Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 11:42 PM)
So who are the Sox going to build around now that Peavy is gone? I really believed Hahn yesterday :)

Would have been Rienzo if he wasn't such a damn liar. Need a guy with good character to be the leader and will our team to wins.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 11:39 PM)
I definitely get where you're coming from but I just don't think Iglesias is going to be able to hit at all, certainly not enough to be an everyday ss. Giving up your 2nd best prospect and allowing a potential playoff opponent to get a lot better as well just doesn't make too much sense.

Maybe Detroit doesn't think Peavy is that good anyway (or health concerns).

Also the short stop market is next to nil.

Last, as I stated before I saw your post, Detroit is in win now mode. Holding onto your second best prospect (lets be real here, Detroit's system isn't great anyway) doesn't do you any good, especially when he doesn't fit on the currently constructed roster.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 09:39 PM)
Avisail Garcia is not worth 2.5 years of Jake Peavy. He's not even worth a half season of Jake Peavy. 3 middling prospects doesn't swing the deal back in our favor either.

Failure of a trade for the Sox simply because we should've gotten more or just kept Peavy. Detroit is a massive winner in this, they dumped an overrated bum (that they know is overrated) on a division rival, shored up their IF defense and ensured they dont have to face Jake Peavy a bunch of times the next few seasons. Pretty damn smart.

1.) Peavy is signed for 1.5 years

2.) How does a top 100 prospect in all of baseball, the number two guy in the Tiger org, become a bum by hitting .380+ and displaying 5 tools?

3.) The Tigers still will have to face Peavy when it matters... in the post season.

Stupid trade for Detroit.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 11:39 PM)
I definitely get where you're coming from but I just don't think Iglesias is going to be able to hit at all, certainly not enough to be an everyday ss. Giving up your 2nd best prospect and allowing a potential playoff opponent to get a lot better as well just doesn't make too much sense.

In fairness to Detroit, their line up is certainly good enough to hide a great defensive SS. They need to win now. Their window is closing. They got better where they needed to the most.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 11:28 PM)
South Side Sox ‏@SouthSideSox 1m

Then there's this. / RT @based_ball: Avisail Garcia has Triple-A's ninth-highest swing rate, 18th-lowest contact rate (sample = 365 players)

Expand

Food for thought.

What does that mean? He swings at everything and strikes out a lot?

Avisail Garcia (@AvisailGarcia34) tweeted at 11:47 PM on Tue, Jul 30, 2013:

I'm also looking fwd to my new journey in the @whitesox organization and I am very grateful for this opportunity.. #Chicago here we come!

hopefully ,literally chicago

Edited by Melissa1334

I'm good with this . Has anyone mentioned Garcia went 5 for 11 in the ALCS with a double 3 ribbies and a steal ? Overall playoffs AVG. .261 4 ribbies at just over 21 yrs old !

I always get the sense here that a lot of guys on here are enamored of guys in the minors and the minute they hit the majors and don't immediately tear the world apart they lose their luster. Garcia is so much better than many of the guys mentioned in the past few days. Very high upside like batting champ, 30HR potential 25 stolen bases and a cannon for an arm equally as good if not better than Vicideo's.

He's barely 22 and has MLB playoff experience and done well to boot. 3 low level prospects and another $20 mill to play with.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

If he taps into that raw power of his, oh boy...Giddy up.

A Rios deal has to be on the horizon tomorrow. Unless they plan on moving Tank to 1B it make no sense to have Garcia repeat AAA or be a 4th OFer. Don't really like that plan too much though. I think it makes more since to get a one of Morales, Morse, or Napoli in the offseason.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 08:58 PM)
He's barely 22 and has MLB playoff experience and done well to boot. 3 low level prospects and another $20 mill to play with.

Horrible trade. Shut up with your flawed logic.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 12:58 AM)
I'm good with this . Has anyone mentioned Garcia went 5 for 11 in the ALCS with a double 3 ribbies and a steal ? Overall playoffs AVG. .261 4 ribbies.

I always get the sense here that a lot of guys on here are enamored of guys in the minors and the minute they hit the majors and don't immediately tear the world apart they lose their luster. Garcia is so much better many of the guys mentioned in the past few days. Very high upside like batting champ, 30HR potential 25 stolen bases and a cannon for an arm equally as good if not better than Vicideo's.

Some guys just immediately anoint anybody they know NOTHING about trash.

Michael Joseph Papazian · Follow · Top Commenter · Danbury

Hate to lose Garcia. Especially to the White Sox because that is who ended up getting him in the three team trade but Inglesias is a great shortstop and he has speed also. Looks like the Tigers lost Vallerial also. Hope this works out for them. Even if Jhonny isn't suspended he is a better option than Santiago and Perez to back Peralta up.

Reply · 4 · Like · Follow Post · 47 minutes ago

Tony Nacelewicz · Follow · Top Commenter

We already have some infielders with good gloves that can't hit. We don't need another one. Diaz would have done just as good without having to give up Garcia. And we don't need him as a backup either. It doesn't make sense for young kids with potential to come up only to sit on the bench. That's why we have bench players like Santiago and Kelly. Garcia was going to be our right fielder of the future.

Reply · 4 · Like · 23 minutes ago

Mike Amarose · Top Commenter

Tony I completely agree with u... We have 3 players on our roster that can do exactly the same things Iglacias does... If your going to trade Garcia do it to sure up the pen and it wouldn't sting so bad

Reply · Like · 8 minutes ago

Bob Waynick · School of Hard Knocks, University of Life

gave up a 5 tool player plus more maybe...not sure this guy is worth that,we'll see I guess

Reply · 3 · Like · Follow Post · 46 minutes ago

Dave Helmka · Top Commenter · Grand Rapids Community College

Garcia, a 5 tooler? lol. No!

Reply · 2 · Like · 35 minutes ago

Jason Cline · Top Commenter

Garcia is pretty good, but not a 5 tool player.

Reply · 1 · Like · 28 minutes ago

David Marlar · Top Commenter

He'll like grow too big for center so he'll be a decent corner outfielder with a good arm, solid power, and slightly above average speed. He could develop more power and become a great hitter, but it's really tough to know at this point. He could fall back to earth and end up a 4th outfielder. The team clearly prefer Castellanos.

Reply · 3 · Like · 23 minutes ago

View 1 more

Derek Dake · Marquette, Michigan

I don't like it. Iglesias a proven big league shortstop? He hasn't even played a full year yet. He hasn't put together any type of offensive numbers even in the minors. We needed a shortstop for a few months, but I think we gave them way too much and got too little. This is a gamble no matter which way you slice it.

Reply · 2 · Like · Follow Post · 36 minutes ago

Jason Cline · Top Commenter

I kind of agree. Hopefully they know something we don't. At least he'll be a stop gap this year and the next few years while we wait for JP's replacement. I like speed on the bases though.

Reply · Like · 29 minutes ago

Bob Frost · Top Commenter

He may be your shortstop for the next few years, too. Jhonny is in a contract year, and will have declining skills from this point forward, since he wont risk a second pop for PEDs. And as such, his power numbers will come down to earth. He has no range, so the only thing that keeps him a positive is the pop in his bat. Which will now be gone.

Reply · Like · 9 minutes ago

Mike Cardinal · Follow · Grand Blanc, Michigan

HORRIBLE TRADE

Reply · 2 · Like · Follow Post · 23 minutes ago

Steve Johnson · Top Commenter · Baker University

News flash people we don't lack hitting. Peralta has had a great year no doubt but replacing him with a guy they say that has potential all-star defense in the event Peralta gets suspended is a good thing. This could improve us tremendously, yes Peralta is a good defensive SS on balls he can get to but there is no arguing he has just about zero range. This will really help our infield especially with guys like Porcello who gets the majority of the balls hit on the ground. If he can bat about .270 and just get on base, play above average defense, I am going to love this move. Although I liked Garcia and could see him come back to haunt us in a few games, when it comes to the world series pitching and defense pays dividends we have really made some strong moves to help that cause in the last couple days! GO TIGERS!! Tough moves but I think very smart in the long run.

Reply · 1 · Like · Follow Post · 18 minutes ago

Benjamin A Trujillo · Top Commenter · Mora High

great trade,lov it!

Reply · 1 · Like · Follow Post · 13 minutes ago

Al Raguckas · Top Commenter · Lewis University

I am a fan of Garcia, but go to youube and check out highlights of this kid Iglesias. He will be a definite asset at SS.

Reply · Like · Follow Post · 4 seconds ago

Ashley Myers · University of Michigan

Cheers to this being another Jeff Bagwell for Larry Andersen trade!

from freep.com/sports

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 11:58 PM)
He will fit right in with our other minor league players.

And major leaguers in that aspect.

I can live with Ks, but he's got a really low walk rate. That never seems to bother the Sox though. Hahn said this 3rd team together today...when did the Sox last scout him?

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 11:52 PM)
Makes you wonder about Mitchell, Walker, Thompson and Hawkins' future if they're trading for outfielders like Jacobs and Garcia.

If we ever actually get to a point that we have too many outfielders kicking ass at AAA, that would be a nice problem to have. Then trade one.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 12:18 AM)
So you hate Yasiel Puig ?

I think what he is getting at (and what isn't an unreasonable feeling to have) is as a Sox fan we have just witnessed yet another "toolsy" guy get brought into our system. This may in fact finally be the one who pans out, or at the least, plays some MLB level baseball. None of us know what the future holds for this kid, but we all do know that we've seen a dozen of these type guys come into the system under KW with the same type of hype. I think it is more or less frustration on the part of those unhappy because we have seen this type of player fail everytime so far.

Personally, I'm excited. However, it would be nice to just get a "ballplayer" for a change instead of an athlete. Being that we weren't getting top 30 lock caliber players, you had to make a move for "lottery tickets" and I'd say he is one of the best ones out there. If he puts it together, time will tell. I will say that his swing to contact rate is scary. 22 years old or not, that needs to improve and soon.

Edited by HeGone7