Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 11:00 PM)
I like it. Our org has a good track record at developing pitching. I'd rather we get raw arms then raw bats by and large. We have better odds at converting the raw arms, imo.

this is ultimately the bright spot for me...

Wendleken scouting report out of draft:

According to a major league source, the Red Sox have agreed to terms with right-hander J.B. Wendelken, the team’s 13th round selection in the 2012 draft. While the deal is not yet complete, pending the conclusion of routine procedures (including a physical and drug test), the 19-year-old would join the organization for $100,000.

In adding Wendelken, the Red Sox are adding a player from the same program where they had one of their greatest scouting successes in recent years. In 2006, the Red Sox had arguably their best pure scouting pick of the last decade when they selected outfielder Josh Reddick — a South Effingham High School product by way of Middle Georgia Junior College — in the 16th round of the draft. And so, they can be forgiven for going back to the well.

In Wendelken, they selected a pitcher who, like Reddick, was coming out of Middle Georgia by way of South Effingham, selecting J.B. Wendelken with their 13th round selection. Wendelken was dominant in 2012, going 7-0 with a 0.20 ERA while striking out 54 and walking eight in 46 innings. He features a fastball that has been described in different reports as topping out at 92-95 mph.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 09:02 PM)
Absolutely terrible return for Peavy, most likely because they were unwilling to assume any of Peavy's contract. The only saving grace is if this leads to better returns for Alexei and Rios and I'm skeptical.

Oh come on...i don't think anyone can say it is terrible...a bit risky, but has a lot of reward potential...just have to hope Garcia pans out, then the rest would just be gravy.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 04:58 AM)
Red Sox report Wendelken, Montas, Rondon to CWS

Two very young pitchers and a very young infielder to go with Garcia. The fact they also will pay Peavy's contract means this is a very good trade. I truthfully expected a trade in which we'd get the three young players with nobody like Garcia considering we were demanding teams take on Peavy's contract terms. Hahn now gets an A for this trade.

Very meh trade to me. I'm not extremely happy about it and I'm not angry about it. Garcia should be fun to watch and we did get some talented guys in the lower levels, though if I had to guess out of all 3 we probably get one major league reliever out of it. Anywho, also frees up money for more possible deals as bucket seems to be hinting at. We'll see what happens.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 05:03 AM)
Oh come on...i don't think anyone can say it is terrible...a bit risky, but has a lot of reward potential...just have to hope Garcia pans out, then the rest would just be gravy.

It is pretty awful. The package the Cubs got was indisputably better for an inferior pitcher and less of a market. Reading through this thread the package we got was lower than the lowest of expectations.

That said I'm excited about the money if we put it back into the organization. Certainly the best part

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 11:05 PM)
Very meh trade to me. I'm not extremely happy about it and I'm not angry about it. Garcia should be fun to watch and we did get some talented guys in the lower levels, though if I had to guess out of all 3 we probably get one major league reliever out of it. Anywho, also frees up money for more possible deals as bucket seems to be hinting at. We'll see what happens.

What did Bucket say about possible other deals?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 05:03 AM)

Being cheap at the cost of prospect quality will only make the rebuilding process longer and more difficult. They have tons of budget room but they decided to be cheap instead and got fringy prospects that are unlikely to make an impact.

Edited by chunk23

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 11:02 PM)
Not an awful deal, as I think Garcia is more of a sure-thing to be a everyday starter than someone like Cecchini.

Agree with fathom. More of a sure thing, but excited to see what he can become.

Also, I like to think you can add some potential FA signings as part of this deal (Just like in 05 Carlos Lee did not equal only Pods and Vizcaino, but also partially to Pierzynski/Dye/Iguchi). I don't think there was anyway the Sox would have eaten portions of Peavy's contract and also potentially Rios' and/or Ramirez's contracts while also signing an impact player in FA in the offseason.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 04:08 AM)
I also think the ideas of what we could get for Peavy were a little far fetched.

I completely agree, and still believe the Rangers desperate move to give up too much for Garza made expectations unrealistic.