Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 11:23 PM)
Grimm is Lance Broadway, Olt has been terrible in Iowa, CJ Edwards isa great A-ball pitcher and Neil Ramirez has questionable medicals.

And what can we say about our return?

I dont think our return is that bad, but expectations were too high.

And people are down on Olt too early. He was the 22nd ranked 'Spect coming into the season, and I think his vision loss affected his bat greatly. I believe he will make a full recovery from the injury. Olt can also stick at a more valuable position while adding plus defense. Edwards is the obvious X Factor here as he could be the best of the bunch.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 11:32 PM)
Why does everyone think DET got hosed? They just improved their infield defense -- their biggest weakness by far -- by about 200%. They're the team in the Majors that needs offensive production from their SS the LEAST.

Because they gave up their 2nd best prospect for that, who ended up on a division rival. Sorta weird.

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 11:31 PM)
Oh, he plays third. I thought for sure he played short.

My bad.

Castellanos is actually a LF. He started at 3B but he can't really hack it there and is blocked by Miggy.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 09:32 PM)
Why does everyone think DET got hosed? They just improved their infield defense -- their biggest weakness by far -- by about 200%. They're the team in the Majors that needs offensive production from their SS the LEAST.

They gave up their second best prospect to a division rival and gave a playoff foe a former cy young arm.

All for...

Yea... They gave up too much.

Stupid trade by Detroit.

Want to spin this very positively for yourself? We essentially traded Clayton Richard for Avisail Garcia! Or many of us doubted we'd even resign Jake last offseason and he'd walk away, so in the case we got Avisail for nothing.. All kidding aside count me in as one who likes the deal but I've also loved Garcia since seeing him last year

Avisail Garcia is not worth 2.5 years of Jake Peavy. He's not even worth a half season of Jake Peavy. 3 middling prospects doesn't swing the deal back in our favor either.

Failure of a trade for the Sox simply because we should've gotten more or just kept Peavy. Detroit is a massive winner in this, they dumped an overrated bum (that they know is overrated) on a division rival, shored up their IF defense and ensured they dont have to face Jake Peavy a bunch of times the next few seasons. Pretty damn smart.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 11:32 PM)

I definitely get where you're coming from but I just don't think Iglesias is going to be able to hit at all, certainly not enough to be an everyday ss. Giving up your 2nd best prospect and allowing a potential playoff opponent to get a lot better as well just doesn't make too much sense.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 05:39 AM)
Avisail Garcia is not worth 2.5 years of Jake Peavy. He's not even worth a half season of Jake Peavy. 3 middling prospects doesn't swing the deal back in our favor either.

Failure of a trade for the Sox simply because we should've gotten more or just kept Peavy. Detroit is a massive winner in this, they dumped an overrated bum (that they know is overrated) on a division rival, shored up their IF defense and ensured they dont have to face Jake Peavy a bunch of times the next few seasons. Pretty damn smart.

Agree on the first part. But Detroit is still a loser here. Red Sox just crushed everyone. Not sure how we let them by with a salary dump

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 11:39 PM)
I definitely get where you're coming from but I just don't think Iglesias is going to be able to hit at all, certainly not enough to be an everyday ss. Giving up your 2nd best prospect and allowing a potential playoff opponent to get a lot better as well just doesn't make too much sense.

Once upon a time the Tigers starting SS was Adam Everett, looks like a return to those days of past glory.