Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 10:27 AM)
But they potentially gave up their RF of the future? Maybe it makes them better this year, but in the future they may wish they still had Garcia instead of Julio.

Tigers aren't building a team, the team is already complete. They've got an open championship window they're trying to head through. You make that move if you have to. Kind of like the Bulls with the Bobcats pick, that's an asset and if you have a chance to use it to acquire a player that gets them over the hump, you don't hold onto the pick. Championships > assets

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:35 AM)
I know, but I was just commeting on the criticism that they Sox made a competitor better. Who cares about this year and seeing Iglsesias at SS the rest of the decade doesn't scare me. They gave up a potentially good young hitter too.

The Tigers need to win this year or next. Verlander is declining. VMart and Hunter are old. Peralta's juiced. Fielder and MCab are really fat.

Dayan, Avisail, De Aza, Beckham, Gillaspie, Phegley - That's not a bad young core to start building around. Get one or two of Semien, Wilkins, Sanchez, Trayce Thompson, Brandon Jacobs and you're doing pretty good. Hopefully Dayan and Avisail really figure it out, because they both have some insane upside as 3-4-5 bats

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 10:45 AM)
Dayan, Avisail, De Aza, Beckham, Gillaspie, Phegley - That's not a bad young core to start building around. Get one or two of Semien, Wilkins, Sanchez, Trayce Thompson, Brandon Jacobs and you're doing pretty good. Hopefully Dayan and Avisail really figure it out, because they both have some insane upside as 3-4-5 bats

This org has talent in it that can contribute pretty soon, now it's all about turning that talent into actual big league contributors.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:45 AM)

That's a hell of a anti-OBP and anti-Sabermetrics lineup.

I dont see three of those players as even league average players.

If we get OBP guys like Semien and Wilkins to Pan out and sign a guy like Ellsbury, then it would be much more pleasant.

Guy from baseball Prospectus says the Sox got more for Peavy than the cubs got for Garza, take that Theo. Garcia is a legitimate MLB player.

The Tigers lost this deal more than anyone.

The Sox got an everyday MLB ready outfielder and $20M for Jake Peavy, not bad. If they eat money on Ramirez, Dunn and/or Rios, and get good prospects, now you have something.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:38 AM)
Tigers aren't building a team, the team is already complete. They've got an open championship window they're trying to head through. You make that move if you have to. Kind of like the Bulls with the Bobcats pick, that's an asset and if you have a chance to use it to acquire a player that gets them over the hump, you don't hold onto the pick. Championships > assets

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:38 AM)
The Tigers need to win this year or next. Verlander is declining. VMart and Hunter are old. Peralta's juiced. Fielder and MCab are really fat.

I understand completely why the Tigers made the move. But for the future, the Sox probably got a better player than Detroit did, so it's OK for Hahn to trade with a competitor, which the earlier post criticized. Detroit gets better today when the Sox suck, Sox potentially got a great player for the future.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:48 AM)
This org has talent in it that can contribute pretty soon, now it's all about turning that talent into actual big league contributors.

I still think that Dayan is the player most able to turn this franchise around. I wouldn't call it a likelihood that he does, but if he just starts to sniff his potential...

The nice thing about getting Garcia is that it makes it hurt less if Dayan does not eventually pan out. I doubt they both fall flat.

It should be said that IMO Garcia does not have as high of upside (as a hitter) as Viciedo.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:57 AM)
I don't disagree with this. So far, I'd give Hahn a C+. Rios, Ramirez, De Aza, Reed, and Dunn need to go today.

People need to stop saying Reed needs to go anywhere. He makes peanuts. He only goes if we're blown away with an offer.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 07:48 AM)

They've been really good at developing pitching talent. Wish they were better at producing offensive players.

from baseballamerica.com

The centerpiece of the deal for the White Sox, Garcia rocketed up prospect lists with an outstanding 2012 season and has done nothing to diminish his stock this year. Considering his proximity to the majors and recent minor league track record, Garcia is ready to help the White Sox now. A similar frame, stance and swing as Miguel Cabrera earned him the nickname “Little Miggy” from Tigers teammates last season, though Garcia’s game isn’t centered entirely on his bat. He’s a five-tool talent who runs, throws and defends enough to handle center field in his youth and right field down the line. He’ll never draw a ton of walks, but Garcia has enhanced his pitch recognition in recent years and doesn’t swing and miss excessively for a young power. Expect him to eclipse his career high for home runs (17 last year) within the next few seasons because he drives the ball with authority to all fields—and it won’t hurt that Chicago’s U.S. Cellular Field is a friendly place for righthanded power.

Francellis Montas, rhp

Career Transactions: Signed as international free agent by Red Sox, Dec. 14, 2009

Club Lg Class W L ERA G GS CG SV IP H HR BB SO BB/9 SO/9 WHIP

Greenville SAL LoA 2 9 5.70 19 18 1 0 85 94 10 32 96 3.38 10.13 1.48

Incredible arm strength—he bumped 100 mph in the Dominican Summer League after signing—helped Montas stand out as an amateur, but inconsistent command and unrefined secondary pitches hold him back as a starter in low Class A. He pitches at 92-95 mph, sinking the ball to his arm side or cutting it in on the hands of lefties, though his mid-80s breaking ball lacks shape and finish. A wide, mature frame and max-effort delivery probably consign him to a future in the bullpen, but he has the fastball for such a role. (Don Cooper project, with Santos Rodriguez and Olacio, to name just a few).

Cleuluis Rondon, 2b/ss

Career Transactions: Signed as international free agent by Red Sox, Nov. 19, 2010

Club Lg Class AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB OBP SLG OPS

Lowell NYP SS .276 37 123 13 34 4 1 1 10 7 26 6 .326 .350 .676

A career .216/.315/.304 hitter at three short-season stops, Rondon offers plus range and hands at either shortstop or second base, but international scouts never were convinced he would hit.

J.B. Wendelken, rhp

Career Transactions: Selected by Red Sox in 13th round of 2012 draft; signed June 19, 2012

Club Lg Class W L ERA G GS CG SV IP H HR BB SO BB/9 SO/9 WHIP

Greenville SAL LoA 2 0 2.77 27 0 0 10 65 59 4 20 54 2.77 7.48 1.22

Signed for $100,000 out of Middle Georgia JC, Wendelken has the lowest ceiling of the prospects acquired by the White Sox, with an average, low-90s sinker and substandard secondary stuff. All 40 of his career appearances have come in relief.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 10:02 AM)
Would he be a good defensive shortstop? We need that.

I would say he probably couldn't be much better than average and there is some chance that he is bad at SS. I'm okay with that, though, if it makes room for a good 2B.

I'd just assume bring up Semien, really

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 10:05 AM)
If you trade Alexei today, it wouldn't hurt to give Beckham a tryout at SS the rest of the way.

I still would be interested in bringing Semien up. Can't argue with having Beckham slide over, though. Wouldn't mind seeing Sanchez up, but it would be like Jose Iglesias in that you know he's not going to hit

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:53 AM)
I understand completely why the Tigers made the move. But for the future, the Sox probably got a better player than Detroit did, so it's OK for Hahn to trade with a competitor, which the earlier post criticized. Detroit gets better today when the Sox suck, Sox potentially got a great player for the future.

This was a Kenny Williams style deal by Detroit. I don't know how better to describe it. They filled an area of direct need, and gave up a big time prospect to do it.

Marty, can we wait until the end of 2013 or hopefully the 2nd half of 2014 or do we want to restart rehashing all these Viciedo threads over again?

They're not going to stick Jacobs or Mitchell out there, and they're not going to spend money on free agents in this offseason. However, you might get your wish half fulfilled if Alexei is traded.

The fact is, Viciedo's the most likely hitter under age 30 to hit 30 or more homers at the major league level next season for the White Sox. That won't change between now and April, 2014.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:56 AM)
People need to stop saying Reed needs to go anywhere. He makes peanuts. He only goes if we're blown away with an offer.

I havent heard anything legit surrounding trade talks for him.

However that may change with that fireballer from Boston. That guy has future closer written all over him.

Edited by RockRaines

To cross over sports here, I think comparing Avisail Garcia to Miguel Cabrera is like comparing Glen Davis to Shaquille O'Neal. There are some similarities, but really, they are incredibly different players who do some similar things on the field/court because they play the same sport and have similar body styles

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:09 PM)
I havent heard anything legit surrounding trade talks for him.

However that may change with that fireballer from Boston. That guy has future closer written all over him.

He has 'future tradebait' also written all over him. Really liked that acquisition.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 10:03 AM)
I would say he probably couldn't be much better than average and there is some chance that he is bad at SS. I'm okay with that, though, if it makes room for a good 2B.

I'd just assume bring up Semien, really

If we are bad at SS, it needs to be bad at hitting. They've got to be able to field. If we can fix the defense while we rebuild, we'll be respectable. Beckham's a good 2b...and 3B from what I saw a couple of years ago.