Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 04:46 AM)
I'll admit I liked what I saw out of him before, but the fact that Detroit willingly moved him to us frightens me a bit...the fact that Hahn made this crazy trade makes me feel good about him as a GM though...Kenny would have traded for Middlebrooks last week.

I wouldn't worry about Detroit willingly moving him being a problem. Detroit needs a shortstop right? Detroit has Miggy and Fielder for gosh sakes and will always be a big-time factor in free agency. Obviously they don't think he's going to be a star but at this point it's looking like a good gamble by the Sox.

Peavy is a great competitor but always an injury risk and Sox owed him a lot of $$. At least we get 3 low level prospects to go with Garcia. It coulda been 3 lower level prospects for peavy with Boston agreeing to pay the contract. I consider getting Garcia a surprising bonus. I thought Jerry just wanted to make sure to get rid of Peavy's contract, not caring much about getting a big-league ready player.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 10:49 PM)
Between Sanchez, Simien, Johnson, Rondon, Beckham and Anderson we should be good in the middle IF and UT in a few years. Between Garcia, Thompson, Viciedo, Hawkins and Walker, we should have a decent OF and 4th OF. We have pitching. Now fill the holes with all the money we have. At least it's a plan.

Don't forget about Brandon Jacobs

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 04:50 AM)
Pretty sure they just took advantage of the Rangers being desperate and Garza not being owed anything past this year. Really sounds like Peavy's additional year on his deal was more of a negative than a positive.

Agreed. I do wish we waited a year, but I guess you're risking injury.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 10:52 PM)
Makes you wonder about Mitchell, Walker, Thompson and Hawkins' future if they're trading for outfielders like Jacobs and Garcia.

Thompson isn't bad, he's still very young and has improved each year. Mitchell is done and Walker is young still and still very raw.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 04:50 AM)
I'm still baffled how AZ couldn't top this offer?!?!? Must have been the money Towers was demanding due to their weak-ass/fickled attendance... f*** off Towers....

That's got to be it, the $$$.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 10:52 PM)
Makes you wonder about Mitchell, Walker, Thompson and Hawkins' future if they're trading for outfielders like Jacobs and Garcia.

I think we're happy to play the odds and just get as many of them as possible. If there are more bats than we have places for, we'll figure that out later. Not a problem we've ever had before anyway

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 10:53 PM)
Gone after this year, long shot, 2 years away, no one knows

Why do you think Mitchell goes away? No reason not to just see if he finds it. He isn't exactly old

Also, I might be crazy and he has looked a lot better the past couple days, but unless Viciedo just murders the ball for the rest of the season, I see him being traded in the offseason. Or at the very least, not a projected starter (maybe a platoon DH/1B/LF type).