Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 05:44 PM)
Oh man, this place is gonna be a clusterf*** when we trade Peavy for a package centered around Will Middlebrooks or David Holmberg. It'd be super if they could, for once, exceed our expectations.

I would laugh so hard if it was Holmberg. After reading years of posts from people with Holmberg's nuts planted deeply in their mouths as a way to talk s*** about KW.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 05:56 PM)
Good for Hahn

I love that rival GMs are now starting to doubt whether he really is going to come down. If you don't give anything until the last minute, one of two good things can happen:

1. You concede a little, but you're not actually very far from your original price at this point. Compare this to a gradual back and forth where you've been steadily bidding yourself lower.

2. Somebody just meets your asking price because they want to be sure they get the guy.

There is a third option, which is that no trade happens.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 05:57 PM)
He's got a lot more power than Conor though. Drawing some walks would also help his cause.

That's my issue with him, the top position player coming back having a nice BB% would be preferable.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 06:57 PM)
He's got a lot more power than Conor though. Drawing some walks would also help his cause.

Yes he does but that isn't going to mean anything if he can't make enough contact to harness the power. Think Flowers.

His numbers through the minors were very similar to Conor, except his were more power driven while Conor makes better contact. He had that one great 2 month stretch last year in the bigs, that's his selling point.

IMO, if the Sox got him, he'd be a possible upgrade on Gillaspie with a very high potential to be a complete bust and a wild card chance of becoming a really great player. Maybe you take that chance, but he's not the centerpiece of anything, he's a throwin.

Those teams need Peavy a lot more than we need to get rid of him. If Pitt improves then the cards lose out and vise-versa. I think he goes to either of them two teams, because they'll want to prevent the other from getting the trade. What's it to Pitt if the cards lose prospects??? They absolutely don't want them to win this fiasco...it doesn't help them. Same with the cards for Pitt. Whoever gives the best package of those two I think gets the deal.

Edited by onedude

QUOTE (onedude @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 06:01 PM)
Those teams need Peavy a lot more than we need to get rid of him. If Pitt improves then the cards lose out and vise-versa. I think he goes to either of them two teams, because they'll want to prevent the other from getting the trade. What's it to Pitt if the cards lose prospects??? They absolutely don't want them to win this fiasco...it doesn't help them. Same with the cards for Pitt. Whoever gives the best package of those two I think gets the deal.

We certainly don't have to cut any payroll.

Sean McAdam @Sean_McAdam

Despite interest from 4 teams - Red Sox, A's, D'backs, Cards - sense is White Sox are coming down on Peavy asking price. #RedSoxTalk

There are rumors that states otherwise.

If Rick wants to come down on the asking price, it just goes to show you the franchise plans for a full rebuild next season.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 06:05 PM)
Sean McAdam @Sean_McAdam

Despite interest from 4 teams - Red Sox, A's, D'backs, Cards - sense is White Sox are coming down on Peavy asking price. #RedSoxTalk

There are rumors that states otherwise.

If Rick wants to come down on the asking price, it just goes to show you the franchise plans for a full rebuild next season.

Have the red Sox connections been the only ones to say this?

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 05:58 PM)
I would laugh so hard if it was Holmberg. After reading years of posts from people with Holmberg's nuts planted deeply in their mouths as a way to talk s*** about KW.

It certainly does seem Holberg got a heck of a lot worse when there is talk of him being acquired vs when the Jackson trade is ever mentioned.

QUOTE (onedude @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 06:06 PM)
Have the red Sox connections been the only ones to say this?

Yes.

Olney tweeted a bit ago that GMs are starting to doubt whether we are willing to budge off the asking price

QUOTE (onedude @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 06:10 PM)
Right...it seems like only the ones with connections to the redsox are posting stuff about the Sox willing to come down in their price...

Right that's what I said. I gave an example of how non-Red Sox people are saying the opposite

QUOTE (onedude @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 06:10 PM)
Right...it seems like only the ones with connections to the redsox are posting stuff about the Sox willing to come down in their price...

The only thing I can think of is if they pull the trigger they want their fanbase to think they waited Hahn out and got him down from his asking price. Other than that, it isn't going to serve any purpose.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 06:11 PM)
Right that's what I said. I gave an example of how non-Red Sox people are saying the opposite

Gotcha... I've read about 90% of this thread while it's been active, and I've been drinking for the last couple hours. Just now starting to get involved with some discussion.

Edited by onedude

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 06:13 PM)
Scott Merkin says he wouldnt be surprised of Peavy is pitching tomorrow with us blah blah blah....shooting down the rumors

I would be shocked but not upset. Hahn will have at least established himself as a guy who sticks to his guns.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 06:15 PM)
I would be shocked but not upset. Hahn will have at least established himself as a guy who sticks to his guns.

Now Rios and Peavy sticking around....that would piss some people off

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 06:15 PM)

That only matters if sticking to your guns brings good trade results.

On its own, it means nothing.