Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 10:23 PM)
I do not like Avisail Garcia. Just want to say that. He can prove me wrong, but everything about him seems like classic value driving. Never put up good numbers in the minors over an extended period of time.

You and me both. Crossing my fingers the rest of the players involved are of worth.

Poster at MotownTigers nailed it:

White Sox dumped Peavy and his contract for Avisail Garcia

Red Sox are a playoff team that just added a solid starter for a struggling middle infielder

Tigers added the struggling middle infielder and traded one of their better prospects to a division rival

Hard time seeing the silver lining here

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 10:20 PM)
Overreaction much? Garcia is definitely the opposite of every other OF we have drafted over the past several years. He shows a really good feel for hitting, however he likes to hit to much and needs to work on being more patient. He's no Mitchell/Hawkins type who has all the raw talent in the world, but a lack of a feel for hitting and major flaws in their swings that cause a K rate up over 30%

All his K rates are 20-25% and all his walk rates are 3-4%. The biggest reason he's not like Hawkins is because he hasn't shown any power.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 10:24 PM)
Detroit getting beaten like a red headed stepchild in this deal

Definitely a Peralta panic move, Dombrowski had to see Garcia as wholly expendable. Just seems so out of character for them and odd for the team with the best run differential in baseball.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:25 AM)
All his K rates are 20-25% and all his walk rates are 3-4%. The biggest reason he's not like Hawkins is because he hasn't shown any power.

I don't think Hawkins could hit .380 in the minors for a full season unless you added his average up between two years.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 10:25 PM)
Definitely a Peralta panic move, Dombrowski had to see Garcia as wholly expendable. Just seems so out of character for them and odd for the team with the best run differential in baseball.

They are going to regret this.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 08:23 PM)
I do not like Avisail Garcia. Just want to say that. He can prove me wrong, but everything about him seems like classic value driving. Never put up good numbers in the minors over an extended period of time.

Pretty polarizing guy...I guess we have to hope the people that are high on him turn out to be correct..

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 11:22 PM)
The Sox collect free-swinging, toolsy outfielders like 9 year old me collected pogs and 26 year me collects hobo's toenails.

This worries me. Hockey fans will remember the Blackhawks had a 'fetish' for fleet skating, amazingly 'skilled' Russian players in the late 1990s and early 2000s...these guys turned out to be absolutely TURDS, because while they could skate well through cones and on the big euro ice against soft players, their game didn't translate here. The Hawks were a bottom feeder for years and then they eschewed that stupid philosophy and started going after guys who maybe didn't have this or that but...COULD JUST PLAY THE FREAKING GAME.

The Sox have become obsessed in the toolsy player like the Hawks were obsessed with Russian tomato cans. I hope this story doesn't have 6 or 7 years of abject failure waiting in store.

I don't mind this. Garcia is 6-fricking foot 4 and 240 pounds. The Tigers wanted to play him every day this year. He's the definition of a prospect.

This is a gamble I don't mind. It's going to be good to see a big strong guy in the lineup.

Alex Speier ‏@alexspeier 3s

Believe athletic 2B Cleuluis Rondon of Lowell is in the deal. As is Wendell Rijo, a 17-yr-old off to a spectacular start in the GCL

Yes Rijo!! Lottery ticket! Smart move Hahn!