Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 02:10 PM)
Viciedo has made major strides. I really can't call that a dissapointment. He was raw and the development he's made has been great and is positioning him to turn into a good offensive player. Now, if next year, he's still putting up numbers like this year, then its time to end the experiment.

I don't feel like he's made the "Major strides" I wanted to see this year, although the last couple weeks have been very promising. In April and June he looked way too much like the old Viciedo, and he's taken a serious step backwards into comedic performance levels on defense when last year he was closing in on adequate.

If he can keep up the growth he's shown the last couple weeks then I'll change my tune, but I wanted to see a lot more of the May version of him this year and we haven't gotten much of that.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 12:53 PM)
Actually we might have to be...depends on what they want to do with Garcia though. If they want him starting...there's no starting spot in the OF right now.

Garcia could seriously benefit from more sharpening in the minors. Regardless, Rios is our best player - he really is. You can't just let him go without making his departure coincide with an influx of production in another position. Right now it would be very optimistic to say that Garcia can simply match Rios's production.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 12:54 PM)

Good lord was that bad. Just some TheoJed sucking

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 12:56 PM)
What makes you think we could get anything more than salary relief for him?

We're losing all the leverage and negotiating with just one team....not 10-15.

The White Sox are better off just dumping him and letting Garcia play his natural position....it's not like they have to keep him (Rios), like the situation with Alexei Ramirez not really having anyone yet who could step in and take that position over until at least mid-season 2014.

We don't have to move him this season. If we don't like the waiver market, there's an offseason when the market will be much more receptive to a player with high salary. Some team won't want to give 3-5 years and a higher yearly salary to a free agent corner OF'er and will likely prefer Rios and may give us a talented young player(s) to do so. This not to mention the fact that we can offer a discount on Rios's already fair contract to sweeten the pot.

I don't think we'll make a move during this season for that very reason. It'll be fine. Garcia can fine tune his offensive game in AAA, perhaps work on that walk rate, etc.

As far as position players go, outfield is our strength. We can deal with having an extra bat there until we get what we want for Rios. No reason to weaken the position of strength without making an area of weakness better.

I'm very optimistic about Dayan. He has made real steps forward against right handed pitching, especially but not only recently. We'll soon see his production pick back up against lefties and his overall numbers will look far better.

I think he can stay in LF defensively, too. Early in the season he had some horrendous play (must have been on the same defensive practice plan as the other two outfielders) but has since been largely good, short of the one time he couldn't pick up a baseball.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 12:15 PM)
Garcia could seriously benefit from more sharpening in the minors. Regardless, Rios is our best player - he really is. You can't just let him go without making his departure coincide with an influx of production in another position. Right now it would be very optimistic to say that Garcia can simply match Rios's production.

Good lord was that bad. Just some TheoJed sucking

We don't have to move him this season. If we don't like the waiver market, there's an offseason when the market will be much more receptive to a player with high salary. Some team won't want to give 3-5 years and a higher yearly salary to a free agent corner OF'er and will likely prefer Rios and may give us a talented young player(s) to do so. This not to mention the fact that we can offer a discount on Rios's already fair contract to sweeten the pot.

I don't think we'll make a move during this season for that very reason. It'll be fine. Garcia can fine tune his offensive game in AAA, perhaps work on that walk rate, etc.

As far as position players go, outfield is our strength. We can deal with having an extra bat there until we get what we want for Rios. No reason to weaken the position of strength without making an area of weakness better.

Would rather save $18 million (not an insignificant number to JR or Hahn) and let Garcia play RF (his natural position) and get comfortable at the major league level for the final two months...or at the very least, the entire month of September.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 11:12 AM)
I don't feel like he's made the "Major strides" I wanted to see this year, although the last couple weeks have been very promising. In April and June he looked way too much like the old Viciedo, and he's taken a serious step backwards into comedic performance levels on defense when last year he was closing in on adequate.

If he can keep up the growth he's shown the last couple weeks then I'll change my tune, but I wanted to see a lot more of the May version of him this year and we haven't gotten much of that.

His splits against righties have improved significantly. He's been more patient of late and his overall tools are just very impressive. I should point out when I was commenting on "strides" I am solely focusing on the offense. Viciedo's career will be directly tied to how good he can hit. If he can't hit, no one is going to keep him around for just his defense. Albeit, he has all the tools to be an above average left fielder (especially considering the hose he has).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 01:19 PM)
Would rather save $18 million (not an insignificant number to JR or Hahn) and let Garcia play RF (his natural position) and get comfortable at the major league level for the final two months...or at the very least, the entire month of September.

We're so far under budget that I would be very surprised if we gave up the chance to acquire talent just to not have to pay him for the rest of this season. The chances that we trade him become far more favorable in the offseason and this is when you start to add a sense of urgency to moving him. Avisail can come up and split at-bats at some point this season if the White Sox think he has nothing left to prove at AAA (where has yet to play even 40 games).

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 02:12 PM)
I think Law used to dislike the White Sox because KW had singled him out as an "idiot" in the past. I think he has since, more or less, buried the hatchet. There are reasons not to like Avisail Garcia. When he was asked about Avisail on ESPN, he was very diplomatic. He said there is division among people like him about how his approach will play at the MLB level over time. He first presented the case that many see him being a perennial all-star, but said that his and some others' opinion was that he "has no plan at the plate" and thus is unlikely to hit it big.

Joel (Washington, DC)

An observation not a question: when you see a guy like Brandon Cumpton (9th round draft pick) come up from AAA and shut out the Cardinals in a critical, playoff like game it puts our collective prospect obessions in perspective. Elite talent is essential, but depth is important also.

Klaw (1:31 PM)

Depth is huge. It takes 8 or 9 starters to get through a season unless you're the 2005 White Sox.

See Law doesn't in fact hate the Sox. Haha

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 01:10 PM)
Viciedo has made major strides. I really can't call that a dissapointment. He was raw and the development he's made has been great and is positioning him to turn into a good offensive player. Now, if next year, he's still putting up numbers like this year, then its time to end the experiment.

I disagree. Career high at swinging at pitches out of the zone, identical walk rate, much less power.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 03:05 PM)
I disagree. Career high at swinging at pitches out of the zone, identical walk rate, much less power.

O-Contact is way up as is overall contact. "Much" less power is debatable. If he hits a homer today, his ISO is going to be pretty much identical.

And this is without factoring in recent trends, in which we know he's been much better.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 03:11 PM)
O-Contact is way up as is overall contact. "Much" less power is debatable. If he hits a homer today, his ISO is going to be pretty much identical.

And this is without factoring in recent trends, in which we know he's been much better.

O-Contact being up would be fine if his overall production was increasing, but since he's hitting worse than last year, I can't consider that fact that he's whiffing 3% less on bad pitches to be good while he's also swinging at bad pitches 2% more often.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 01:35 PM)
O-Contact being up would be fine if his overall production was increasing, but since he's hitting worse than last year, I can't consider that fact that he's whiffing 3% less on bad pitches to be good while he's also swinging at bad pitches 2% more often.

Nothing against you but have you done enough research on variances in players O- Contacts rates to establish anything about it ? Maybe studied a group of high profile players from rookie year to now and see if there is any correlation ?

Sometimes you make it seem like its the end all be all of how good a player is or will become like you did with Garcia. Doesn't hitting for a high average mean anything at all ? I'd be pretty damn happy with every Sox prospect putting up a .380 batting average with lousy O-Contact rates wouldn't you ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 4, 2013 -> 08:55 AM)
Peavy got a win for Boston, Iglesias with an RBI single , HR and great D against the W. Sox. Garcia the only one involved in the trade not contributing in MLB.

With all due respect... What does it matter if we have no trade inclusion contributing at the MLB level at current time?

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 4, 2013 -> 10:55 AM)
Peavy got a win for Boston, Iglesias with an RBI single , HR and great D against the W. Sox. Garcia the only one involved in the trade not contributing in MLB.

And the White Sox are the 2nd worst team in all of MLB. Who cares?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 4, 2013 -> 07:27 PM)
I think everyone saw you drawing conclusions from your statement.

Nah can't see what's not there . I just made a statement of fact. I know Boston and Detroit are in positions to use who they got and we are not. Sometimes I just like to provoke conversation just by making a statement and seeing how others react to it. Everything I said was a fact. I never said Garcia should be with the Sox .

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 4, 2013 -> 10:01 PM)
Nah can't see what's not there . I just made a statement of fact. I know Boston and Detroit are in positions to use who they got and we are not. Sometimes I just like to provoke conversation just by making a statement and seeing how others react to it. Everything I said was a fact. I never said Garcia should be with the Sox .

Soooo you were going for that reaction, aka trolling for it.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 4, 2013 -> 08:02 PM)
Soooo you were going for that reaction, aka trolling for it.

If that's what you want to call it. That's subjective. I don't think what I said was offensive or meant to provoke an emotional response. I've seen a lot worse around here. Nor was I emotional in my statement of fact. That's all it was.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 08:52 PM)
Konerko was the #2 prospect in all of baseball entering the 1998 season. His age 21 season in AAA was stellar. It was in the PCL so the numbers are inflated a bit but 37 homers .327 avg over 1.000 OPS is quite impressive from a 21 year old.

What I said didn't exactly come out the way I wanted to say it. I meant to say that comparing Garcia to Konerko in his later years as an example of how he could learn to have a better approach is kind of a stretch. He could just as easily become tentative at the plate as he could become Paul Konerko of the previous couple seasons. In the end, we can only hope that he becomes as good of a player for us as Konerko has been for his 15 years here. He's certainly young with nothing left to prove in the minors, something Konerko was once upon a time.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 02:31 PM)
Joel (Washington, DC)

An observation not a question: when you see a guy like Brandon Cumpton (9th round draft pick) come up from AAA and shut out the Cardinals in a critical, playoff like game it puts our collective prospect obessions in perspective. Elite talent is essential, but depth is important also.

Klaw (1:31 PM)

Depth is huge. It takes 8 or 9 starters to get through a season unless you're the 2005 White Sox.

See Law doesn't in fact hate the Sox. Haha

He is calling 2005 luck with that comment. He takes any chance to belittle the Sox.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 09:41 AM)
He is calling 2005 luck with that comment. He takes any chance to belittle the Sox.

2005 was lucky. It doesn't change the fact that it was an incredible and magical year and that the Sox were an incredible team.