Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

So, my main reaction is "it sure seems like the White Sox really think that the next premium in baseball will be on power bats". I'm not sure I disagree. We've targeted a corner OF power bat in 2 straight trades and we've drafted them repeatedly as well.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 07:24 AM)
It's his 22-25% strikeout rates and 3-5% walk rates every year. and the fact that his O-Swing im the majors is 41%, FORTY ONE PERCENT: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playe...amp;position=OF

That kind of stuff often works out in the minors against bad pitchers that can't locate consistently, but you can count on one hand the amount of above average Major Leaguers that have that level of hackitude. Once the league figures out where the holes in the swing are, they start feeding you nothing but what you can't hit, and if you refuse to stop swinging at it, you tend to suck.

Obviously he might learn to be better, but it doesn't happen often, and I've NEVER seen it happen in the White Sox system. I'll be very excited if he's the first, but I'm disappointed that Hahn -- especially if he was going to settle for just one notable prospect -- couldn't leverage Peavy into a guy that's more polished than this for his age.

The only way Hahn gets better prospects was to include money to offset more of Peavy's contract. We sent nothing across. I find it amazing that we received a top 100 prospect in the first place with the money involved. Lets see what's happens later this afternoon to see the entire fallout of this trade. Maybe we send some money across in one of the other trades to increase that return.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 01:34 AM)
I can't believe how many people hate this deal, or have any opinion other than us doing very nicely in this deal. Peavy was f***ing injured just a couple weeks ago, he has been injured for half his time in the Sox uniform. We traded essentially NOTHING to get Peavy in the first place, and now we get in return a very promising young OF, and 3 low-level prospects that seem to each have a plus tool respectively. The rumors going around must have inflated everyone's value of Peavy over what was actual. I saw reports that said the best guy the DBacks would relinquish was David Holmberg. I'd take Avisail Garcia over Holmberg 8 days out of the week. If Davidson or Owings were available, then that sucks we missed out, but we also have no idea if Towers only wanted a 1 for 1 swap of those guys, or maybe 1 of them + a low level guy, but the Sox eating $5-10M of Peavy's deal. We have no idea.

I am COMPLETELY content with this deal. I think we got a haul very comparable to what the Cubs got for Garza. We got the best guy of all those prospects, the Cubs got the 2nd and 3rd best, while shedding a lot less payroll. It's a trade-off, IMO.

This is one of your better posts.

Jake Peavy is an extremely expensive, league-average pitcher who can't stay healthy this year. The Sox wound up with a very solid haul out of that based on name recognition alone.

I do love how by switching Sox Jake just became two times better in the eyes of the media.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 11:44 AM)
It sounds like Peter Gammons got to you too! Cherington did a good job of finding a desperate contender so he could only give up a lower rated but major league ready player.

Yeah Peter Gammons redeemed. The genius of the Red Sox has been restored, at least for the day. To be able to fleece not one, but two teams is impressive. Who was far and away the best prospect we got from them?

Brandon Jacobs! Oh s*** but that was for the mediocre 38 year reliever, not best starting pitcher out there. Heck Jacobs was even more well though than Iglesias before he started hanging around David Ortiz suspiciously often.

Good for the Red Sox. Would now much prefer them to win it all compared to most other AL contenders.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 07:55 AM)
Yeah Peter Gammons redeemed. The genius of the Red Sox has been restored, at least for the day. To be able to fleece not one, but two teams is impressive. Who was far and away the best prospect we got from them?

Brandon Jacobs! Oh s*** but that was for the mediocre 38 year reliever, not best starting pitcher out there. Heck Jacobs was even more well though than Iglesias before he started hanging around David Ortiz suspiciously often.

Good for the Red Sox. Would now much prefer them to win it all compared to most other AL contenders.

Jacobs isn't a better prospect than Garcia.

Its a solid return for Peavy. I trust the sox ability to develop pitchers especially the likes of Francellis Montas. The sox just haven't produced the same results with hitters. Having said that I look at Avisail and i see the potential to become Jose Guillen at the mid point and a right handed Cargo if everything maxes out, at a better defensive position in RF, his floor is free swinging player that never put it together.

I look forward to seeing what the sox do with the money saved with regards to rios/ramirez/dunn.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 07:47 AM)
So, my main reaction is "it sure seems like the White Sox really think that the next premium in baseball will be on power bats". I'm not sure I disagree. We've targeted a corner OF power bat in 2 straight trades and we've drafted them repeatedly as well.

Agree. Pitching and power are how the Sox try to win. My guess is they figure if a hitter's power develops so will his ability to judge the strike zone. Somewhat like Lee and Ordonez.

Also why they drafted Barnum and Hawkins, to go along with Trayce Thompson...

So you add Garcia with Viciedo, you're only now left trying to replace power at the infield corners...although the odds seem pretty high that they'll continue with the Gillaspie/Keppinger platoon until/unless they acquire a better/non-platoon option.

Even Semien fits the profile (for now) of someone who could put up 12-18 homers (which is essentially what you'd expect out of a healthy Beckham).

And we need some more pop out of SS.

Jury still out on Phegley/Flowers for the next 58 games...and probably going into 2014 as well. Hopefully one of them will emerge as the clear winner.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 08:53 AM)
This was a hell of a deal for us. Peavy is an injury prone expensive starter and we got high upside prospects and our RF'er for next year moving forward. We also did this without paying a dime of Peavy's salary.

Well done, so well done.

I don't disagree with this. So far, I'd give Hahn a C+. Rios, Ramirez, De Aza, Reed, and Dunn need to go today.

I saw someone mention that the Sox are really focusing on powerhitters in the minors. I am guessing they are the new moneyball approach of finding value, especially with the end of the steroid era and the crash of power numbers around baseball. It will be interesting to see if it works out.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 02:57 PM)
I don't disagree with this. So far, I'd give Hahn a C+. Rios, Ramirez, De Aza, Reed, and Dunn need to go today.

I'm thinking De Aza has more value in the offseason when a team is trying to find a leadoff hitter. I'm not sure if there are any contenders out there that are desperate for a leadoff hitter right now.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 08:57 AM)

Rios had his bags packed monday essentially so if his foot checks out I would be shocked if he wasnt gone.

Heard no chatter on Reed, Dunn and De Aza whatsoever

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 07:53 AM)
This was a hell of a deal for us. Peavy is an injury prone expensive starter and we got high upside prospects and our RF'er for next year moving forward. We also did this without paying a dime of Peavy's salary.

Well done, so well done.

If he could manage that with John Danks, then Hahn would be an early favorite for GM/Administrator of the Year, if you could simultaneously manage to get rid of Ramirez and Rios without eating any salary....or eating significant salary and getting back Top 75-150 level MLB prospects. (DeAza would be a great 4th outfielder for a contender, as well).

Most of us would rather see the "prospect treasure chest" refilled for the immediate gratification, but surely the money/savings from Peavy and others (Thornton, possibly $1 million or so with Crain) will be reinvested eventually, when the time is right.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 07:38 AM)
Well if you read the rest of the article, he actually feels great about the trade from the BOS perspective

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 07:45 AM)
He's not saying that it's a bad trade for Boston. He is implying that two years ago, Boston would rather stand pat on win the wild card than spend $20 mil on Peavy and give up a few prospects. But the randomness of the new wild-card game forced them to be aggressive and go for the division.

Yeah, I get that. I'm just saying that it seems like consensus is that this is a no-brainer trade. It really wasn't all that "aggressive" to give up your pre-season #12 prospect and some ranom org guys for the best pitcher on the market with 2 years of control. I can't believe they wouldn't make that deal even with only one wildcard.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 10:02 AM)
If he could manage that with John Danks, then Hahn would be an early favorite for GM/Administrator of the Year, if you could simultaneously manage to get rid of Ramirez and Rios without eating any salary....or eating significant salary and getting back Top 75-150 level MLB prospects. (DeAza would be a great 4th outfielder for a contender, as well).

Most of us would rather see the "prospect treasure chest" refilled for the immediate gratification, but surely the money/savings from Peavy and others (Thornton, possibly $1 million or so with Crain) will be reinvested eventually, when the time is right.

You don't win executive of the year by moving contracts, you win executive of the year with wins.

We are currently at about $74 million payroll for next year. If Rios and/or Alexei/other vets go, that gets substantially lower.

I've never known JR to sit on a low payroll just for s***s and giggles. I have to think we'll be spending some money, though I don't anticipate we'll be trying to max out the payroll.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 08:00 AM)
Rios had his bags packed monday essentially so if his foot checks out I would be shocked if he wasnt gone.

Heard no chatter on Reed, Dunn and De Aza whatsoever

We've seen the last couple of weeks...unless you want to experience complete frustration in the starting staff, you STILL have to have some credible components at the back of the bullpen, especially with Lindstrom probably getting dumped on someone.

At this point, with his contract (2013) at only $500K, he (Lindstrom) might be worth it more to us as a veteran stabilizer before the entire bullpen falls apart.

Unless you can get something like a Top 3-4-5-6 prospect (see the Astros/Tigers deal for Veras) in a strong system, you probably are better off holding onto Addison Reed unless someone overwhelms you with an offer.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 08:03 AM)
You don't win executive of the year by moving contracts, you win executive of the year with wins.

But Cherington clearing out Crawford, Adrian Gonzalez and Beckett went 50% of the way to his winning the award THIS YEAR.

For the AL, Friedman, Beane and Antonetti are the other options for that award, with some probably giving it to Cashman, just, because...well, he has to deal with A-Rod.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:02 AM)
Yeah, I get that. I'm just saying that it seems like consensus is that this is a no-brainer trade. It really wasn't all that "aggressive" to give up your pre-season #12 prospect and some ranom org guys for the best pitcher on the market with 2 years of control. I can't believe they wouldn't make that deal even with only one wildcard.

He's also due $20 million for 1.5 years, is constantly injured and has been bad in limited postseason experience, so I don't think it was a no-brainer.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 10:05 AM)
We've seen the last couple of weeks...unless you want to experience complete frustration in the starting staff, you STILL have to have some credible components at the back of the bullpen, especially with Lindstrom probably getting dumped on someone.

At this point, with his contract (2013) at only $500K, he (Lindstrom) might be worth it more to us as a veteran stabilizer before the entire bullpen falls apart.

Unless you can get something like a Top 3-4-5-6 prospect (see the Astros/Tigers deal for Veras) in a strong system, you probably are better off holding onto Addison Reed unless someone overwhelms you with an offer.

No one at all should care about the back end of the bullpen falling apart this year.

I'd be much more content with giving those innings to guys in Charlotte.

Next offseason you're right, we're going to have to spend some money there to find a couple veterans, probably one from each side, but for now, let the kids play.

We are currently at about $74 million payroll for next year. If Rios and/or Alexei/other vets go, that gets substantially lower.

I've never known JR to sit on a low payroll just for s***s and giggles. I have to think we'll be spending some money, though I don't anticipate we'll be trying to max out the payroll.

That's part of the reason I'd rather eat money in these trades to get back better prospects. The more money the Sox have to spend in the offseason, the higher chances they hand out a contract that makes Dunn look like a steal.

I am pleased with the deal. Garcia is a high-potential power hitter CLOSE to the majors and we got rid of all of Peavy's salary.

And I like Montas a lot. Regardless of whether he makes an impact himself, those are good assets to collect in the minors.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:08 AM)
But Cherington clearing out Crawford, Adrian Gonzalez and Beckett went 50% of the way to his winning the award THIS YEAR.

For the AL, Friedman, Beane and Antonetti are the other options for that award, with some probably giving it to Cashman, just, because...well, he has to deal with A-Rod.

The Red Sox lost 93 games last year. They are on pace to win 96 games THIS YEAR.