this greater than zero value.

5. Since it is a three-way trade, they are apparently going to send all or part of the haul from the Angels to us

6. We also get what we wanted in the first place (Owings, Davidson, Holmberg, whomever)

The "haul" from the Angels will be B and C prospects. That's what Kennedy is worth. Also note that Angels farm is not strong.

The haul from Arizona will be reduced by the value they lost because they lost Kennedy. Maybe they send us only 1 top prospect and the rest of the return will be from the Angels, but I'll believe it when I see it. Also note that we will be paying no money, which also would likely mean lesser prospects. This sounds like a Peavy for Homberg deal, but we'll see.

I'd also like to see some movement on the Rios/Alexei front. We can't have another season with them and Keppinger and the rest.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 08:41 PM)
The "haul" from the Angels will be B and C prospects. That's what Kennedy is worth. Also note that Angels farm is not strong.

The haul from Arizona will be reduced by the value they lost because they lost Kennedy. Maybe they send us only 1 top prospect and the rest of the return will be from the Angels, but I'll believe it when I see it, because the net result of this is that we are paying no money, which also would mean lesser prospects.

I don't think the Kennedy trade affects the total value going to us other than it enables the trade to happen in the first place. I do assume that these lesser prospect(s) from Angels will go to us though

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 08:41 PM)

The haul from Arizona will be reduced by the value they lost because they lost Kennedy. Maybe they send us only 1 top prospect and the rest of the return will be from the Angels, but I'll believe it when I see it, because the net result of this is that we are paying no money, which also would mean lesser prospects.

Who cares, even if Peavy stays for next year this team is still going to be bad.. get what you can for him.. its better than 12 worthless wins on a 70-75 win team

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 05:41 PM)

The haul from Arizona will be reduced by the value they lost because they lost Kennedy. Maybe they send us only 1 top prospect and the rest of the return will be from the Angels, but I'll believe it when I see it. Also note that we will be paying no money, which also would likely mean lesser prospects. This sounds like a Peavy for Homberg deal, but we'll see.

What are you talking about? How does them trading Kennedy lower the value that WE get. The point of them trading him is that they don't want to pay him next year.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 08:40 PM)
Phil Rogers ‏@ChiTribRogers 2m

Reports of 3-tm White Sox-AZ-LAA trade are intriguing. Diamondbacks' Adam Eaton, Angels' Peter Bourjos among good targets for Rick Hahn.

If the D'Backs/Sox could turn Ian Kennedy into Peter Bourjos, that would be highway robbery

I would obviously prefer Eaton in CF, but Bourjos wouldn't be a bad consolation price. I don't think he will ever be a great hitter, might be able to turn out a few solid offensive seasons because of his speed, but he provides a whole lot of value with his speed, baseball IQ, and phenomenal defense. Him in CF at the cell, there would be a lot less flyballs landing between left center and right center.

Also, I think a Bourjos for Kennedy trade isn't bad at all. Sure Kennedy has had a rough year thus far, but he has been money for the past three years, and his struggles this year appears to haven't had anything to do with his stuff.